Noddy Nangle Registered User

I am signing to electric Ireland to avail of the Google nest for €99. I currently have two zones in my house (upstairs and downstairs) but the lady in electric Ireland said that nest will only control the whole house along with hot water and it cannot split the zones ie. If I just want to turn on heat downstairs and not upstairs then I can't do it remotely. Does anyone know if this is correct ?

bk Moderator

She is wrong, Nest does support multiple zones. However you will need to buy two Nest thermostats, one for each zone.

https://nest.com/ie/support/article/Does-Nest-work-with-zoned-systems

So I suppose she means Electric Ireland will only supply one Thermostat, you will need to buy and install a second one for yourself.

whiterebel Registered User

Apparently they will supply a second one fitted for €279 if you ask them in advance. I got one for €249 and the installer fitted it for free, but I don't know if they would all be so accommodating. He also brought a stand with him which normally sells for €40, again I don't know if they all do it.

1 person has thanked this post
hick Registered User

also have to take into consideration the higher unit cost on the package

DagdaIreland Registered User

You might be better (and it'd certainly be simpler) to avail of the Climote offer from Electric Ireland instead https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/products/smarter-living/climote

Doesn't having the learning capability of the Nest, but it is specifically set up to control two zones (plus hot water) if you're house is already zoned, and you still control from your mobile remotely..

whiskeyman Registered User

DagdaIreland said:
You might be better (and it'd certainly be simpler) to avail of the Climote offer from Electric Ireland instead https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/products/smarter-living/climote

Doesn't having the learning capability of the Nest, but it is specifically set up to control two zones (plus hot water) if you're house is already zoned, and you still control from your mobile remotely..

Just be careful of the annual service change for the Climote if you want to use it remotely.
https://www.climote.ie/customer-care/climote-for-consumers/frequently-asked-questions/
From T&Cs:
After the first years service package has expired, what are the terms of continuing remote heating access?
On purchasing the climote HUB, the customer will receive a one year service package which includes full remote access to the HUB by climote APP, climote ONLINE and climote SMS. After this initial first year the customer will receive a reminder that their service package is coming to an end and that a renewal is required to continue to have remote access to the product. The cost of the renewal will be approximately €36 ex VAT per year (subject to change).

ThisRegard Registered User

I asked before about any annual charge for the Climote a few weeks ago and someone mentioned there was none. What exactly is the service package?

bk Moderator

ThisRegard said:
I asked before about any annual charge for the Climote a few weeks ago and someone mentioned there was none. What exactly is the service package?

Climote definitely has an annual charge, €36 ex VAT. Which is why most of us disregard it. No charges for Nest, Netatmo or Hive

2 people have thanked this post
Graham Registered User

ThisRegard said:
What exactly is the service package?

If I remember correctly, the Climote requires a mobile phone SIM/subscription which is covered by the package.

They made some very peculiar decisions when putting the whole thing together in my opinion.

6 people have thanked this post
ThisRegard Registered User

Yeah, a subscription model for accessing your own thermostat outside of the home is ridiculous.

Graham Registered User

ThisRegard said:
Yeah, a subscription model for accessing your own thermostat outside of the home is ridiculous.

I think their design choices for the UI (the skeuomorphic pin style time clock) and the choice of GSM for connectivity are really strange. I wouldn't really consider Climote a home automation product, more of a remote thermostat.

They've definitely limited their potential market by those choices alone.

1 person has thanked this post
ted1 Registered User

Graham said:
I think their design choices for the UI (the skeuomorphic pin style time clock) and the choice of GSM for connectivity are really strange. I wouldn't really consider Climote a home automation product, more of a remote thermostat.

They've definitely limited their potential market by those choices alone.

I pointed it out to them at the time and they insisted it was the best model as it means that they aren't dependent on people's wifi and they would be swamped with calls every time someone's wifi went down.

Graham Registered User

ted1 said:
I pointed it out to them at the time and they insisted it was the best model as it means that they aren't dependent on people's wifi and they would be swamped with calls every time someone's wifi went down.

Same here, exchanged a couple of emails with them.

I really think they were skating to where the puck was at the time rather than where it was heading. As a result the product was/is almost out of date from launch. All made even more significant by Nest which was also starting to appear at the time.

2 people have thanked this post
the heathen Registered User

Can anyone tell me, I have three zones in my home (inc water) so as I understand it the Nest will control Zone 1 plus water.

If I choose to just go for one Nest, thus controling downstairs and water, will I still have manual control over upstairs heat? Do they replace the existing control unit on my wall or is it left there to allow me control the third zone.

hope that makes sense?

bk Moderator

the heathen, you have two choices:

1) Buy a second Nest Thermostat to also control the second zone

2) Or you can leave your existing thermostat in place, but then you won't have the fancy remote control features of that zone, just the usual manual control.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!