sodacat11 Registered User

There is an amazing line up for the forthcoming Gonzaga Masters, always a very enjoyable tournament. One thing I don't understand though is whether entrant Stanley Yin with a rating of 2239 is the same Stanley Yin who recently won the Kilkenny Challengers (under 2000) tournament. Surely his rating couldn't have gone up that much for winning in Kilkenny? If it is the same guy, how was he eligible to play in Kilkenny?

Bombadil10 Registered User

Could be his FIDE rating that is being displayed? Kilkenny was not FIDE rated, I believe the top section of Gonzaga is.

cdeb Moderator

His ICU rating is based off two games, both wins in he Armstrong. One defeat could easily cost him 200 points, so he entered Kilkenny based on his FIDE rating, which is presumably more realistic as it incorporates more games.

Edit - in fact, he lost 74 points in winning Kilkenny on 5/6, which shows that his ICU rating isn't really to be trusted quite yet

cdeb said:
His ICU rating is based off two games, both wins in he Armstrong. One defeat could easily cost him 200 points, so he entered Kilkenny based on his FIDE rating, which is presumably more realistic as it incorporates more games.

Edit - in fact, he lost 74 points in winning Kilkenny on 5/6, which shows that his ICU rating isn't really to be trusted quite yet

His FIDE rating is 1973. Would that not be given as an ICU rating if he didn't have one?
You say that he lost 74 points in kilkenny, was that from a 2313 rating or from his 2239?
There is a huge difference between 1973 and 2239, if he is around 2000 standard but playing with a 2239 rating then anyone who beats him is going to get a hat full of undeserved rating points.

cdeb Moderator

sodacat11 said:
His FIDE rating is 1973. Would that not be given as an ICU rating if he didn't have one?

He had an ICU rating - it was 2273. But it was based on two games, so it wasn't really reliable.

sodacat11 said:
You say that he lost 74 points in kilkenny, was that from a 2313 rating or from his 2239?

From 2239; he's down to 2165 now.

sodacat11 said:
There is a huge difference between 1973 and 2239, if he is around 2000 standard but playing with a 2239 rating then anyone who beats him is going to get a hat full of undeserved rating points.

Yes, but that's just the way the ratings system works with new players. It all comes out in the wash in the end.

Retd.LoyolaCpt Registered User

sodacat11 said:
There is an amazing line up for the forthcoming Gonzaga Masters, always a very enjoyable tournament.

Great recruitment work by the 4th years. Alexander the latest entrant which brings it to 4 GMs.. for now.

mikhail Registered User

It's nice to see the tournament doing so well. I remember the top section there struggling badly for numbers - I just looked up some old crosstables, and 2005 and 2006 had 6 players each in the top section.

It is one of my favourite tournaments and the only one that offers me an appearance fee. I wonder if the titled players are getting one too? The students do a great job organizing it and the five round FIDE rated format is one that I wish was used more in Irish tournaments.

checknraise Registered User

5 GM's and 2 IM's are currently signed up to play. It will surely be the strongest fide weekender in Ireland.
I can't say with any certainty but I know the organisers were able to get sponsorship this year. Hopefully all the top local players play as its a rare chance to play GM's in fide rated games. 
Not sure if there is a cap on the number of participants but the tournament is only 5 rounds and there is quite a bit of interest from foreign players. My advice for anyone looking to play would be to register early.

It is great to have a Dublin tournament like Gonzaga with ample free car parking!! Such a rarity these days.

checknraise Registered User

A little over a couple of weeks until Gonzaga starts, anyone thinking of playing in the masters needs to get their skates on as there are already 35 people registered for a 5 round tournament.

David Eggleston is latest IM to register but still no sign of Ireland/Dublins top players which is disappointing.

mikhail Registered User

The entry's been dissappointing, given the sterling work that's been done to get a collection of titled players that you don't see in this country outside of Bunratty and Kilkenny. Talk of Ireland's top players not playing in tournaments because they can't get a decent game is seriously undercut when they don't show for something like this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Stanley Yin, who is German-based, in that middle clump. So that's a total of 1 Irish player rated over 2000 who doesn't play for Gonzaga?

checknraise said:
A little over a couple of weeks until Gonzaga starts, anyone thinking of playing in the masters needs to get their skates on as there are already 35 people registered for a 5 round tournament.

David Eggleston is latest IM to register but still no sign of Ireland/Dublins top players which is disappointing.

Still a fantastic entry!! I don't think that anyone who isn't playing will be missed.

eclipsechaser Registered User

The Masters draw will be going up this week. Once drawn, entries will be closed. I suggest anyone considering entering that section to do so by Tuesday midnight to avoid disappointment.

The draws for the other sections will also be going up before Friday evening. Late-entries will be drawn against each other to avoid delays to everyone else.

Gonzaga has over twice as many entrants and is far stronger than the 2016 City of Dublin despite the C.O.D having more prize money. The Leinster Championship, once also held in Dublin City centre, had such poor entries that it got swallowed up by the Malahide Congress.The Irish championship has become a shadow of its former self. The Dublin Classic and the Dublin Easter tournaments no longer exist.
Is it just possible that most Irish chess players do NOT want Dublin city centre venues? Why do we keep getting them until the tournaments become extinct? Why such big prizes for the C.O.D? Who does it suit to organise tournaments in the centre of Dublin? When will the LCU learn that the customer is always right?
Gonzaga and Malahide should be the models for Dublin tournaments . Easy access and free parking make a huge difference to prospective entrants and the people who drive them to and from venues.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!