Excorrolla Registered User

Hey folks just to warn people about 2011 Toyota Corolla diesel d4d. They have a problem once you go above 130000k where some gears can no longer be engaged. To fix the issue the gearbox needs to be removed which is going to cost you north of 1000 euros..Toyota customer support will not admit a fault and you are left to carry the cost. They will use excuse car is out of warranty ..note newer models may be affected also as Toyota seem to be in denial problem exists...be warned...ask around some independent garages and you will find this is becoming a known problem.. any prospective buyer of Corolla take note and stay away

JohnBoy26 Registered User

(Invalid img)

6 people have thanked this post
road_high Registered User

Had one on loan for a day this year even my beautiful Mazda 6 was in the garage...so you needn't warm me anyhow- the drive and quality of this car was bad enough to put me off!
New car but seriously underpowered (foot to floor and nothing much happens). The interior is also very very low rent. Taken on its merits I can't understand how these are still best sellers. The styling is actually not too bad but the car itself is not good...

3 people have thanked this post

road_high said:
Had one on loan for a day this year even my beautiful Mazda 6 was in the garage...so you needn't warm me anyhow- the drive and quality of this car was bad enough to put me off!
New car but seriously underpowered (foot to floor and nothing much happens). The interior is also very very low rent. Taken on its merits I can't understand how these are still best sellers. The styling is actually not too bad but the car itself is not good...

They are the most reliable diesel of the lot and they actually are a good car if you take them on their merits. They provide hassle free low cost motoring with good reliability and build quality.

In years to come when your beautiful mazda has turned to rust or is scrapped when the engine goes bang there will still be plenty of these around still going and rust free.

road_high Registered User

JohnBoy26 said:
They are the most reliable diesel of the lot and they actually are a good car if you take them on their merits. They provide hassle free low cost motoring with good reliability and build quality.

In years to come when your beautiful mazda has turned to rust or is scrapped when the engine goes bang there will still be plenty of these around still going and rust free.

Ha ha like for like basis current Mazda range are leagues ahead of these, I buy new so it's the here and now I'm interested in, and going by the current build quality I wouldn't be so sure. The old corollas were decent, these are 2nd rate crap. And they feel and drive the same. It was one of the worst cars I'd driven in a long time, the engine is gutless.
I actually quite like the styling and with a decent engine, interior improvements (the "entertainment" system was like a step back in time!) it mightn't be a bad car but I couldn't live with either on a daily basis with motorway driving.

2 people have thanked this post
selectamatic Registered User

This will forever crop up from time to time on boards where some random base spec Toyota is compared with something many spec levels above and in some cases a few car classes above.

In this instance a probably well spec'd Mazda 6 is being compared to I'm assuming a base spec rental corolla, it's laughable that this can be seen by some as a logical discussion.

I got in a heated debate before on here as to why a 2.0d4d avensis was not built to be in direct competition with a 320d and some just couldn't understand that concept (or were unwilling to).

Most Toyota's are in direct competition with the korean brands and the equivalent base spec German marques and they perform admirably at this level and resale values attest to this.

Cars from the upper echelons of the €40-50k bracket are a very different proposition to ones which are priced around the €30k mark or indeed a great deal lower.

@Op what was the gearbox fault, Bearings? Flywheel? Clutch?

1 person has thanked this post

road_high said:
Ha ha like for like basis current Mazda range are leagues ahead of these, I buy new so it's the here and now I'm interested in, and going by the current build quality I wouldn't be so sure. The old corollas were decent, these are 2nd rate crap. And they feel and drive the same. It was one of the worst cars I'd driven in a long time, the engine is gutless.
I actually quite like the styling and with a decent engine, interior improvements (the "entertainment" system was like a step back in time!) it mightn't be a bad car but I couldn't live with either on a daily basis with motorway driving.

They aren't actually. If you are comparing like for like you will be comparing this car to a mazda 3 which has a diesel engine with questionable reliablility. Mazda have also been very prone to rust due to the use of sh1te quality metal.

Ferrari3600 Registered User

Diesels...hmmm.

jacksie66 Registered User

I love my Vectra..

1 person has thanked this post
bazz26 Registered User

I like cake.

5 people have thanked this post
askU Registered User

Excorrolla said:
Hey folks just to warn people about 2011 Toyota Corolla diesel d4d. They have a problem once you go above 130000k where some gears can no longer be engaged. To fix the issue the gearbox needs to be removed which is going to cost you north of 1000 euros..Toyota customer support will not admit a fault and you are left to carry the cost. They will use excuse car is out of warranty ..note newer models may be affected also as Toyota seem to be in denial problem exists...be warned...ask around some independent garages and you will find this is becoming a known problem.. any prospective buyer of Corolla take note and stay away

Please state engine size that the issue

bazz26 Registered User

They only sell one size diesel engine in the Corolla ~ 1.4

166man Registered User

JohnBoy26 said:

Have you any proof that they're the most reliable Diesel of the lot or is that just the usual "country spec" rubbish that you spout every time someone mentions Toyotas and their unreliability?

Toyota once made excellent cars, now their cars are so low rent the quality is long gone.Arent they now using the BMW timing chain engine in their diesels?

Get real here, the competition has caught up with Toyota and many have surpassed them. You can do far better for your money now than a Corolla or Avensis.

2 people have thanked this post
Excorrolla Registered User

selectamatic said:
This will forever crop up from time to time on boards where some random base spec Toyota is compared with something many spec levels above and in some cases a few car classes above.

In this instance a probably well spec'd Mazda 6 is being compared to I'm assuming a base spec rental corolla, it's laughable that this can be seen by some as a logical discussion.

I got in a heated debate before on here as to why a 2.0d4d avensis was not built to be in direct competition with a 320d and some just couldn't understand that concept (or were unwilling to).

Most Toyota's are in direct competition with the korean brands and the equivalent base spec German marques and they perform admirably at this level and resale values attest to this.

Cars from the upper echelons of the €40-50k bracket are a very different proposition to ones which are priced around the €30k mark or indeed a great deal lower.

@Op what was the gearbox fault, Bearings? Flywheel? Clutch?

Not sure what exact part but when you select gear it does not slot into place..talking with one of the independent mechanics he informed me the component is a weak metal so it is just a matter of the mileage before it breaks...seemingly Toyota outsourced the manufacture of the particular part to a polish factory...the problem is only starting to show now as cars reaching the mileage...Toyota deny existence of problem and will not do a recall as not a safety issue

colm_mcm Registered User

166man said:
Have you any proof that they're the most reliable Diesel of the lot or is that just the usual "country spec" rubbish that you spout every time someone mentions Toyotas and their unreliability?

Toyota once made excellent cars, now their cars are so low rent the quality is long gone.Arent they now using the BMW timing chain engine in their diesels?

Get real here, the competition has caught up with Toyota and many have surpassed them. You can do far better for your money now than a Corolla or Avensis.

Toyotas 'quality' was never in nice interior plastics (which as we all know is the measure of a good car nowadays!) The 1.4 D-4D is out 15 years now and it is a very reliable and refined (even nowadays) engine.
I sold a heap of them back in the day new and used and they weren't giving trouble.

They are using BMW engines alright in some models but still do the 1.4 as well. The criticism you could make of it is that at89bhp it can't really compete with rival 1.6 engines.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!