Doge Registered User

EDIT: Resolved this issue, see my next post.

wobzilla1 said:
Alright, the java jar file is here

The source files are here if anyone wants to dick round with them. It could probably be made a whole lot better, I only ever did java as a hobby and haven't used it in years.

There's a few prerequisites to using the java program besides the obvious having java installed.
1: You need to put the RealSID.py file in C:\sid\
2: You need to put a sid file that starts with silence into C:\sid\ and name it reset.sid

The reason for 2 is that when the python script is killed, the Arduino keeps sending the last instructions to the SID chip and so the SID keeps outputting the same note until you load a new tune.
I got around this by loading a file with silence (or a sid file that doesn't work) and then killing the script after 1 second. This should ensure when you press the stop button, the SID stops making sound.

I used the ghouls n ghosts sid file from the HVSC collection

Right guys, everything is soldered and SID voltages tested fine.
Python 2.7 is installed.

However I'm trouble trying to install py65.
When i run "python setup.py install" in the py65 directory in command prompt I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 16, in <module>
    from setuptools import setup, find_packages
ImportError: No module named setuptools

So I downloaded setuptools, and tried to install that it returned this error:
ImportError: No module named packaging.version

So i install packaging, then setuptools needs pyparsing. I install that.

Then when i try to install setuptools again i get this error:

File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\packaging\requirements.py", line 59, in <module>
    MARKER_EXPR = originalTextFor(MARKER_EXPR())("marker")
TypeError: __call__() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)

Absolutely lost now as it doesnt ask for another module to install!

Anyone manage to install it okay?

Doge Registered User

Fixed the issue above by installing the x86 version of python 2.7 instead of the 64-bit version,
and then downloading the setuptools installer specifcally for version 2.7.

It appears setuptools is not backwards compatible so you need to download the correct version for your version of pyhton.

Anyway managed to get it to play but with a very loud noise as you can hear in the first part of the video.

The noise seemed to have settled down afterwards and went more high pitched.

One possible issue is that the middle 2 pins on one side of U3 the DC to DC converter chip were connected.

Not sure if this is meant to be or if theres a short underneath somewhere.

If anyone wants to check those for continuity I'd be delighted!

Doge Registered User

Just got the fright of my life after playing back your video wobzilla and this one came on next!

What sort of creature is that little dude?

Thought it was something out of Aliens when I saw it first!

wobzilla1 Registered User

I'll check the boost converter on mine when I get home today.
I only had to install py65 and pyserial myself and they both worked off the bat. I've a 64 bit version of Windows and I just used the default installer.

That lad's an axolotl, I forgot how much of a fat shît he was when I had him in the small tank.
They're a type of amphibian that doesn't develop lungs and stays aquatic as adults.
Apparently they're just about extinct in the wild now but loads of the albino ones in captivity.
They're pretty cool, they can regrow limbs and even parts of their head apparently

1 person has thanked this post
wobzilla1 Registered User

Pins 6 and 7 show continuity, there's actually a resistor between them but it's only 1 ohm.

Not sure what could be causing the noise, mine just hisses softly when it's not playing something.
Do you have another sid to try?

Where did you get your front panel made for the MB-6582 btw?

Doge Registered User

wobzilla1 said:
Pins 6 and 7 show continuity, there's actually a resistor between them but it's only 1 ohm.

Not sure what could be causing the noise, mine just hisses softly when it's not playing something.
Do you have another sid to try?

Where did you get your front panel made for the MB-6582 btw?

Thanks a lot for testing that for me dude!

Sonething weird happened with your post today, couldnt view it for ages, and im only seeing it now. My usercp kept highlighting the thread for new posts also! Odd.

Not so sure what I did wrong, I did use a different value cap as mentioned in the readme. Might exchange that for the value you sent me. Not too concerned anyway since it works and it shows i can solder smd.

I used Schaeffer for the front panel.

https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/

The front panel they sent me didnt have the paint infilled properly, it was a but blotchy in places. Nothing major but a minor inconvenience.

So after showing them photoe they decided to send another one out for free by express ups, which I gave to a member on the forum.

So they're very professional and I'd highly recommend them.

KeRbDoG Registered User

Just got around to building this now - right at the end to discover I've the wrong footprint 330uH inductor one ordered up.
I've learned that I'm not amazing at SMD soldering, I've checked connectivity of all pins/legs but it just doesn't look pretty.

Doge said:
One possible issue is that the middle 2 pins on one side of U3 the DC to DC converter chip were connected. Not sure if this is meant to be or if theres a short underneath somewhere. If anyone wants to check those for continuity I'd be delighted!

I believe pins 2 & 4 are connected on the PCB underneath the IC, and pins 6 & 7 from the 1ohm resistor as mentioned.
Pic of the board here from the github site.

KeRbDoG Registered User

OK, inductor installed so I (without the SID installed) started to buzz out some of the input pins and somehow I have the 5V line of the Uno connecting to GND on the SID shield - no idea how/where

Any suggestions Doge/wobzilla1?

KeRbDoG Registered User

KeRbDoG said:
OK, inductor installed so I (without the SID installed) started to buzz out some of the input pins and somehow I have the 5V line of the Uno connecting to GND on the SID shield - no idea how/where

Any suggestions Doge/wobzilla1?

Was this the correct inductor to use?

Doge Registered User

KeRbDoG said:
Was this the correct inductor to use?

It matches the spec and brand of the one I bought,
330uH, 0.6A.

Im not sure whats causing the connection between 5V and GND.
Have you all components soldered?

Is there any tests you would like us to do?

I just measured the voltages to the SIDs IC socket using the pinout on Wikipedia.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!