zweton Registered User

folks, thinking of biting the bullet soon. Should i go for the mark 1 or mark 2s ?
Is there alot of added functionality with the new ones?

Seve OB Registered User

Bob24 said:
Can they not be powered on while used with a wire? It should achieve similar sound quality than when used wirelessly.

it appears not. i just tried again and you can power the headphones on, but the sound is the same as if they are powered off. however, not as bad as I first proclaimed

OK so I may have been a bit hasty earlier. I just realised the cable into the headphones needs a bit more a shove in than i gave it. I had it home, just not quite all the way. Do it with the headphones not on your head and they take a good shove in.

Sound is actually fairly similar with or without the lead in

setanta1984 Registered User

You can use the headphones powered on or powered off while wired, just doing it right now.
Powered on does sound better and you get the full noise cancellation, when powered off just the isolation which will give a different sound signature.

I think I may have figured out my google assistant issues from a a few posts ago - think my smartwatch was interfering with it somehow - when trying to re-pair after further messing the headphones would not connect via the bose app until I disconnected my watch. Assistant button seems to be working now - bit annoying.

Seve OB Registered User

setanta1984 said:
You can use the headphones powered on or powered off while wired, just doing it right now.
Powered on does sound better and you get the full noise cancellation, when powered off just the isolation which will give a different sound signature.

I think I may have figured out my google assistant issues from a a few posts ago - think my smartwatch was interfering with it somehow - when trying to re-pair after further messing the headphones would not connect via the bose app until I disconnected my watch. Assistant button seems to be working now - bit annoying.

are you sure when they are powered on that they are not just working via bluetooth. try it with bluetooth turned off on your device and see how you find it. i really can't tell much difference between them powered off or on

setanta1984 Registered User

Seve OB said:
are you sure when they are powered on that they are not just working via bluetooth. try it with bluetooth turned off on your device and see how you find it. i really can't tell much difference between them powered off or on

Yep have all devices turned off, definitely wired. I agree that there isn't much difference in the actual sound when powered or not, just that the NC has a distinct sound signature when compared to just using isolation. I'd happily use them in both ways.

Cheeky monkey Registered User

zweton said:
folks, thinking of biting the bullet soon. Should i go for the mark 1 or mark 2s ?
Is there alot of added functionality with the new ones?

You basically pay more for a dedicated google assistant button. Its not worth any extra cost to be honest unless you use google assistant a lot day to day. I personally only really use it to tell me the time.

zweton Registered User

In that case i will stick with the originals.

Phibsboro Registered User

Series II down to 304 on Amazon Spain, 319 including redone VAT and express shipping (only a euro more than normal shipping). Finally pulled the trigger after following this thread for over a year, should have them by Weds, can't wait now

2 people have thanked this post
JungleMartin Registered User

While placing another order on amazon.es I have just seen that the original QC35 is €279 there (both black and silver). The black series II is currently €379 but the silver series II is still €305 as user Phibsboro reported in the last post.

Damo 2k9 Registered User

Phibsboro said:
Just an FYI, I was out in the Bose shop in Dundrum this evening and they offered me 10% off the 35 II's, so 379 - 37.9 = 341. Not a bad deal for a bricks and mortar. I mentioned the Limerick price to him and he reckoned it was an error price, said Bose had been in touch with them to ask them to check the pricing and he wasn't sure they would honour any online purchases. Sure enough they are up to 341 now ( https://www.savins.ie/home-entertainment-ireland/headphones-portable-audio-ireland/headphones-ireland/noise-cancelling-headphones-ireland/bose-quietcomfort-35-ii/6292?search_query=bose&results=61 ), which is possibly what he was price matching when he was offering me 10% off (though he didn't explicitly say that).

Ive been looking at this thread for nearly a year now, absolutely dying for a pair and finally got a decent job to afford them.

Did you have to say anything in particular to get this discount off them?? Wouldnt mind heading out tonight to pick them up, and try them first of course.

Phibsboro Registered User

Damo 2k9 said:
Ive been looking at this thread for nearly a year now, absolutely dying for a pair and finally got a decent job to afford them.

Did you have to say anything in particular to get this discount off them?? Wouldnt mind heading out tonight to pick them up, and try them first of course.

I actually just asked had he any series I still in stock, he said he didn't but he could do me the series II with 10% off. I'd say just reference the 341 from slavins and he'll price match it straight away.

Damo 2k9 Registered User

Phibsboro said:
I actually just asked had he any series I still in stock, he said he didn't but he could do me the series II with 10% off. I'd say just reference the 341 from slavins and he'll price match it straight away.

Grand thanks!! Hopefully go out later and try them

1 person has thanked this post
KOR101 Registered User

Curious about how the NC technology works.

Was on a flight over Christmas and was surprised how much engine noise was not cancelled. The remaining noise sounded fairly consistent.

It was the same on the train this morning.

The overall noise level was definitely much subdued. I was just surprised that so much was left.

Seve OB Registered User

KOR101 said:

Was on a flight over Christmas and was surprised how much engine noise was not cancelled. The remaining noise sounded fairly consistent.

The overall noise level was definitely much subdued. I was just surprised that so much was left.

I've not been on a plane or train yet with them but I have noticed that I can't hear a hoover Cleaner was in the office last week and it was mad, I genuinely didn't realise she had switched it on. Also noticed you can't hear an extractor fan in the jacks

1 person has thanked this post
PaddyFagan Registered User

KOR101 said:

So I’m not a technical expert but have the qc35s and have used other nc headphones. My own view is a that’s what’s left is really two things
1) noise transmission through the plane, and your body (how your head is resting on the seat can really impact this in my experience)
2) certain frequencies which aren’t filtered out to allow you to still hear voices

My general reason for this is seeing how the nc varies as you move around the plane and how as the other poster notes the marked difference when you have no physical connection to the source of the noise eg the hoover.

Btw if you want to remind yourself how good the nc is, try taking them off a few hours into a long flight - it feels like being hit by a wall of noise!

Paddy

8 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!