rob316 Registered User

So I finally need to buy a new car (used), our trusty 2008 Kia Picanto is just too small for our needs.

Budget - €10k - €12k. I will more than likely be going to the UK to buy.

I had my heart set on a Passat CC but for the mileage we do I just couldn't justify a large diesel, it would be totally uneconomical and ruin the car.
Only really doing 10k per year and its all city driving.

I would probably like a Saloon but I'm open to any suggestion.

Family going to be getting bigger so need to upgrade (just me the wife and 7 year old lad at the moment)

When I took the big diesels out of the equation, I cant think of anything really so needs to get the ideas going.

thanks

blindside88 Registered User

You could look at a petrol Skoda Octavia or Superb. Both comfortable and spacious with a huge boot for the family

rob316 Registered User

blindside88 said:
You could look at a petrol Skoda Octavia or Superb. Both comfortable and spacious with a huge boot for the family

Are they heavy on juice like and big tax? The picanto is only a 1 litre.

colm_mcm Registered User

Aren't you doing tiny mileage? Who cares about mpg in that case?

Tax wouldn't be bad on a petrol. Tax Prob around €300

rob316 Registered User

Like will I ruin a diesel on that mileage?

Special Circumstances Registered User

rob316 said:
Like will I ruin a diesel on that mileage?

Get the DPF and the EGR professionally deleted and you'll be laughing.

I don't believe that there is ANY offence that you can be charged with as a result.

It will pass NCT.
It will use less fuel.
It will emit less CO2.
The Green Party will worship you as a Golden GOD.

What's not to like?

1 person has thanked this post
James Bond Junior Registered User

A petrol Passat cc?

Special Circumstances Registered User

James Bond Junior said:
A petrol Passat cc?

2 people have thanked this post
bazz26 Registered User

OP for someone who only does 10k miles per year you are very focused on mpg. It sounds to me like you want a bigger car but don't really want it to be less frugal than your 1.0 litre Picanto. I don't think any car the size of a Passat CC will return similar fuel consumption to your Picanto especially is mostly driven around town.

What you should be looking at is a hybrid, something like a Toyota Prius, Toyota Auris or Lexus CT200h. All pretty much the same running gear but these are designed with this type of driving in mind, they will return good fuel economy even with city driving but won't suffer from any potential diesel problems.

2 people have thanked this post
Bigus Registered User

Prius ?

I wouldn't be worrying about mpg at that mileage (within reason). If mpg is an issue for you a hybrid or electric might suit you.

rob316 Registered User

Ya MPG isn't my biggest worry the tax on a 2l diesel vs a 2l petrol is my biggest concern.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14305838
Skoda Octavia 1.6 Combi Tour

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14063820
Toyota Corolla 1.4 Terra CBU - 2008 FINANCE Avail

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14248033
Toyota Prius 1.8 Hybrid Auto 170 Road Tax

Some of these may be of interest to you

Cee-Jay-Cee Registered User

rob316 said:
Are they heavy on juice like and big tax? The picanto is only a 1 litre.

This is what is wrong with the irish motoring public, before anyone asks about reliability, comfort, power etc etc they want to know what the tax is. If its more than €400 they run away and look elsewhere despite the fact that they will have reduced initial cost price, reduced servicing costs and no possibility that the car will develop DPF, EGR or DMF problems. Makes total sense, not.

3 people have thanked this post
Idbatterim Registered User

the engines from 2008 on are taxed on Co2, the tax will be f**k all on most diesels or petrols, most wont be higher than E390 a year, i.e. nothing...

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!