stretch film Registered User
#781

Mooooo said:
This will test them, regular customers saying no. Could counter on them signing a contract that they can't use any animal from a decendant of your herd without a nice royalty ha. May ring em up just to get a look at it


It seems they have no interest in proving bulls for Irish market other than in nz. If they're Irish partners were testing exclusively those Lic sired bulls then I could see less issues with contract.

They market all bar one of the top 20 bulls on the ras list out there(fr).
The bull bucking the trend is' sired by a Lic bull.
No need for a contract it seems in a near monopoly environment.

1 person has thanked this post
blackdog1 Registered User
#782

stretch film
It seems they have no interest in proving bulls for Irish market other than in nz. If they're Irish partners were testing exclusively those Lic sired bulls then I could see less issues with contract.



Lic is losing its market share to icbf bred bulls off Lic sires. This is there attempt to stop this. It's a desperate attempt to keep there market share.

1 person has thanked this post
tanko Registered User
#783

blackdog1 said:
Lic is losing its market share to icbf bred bulls off Lic sires. This is there attempt to stop this. It's a desperate attempt to keep there market share.


Surely this type of contract wouldn't stand up in a court of law if challenged?

jaymla627 Registered User
#784

tanko said:
Surely this type of contract wouldn't stand up in a court of law if challenged?


Monsanto have been operating like this for the past 20 odd years, but then they had a unique product and farmers dived in, lic are pissing against the wind so to speak given their weak market share and the vast array of other ai companies out their

1 person has thanked this post
friesian13 Registered User
#785

any new ai bulls for this spring. looking for high ebi and solids. looking at fr2238, fr2380, fr2249, fr2351, fr2275. any recommendations.thanks

whelan2 Registered User
#786

friesian13 said:
any new ai bulls for this spring. looking for high ebi and solids. looking at fr2238, fr2380, fr2249, fr2351, fr2275. any recommendations.thanks

Used fr2249 and lck on the winter milkers.

freedominacup Registered User
#787

A lot of milk lost here this winter with poor quality silage. We hit the first cut ten days ago. Yields gone from 13l to 15l on a group of cows all within a month of drying off, protein was under pressure also but rising again now. Safe to say we were missing a similar amount per day since early Oct. We ended up with a bulky second cut because of drought stress. Saved a nice bit on contracting charges but every penny saved and more gone west with less milk of poorer quality. No saving at all in bulk. Won't be going on holidays in last week of June again either.

11 people have thanked this post
#788

https://twitter.com/Murphy1Diarmuid/status/819186169246285825

Interesting figure on the importance of spring grazing.

freedominacup Registered User
#789

Buford T. Justice V said:
https://twitter.com/Murphy1Diarmuid/status/819186169246285825

Interesting figure on the importance of spring grazing.


Not really sheriff. Completely meaningless figure really. When does spring start and finish for starters?

3 people have thanked this post
yewtree Registered User
#790

I don't think it's meaningless if you can get grass into cows in spring it reduces feed bill and for a lot of lads spring grass is far higher quality than the silage they have so they will get a lift in cow performance.
I always find the early grazed paddocks grow the most over the year, the grazing seems to stimulate grass growth

1 person has thanked this post
mahoney_j Registered User
#791

yewtree said:
I don't think it's meaningless if you can get grass into cows in spring it reduces feed bill and for a lot of lads spring grass is far higher quality than the silage they have so they will get a lift in cow performance.
I always find the early grazed paddocks grow the most over the year, the grazing seems to stimulate grass growth


I agree with free ,and I agree with u in a different way ,your correct in saying that your earlier grazed paddocks ,for the most part grow more grass .but really high quality silage 76/77 plus did will trump it .heard a statement once that first rotation is for the grass and second rotation is for cows

yewtree Registered User
#792

mahoney_j said:
I agree with free ,and I agree with u in a different way ,your correct in saying that your earlier grazed paddocks ,for the most part grow more grass .but really high quality silage 76/77 plus did will trump it .heard a statement once that first rotation is for the grass and second rotation is for cows


I would agree that's kind of really high quality silage is a match for it but most farms don't have enough of it, think the average silage on dairy farms is 68 DMD a long way behind spring grass.

mahoney_j Registered User
#793

yewtree said:
I would agree that's kind of really high quality silage is a match for it but most farms don't have enough of it, think the average silage on dairy farms is 68 DMD a long way behind spring grass.


Then the question I'd ask is why isn't there a bank of hi quality silage there??.every dairy farm should have a reserve .this crack of getting 10/12 bales per acre or seeing a harvester on its knees harvesting silage should be a thing of the past

2 people have thanked this post
#794

freedominacup said:
Not really sheriff. Completely meaningless figure really. When does spring start and finish for starters?


Spring starts when cows go out

All the research and farmers measuring grass will tell you that early grazing will stimulate the sward to grow grass. We all have some land that can be grazed earlier than other land and getting that grazed will grow more grass through the year.

Even if cows have to go back in and put more silage back into the diet for a while, the importance of the early grazing is huge. Some lads in my discussion group go into covers of 1100 to 1200 or lower to get that grass into gear for the year.

1 person has thanked this post
farisfat Registered User
#795

Spring gráss might not be top notch, but it's good for man and beast to get them out as sooon as possible.
Dose mé heart good to see them buck lep across the field.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!