• I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland. (20.59%)
  • I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government. (79.41%)
KrustyUCC Registered User
#3,391

FactCheck: Is minimum unit alcohol pricing "proven" to work?
Health Promotion Minister Marcella Corcoran Kennedy made a big claim about the effectiveness of the government’s alcohol policy, this week. We tested it.

In a debate on TV3′s Tonight With Vincent Browne on Monday, Junior Minister Marcella Corcoran Kennedy claimed that the policy has been “proven to work” in other jurisdictions, citing the example of British Columbia in Canada.

http://www.thejournal.ie/minimum-unit-pricing-alcohol-ireland-facts-2932210-Aug2016/

4 people have thanked this post
naughtb4 Registered User
#3,392

joe40 said:
I don't particularly care what fine gael put into manifesto to try to get votes. Like all political parties they will promise all things to all people.

The fact remains this measure was introduced in Scotland as a "public health initiative" not a sop to publicans, so there must have been some research into whether it would be effective or not. By effective I mean have some impact, not a cure for all ills.

So lets just assume that Scotland have done the research for us?

MUP benefits Publicans and Drinks Companies more than anyone else

Leroy42 Registered User
#3,393

joe40 said:

People also keep saying this will raise the price of all drinks, as if it is a foregone conclusion. I understand the reasoning, but don't believe that will happen. Retailers will still price their product to sell.

If the likes of Heineken, bud or craft beers currently selling above MUP could command a higher price, they would be doing so already.

I just don't accept the argument their price will automatically go up in line with price increases elsewhere.

I think the clue is in the title. It is MAP. The government is setting the lowest level at which a lager (for example) can be sold. Once a floor is set, lowest price is no longer a factor.

But there is no upper price. It is why the craft beers sell for far more the lies of Dutch Gold. Simply because the consumer is willing to pay more for that they perceive to be a better product.

Now, in the short term prices probably won't rise, but after a few months the new price will be factored in by the consumer and they will return to their old habits. So they will again be prepared to pay a premium for the Craft Beer. Thus the Craft beer would be made to maintain the old price as now the 'market' price as increased.

It might take longer that a few months, I don't know, but it will happen. Just as the price inevitably moves towards €1 instead of .79p after the changeover. It is simply repositition the value of value within the market.

1 person has thanked this post
joe40 Registered User
#3,394

KrustyUCC said:
FactCheck: Is minimum unit alcohol pricing "proven" to work?
Health Promotion Minister Marcella Corcoran Kennedy made a big claim about the effectiveness of the government’s alcohol policy, this week. We tested it.

In a debate on TV3′s Tonight With Vincent Browne on Monday, Junior Minister Marcella Corcoran Kennedy claimed that the policy has been “proven to work” in other jurisdictions, citing the example of British Columbia in Canada.

http://www.thejournal.ie/minimum-unit-pricing-alcohol-ireland-facts-2932210-Aug2016/

I just read that full article (granted it was a skim reading). It is very good and to be honest has put a bit of a dent in my argument, but since this is the internet I have to persevere.

Busy now I'll get back!!

3 people have thanked this post
Spanish Eyes Registered User
#3,395

Am I misssing something or what?

Surely if a premium product is in or around the same price as cheap stuff after MUP, then drinkers will buy the branded/premium stuff. Wouldn't they?

So why would so called branded/premium producers put their prices up, instead of welcoming in all those who drank cheaper stuff before MUP. Win win.

I hasten to add that I am not in favour of the Nanny State of which MUP is but one aspect at all, and it is creeping in to all aspects of our lives. But that's another topic, although associated with this one.

naughtb4 Registered User
#3,396

A bit I am missing on this, is the minimum pricing on what the drinks company can sell to the supermarkets at, or what the supermarkets can sell for?

#3,397

What the supermarkets/off licences can sell for

1 person has thanked this post
#3,398

Alcohol Bill passes through all stages of Oireachtas

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/alcohol-bill-passes-through-all-stages-of-oireachtas-874984.html

Once Michael D signs the bill I wonder when prices will go up?

VinLieger Registered User
#3,399

KrustyUCC said:
Alcohol Bill passes through all stages of Oireachtas

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/alcohol-bill-passes-through-all-stages-of-oireachtas-874984.html

Once Michael D signs the bill I wonder when prices will go up?

I think its still going to be held until NI brings in similar to avoid cross border shenanigans, also theres bound to be EU appeals as this can be argued to breach competition laws

3 people have thanked this post
Johnny Dogs Registered User
#3,400

The govt looks to be in pretty shaky grounds right now, what with Naughten and Fitzpatrick gone.

Imagine them knocking on doors for an election hot on the heels of this blatant sop.

2 people have thanked this post
DEFTLEFTHAND Registered User
#3,401

Johnny Dogs said:
The govt looks to be in pretty shaky grounds right now, what with Naughten and Fitzpatrick gone.

Imagine them knocking on doors for an election hot on the heels of this blatant sop.

This Bill alone could put them out.

You don't fck with an Irishman and his drink.

#3,402

Only issue is who do you vote for that hasn't had a part in passing this bill?

5 people have thanked this post
Checkmate19 Registered User
#3,403

Well for one you don't vote for fine gael as it was their idea. Brought in the back of a health bill but really to as they said in their manifesto support pubs.

5 people have thanked this post
Hotblack Desiato Registered User
#3,404

Spanish Eyes said:
So why would so called branded/premium producers put their prices up, instead of welcoming in all those who drank cheaper stuff before MUP.

Same reason Heneken Ireland wouldn't supply Wetherspoons with Heineken, but were happy to supply them with Amstel

They didn't want their "premium" brand being cheapened by being sold at a non-premium price. Simple as that. The big brewers have their low, mid and high priced brands and many of them have craft brands above that. If the price level of your lowest priced brand rises, you have to maintain the price differential to the next brand up, to persuade the drinker that if X is dearer than Y then X must be better. It's basic marketing.

7 people have thanked this post
Johnny Dogs Registered User
#3,405

Hotblack Desiato said:
Same reason Heneken Ireland wouldn't supply Wetherspoons with Heineken, but were happy to supply them with Amstel

They didn't want their "premium" brand being cheapened by being sold at a non-premium price. Simple as that. The big brewers have their low, mid and high priced brands and many of them have craft brands above that. If the price level of your lowest priced brand rises, you have to maintain the price differential to the next brand up, to persuade the drinker that if X is dearer than Y then X must be better. It's basic marketing.

In a nutshell.

The lads thinking they'll be unaffected by this sop because they sup malbec with their Foie gras are only codding themselves and no one else.

4 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!