mikhail Registered User

sodacat11 said:
Gonzaga has over twice as many entrants and is far stronger than the 2016 City of Dublin despite the C.O.D having more prize money.

I think your point about parking is valid, but this is hardly a typical Gonzaga tournament. A lot of kudos is due to the team of kids organising it and the support they have clearly had from Gonzaga's senior players.

cdeb Moderator

Have to say, the venue for the live boards is particularly impressive. Best chess venue I've seen in the country; really professional looking. I think only the Bunratty library comes close.

Tim Harding Registered User

Not everyone drives.
From where I live in SW Dublin, the Ailsa Club near the airport is very awkward to get to by public transport and even Gonzaga is not straightforward as it involves a bus, long walk, LUAS and then another short walk. Also UCD is not well served by buses at the weekend.

eclipsechaser Registered User

Top 4 Masters games here: http://www.icu.ie/live/gonzaga/tfd.htm

sodacat11 Registered User

Tim Harding said:
Not everyone drives.
From where I live in SW Dublin, the Ailsa Club near the airport is very awkward to get to by public transport and even Gonzaga is not straightforward as it involves a bus, long walk, LUAS and then another short walk. Also UCD is not well served by buses at the weekend.

You played in Marienbad and many other international tournaments so getting to Gonzaga shouldn't be beyond you. Nowhere is going to suit everyone 100% but as all the best supported tournaments are outside Dublin city centre that would appear to be what the majority want. As it is some people are organising tournaments to suit themselves instead of the players.
Gonzaga is a wonderful venue. The library is well lit, quiet and very comfortable and the theatre is as good as the London Classic , Dortmund or the Tata Steel, possibly even better.
Gonzaga is a really friendly and brilliantly run tournament, very enjoyable. Congrats to all concerned, I can't praise you highly enough ( and I'm not just saying this because I was bribed )

2 people have thanked this post
Tim Harding Registered User

Having visited yesterday (thanks to lifts from my wife) I must say I was very impressed both by the new physical improvements in Gonzaga but also the running of the tournament which does seem to have been superb. So I might consider playing next time; transport apart, I had already booked a trip away for the Sunday so could not enter.

On sodacat's first point, travelling TO a tournament away from home but then enjoying just a short walk to/from games is greatly preferable to dragging oneself home on 2+ buses after an evening loss, and then having to do the reverse journey next morning on insufficient sleep.

1 person has thanked this post

Hi everyone!

Just a reminder that the closing date for early discount is tomorrow (Saturday) night. We have a great entry again this year. 4GM's, 3IM's, 3FM's and 2WFM's.

As always, we're trying to improve the tournament. This year we are very hopeful that we will have a catering company offering hot breakfasts and lunches in our canteen on Saturday and Sunday. I know the journey into Ranelagh isn't always convenient and can be rushed if your game went on too long. I've also heard something about fries curing hangovers on Sunday mornings... Hopefully people will eat with us to encourage the company back in future years.

We do have one slight negative for Friday night. Unfortunately the college suffered a significant tragedy early last week in the death of 2 teachers. School was naturally disrupted for a week with removals and funerals. One consequence of this is that the school musical was pushed back a week and it now overlaps with our Friday night. Therefore the Masters will not be able to use the library and theatre for the 1st Round only. We will make sure that normal service resumes on Saturday and Sunday and that the musical doesn't impact on the Friday night other than the brief venue-change. We really loved housing the Masters in the library and theatre and we want that to be a tradition that continues.

Oh, and by special request, we have managed to stop that ticking pendulum in the library! No excuses now

mikhail Registered User

eclipsechaser said:
Oh, and by special request, we have managed to stop that ticking pendulum in the library! No excuses now

Young folks who've never played in a hall full of analogue clocks, I presume! I can't say I'd noticed.

The hot food sounds like a great addition.

sodacat11 Registered User

Great line up yet again for Gonzaga, it really has become one of our very best tournaments!!

Draws are up here: https://www.icu.ie/articles/746

mikhail Registered User

I just wanted to say well done to the organizers again this year. Record numbers, hot food, and the usual high standards were all in evidence.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!