PTH2009 Registered User

If anyone saw u2s Christmas message they mentioned that 2017 will be a huge year for the band. Songs of Experience will be released and there will be 'special' shows to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Joshua Tree album

I wonder what and where these JT shows will be played ??. Have a feeling they take place in big cities such as London, Paris, New York, LA, Sydney etc. Obv Dublin could get a show but they might shock people and play a show/shows in the Olympia ( tickets will sell in a flash), maybe those 2 Croke Park shows next summer are saved for u2 ???

lukin Registered User

Ha, you beat me to it, was gonna post bout this
If Croker's three concert limit is enforced then two nights is the max they can play because as you say Coldplay have one night taken. Two will not be enough to satisfy demand in my opinion. I think the last two tours that they played in Croker they played three nights. Would it be better to play The Aviva instead?
I have never been to a gig in Croke park but I have been told the sound is crap.

rubadub Registered User

lukin said:
Ha, you beat me to it, was gonna post bout this
If Croker's three concert limit is enforced.

In 2014 permission was given for 7 days of non sporting events to happen in croke park, and up to 9 actual events as brooks was permitted 2 gigs on 2 days.

1 person has thanked this post
Arthur Daley Registered User

Croke park is kinda crap. 2 week residency in the 3arena ftw

4 people have thanked this post
The Raptor Registered User

rubadub said:
In 2014 permission was given for 7 days of non sporting events to happen in croke park, and up to 9 actual events as brooks was permitted 2 gigs on 2 days.

I don't think he had the license for those two gigs in the one day. It was discussed as an option and based on a new and updated event plan, the council would consider it. So there never was a license was for those two gigs in the one day.

I don't think something on that scale will happen again. I think if they go over the three they have to follow the new concert licensing laws.

I think the council has to have their decision made a month before the event happens. As far as I know the promotors also have to have consultantion meetings if they plan on adding more dates.

Somehow, I'm getting the feeling that there won't be enough time between extra meetings and having their application into the council in time for a summer gig.

You're looking at two more dates for 2017. There won't be anymore.

whiteshorts Registered User

I have never been to a gig in Croke park but I have been told the sound is crap.

Depends on where you are in the ground.

You're looking at two more dates for 2017. There won't be anymore.

Would Marley or Slane ever get a shout?
Big capacity and at least there's a "fair" chance of everybody getting a ticket.

SteM Registered User

whiteshorts said:

Would Marley or Slane ever get a shout?
Big capacity and at least there's a "fair" chance of everybody getting a ticket.

Sure Marley only holds 32k or so iirc.

PTH2009 Registered User

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joshua_Tree_Tour

They played 2 dates in Croke Park and 1 date in PUC Cork on the original JT tour. They may play those venues again on the new tour and be the first act too play the new PUC ???

marvin80 Registered User

PTH2009 said:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joshua_Tree_Tour

They played 2 dates in Croke Park and 1 date in PUC Cork on the original JT tour. They may play those venues again on the new tour and be the first act too play the new PUC ???

A PUC show would be a massive coup for Cork - be great to see it happen.

PTH2009 Registered User

marvin80 said:
A PUC show would be a massive coup for Cork - be great to see it happen.

It would rule and really showcase the new stadium. It would sell out no doubt

Hopefully the tour will be announced very soon

Broken Hearted Road Registered User

If U2 are to play croke park in summer of 2017, it will be announced by now. No doubt about that. I don't see tickets going on sale in January for gigs to take place for around July. That's a 6 month time frame. The timeframe is usually longer 7/8/9 months+ between ticket sales and gigs taking place.

I reckon if there's any more gigs for Croke park planned for the summer, it will be Garth Brooks taking the other 2 slots. GB over in America likes a short time frame between ticket sales and gigs taking place and I think the time frame is usually 6 weeks. Over here, he doesn't have that much control over that time frame. He does still like the short time frame andthe shortest he will get here will be 6 months. I reckon if there's any news in the next few more weeks about a croke park gig or two, it will be Garth Brooks. Very very doubtful it will be U2.

PTH2009 Registered User

Broken Hearted Road said:
If U2 are to play croke park in summer of 2017, it will be announced by now. No doubt about that. I don't see tickets going on sale in January for gigs to take place for around July. That's a 6 month time frame. The timeframe is usually longer 7/8/9 months+ between ticket sales and gigs taking place.

I reckon if there's any more gigs for Croke park planned for the summer, it will be Garth Brooks taking the other 2 slots. GB over in America likes a short time frame between ticket sales and gigs taking place and I think the time frame is usually 6 weeks. Over here, he doesn't have that much control over that time frame. He does still like the short time frame andthe shortest he will get here will be 6 months. I reckon if there's any news in the next few more weeks about a croke park gig or two, it will be Garth Brooks. Very very doubtful it will be U2.

On the I&E tour they announced the Irish gigs in September 2015 and they took place November 2015 (about 5 weeks after the ticket sale), Other dates on the tour were announced earlier

The Raptor Registered User

PTH2009 said:
On the I&E tour they announced the Irish gigs in September 2015 and they took place November 2015 (about 5 weeks after the ticket sale), Other dates on the tour were announced earlier

It could very well be U2. Or Garth Brooks. But it won't be any more than two nights.

lukin Registered User

Broken Hearted Road said:

That is not correct. The Croke park gigs in July 2009 were announced in March of that year. The June 2005 gigs in Croker were announced in January of that year. So still plenty time.

Birneybau Registered User

Why on Earth you didn't say 'Joshua Tree' in the thread title baffles me...

7 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!