Keepgrowing Registered User

Pretty cushey here at the moment. Most stock housed bar the weanlings so it's milking twice, scraping, feeding and cubicle beds to be done. All done by11 am most days. It struck me yesterday that if there was no milking that the day would be a long one. How do people with dry stock fill the day?

whelan2 Registered User

Keepgrowing said:
Pretty cushey here at the moment. Most stock housed bar the weanlings so it's milking twice, scraping, feeding and cubicle beds to be done. All done by11 am most days. It struck me yesterday that if there was no milking that the day would be a long one. How do people with dry stock fill the day?

Or tillage people at this time of year?

1 person has thanked this post
Count Mondego Registered User

They generally work fulltime or part-time outside of the farm during the day.

29 people have thanked this post
Grueller Registered User

Keepgrowing said:

As count Montego said, the vast majority of them are not in the yard from 8 until 5:30-6 around here. 2-3 hours work a day is plenty then.

davidk1394 Registered User

At this time of year: hedgecutting, fencing, weighing lambs for the butchers and factory. Feeding and bedding bulls and lambs. Then cutting up timber for the house and any minor repairs that have to be carried out on machines. There's always something to be done

13 people have thanked this post
duffysfarm Registered User

Watch couple of episodes of judge judy

27 people have thanked this post
Sam Kade Registered User

They spend the rest of the day worrying about how they will pay the bill for inputs at the end of the year

Timmaay Registered User

Keepgrowing said:

Get up later (the joys of no kids ha). Abit like yourself, the daily chores are less and less the more we block calf and get here setup, however the list of stuff to do just never every ends. I'm converting the old milking parlour here at the minute and doing a lot of the building work myself, plenty of odd jobs around the place to get sheds ready for the winter, loads of paperwork still to do, finish off grant applications, PM etc etc.

The main battle with me is prioritising what I can efficiently do myself, and what I'm better off calling quits on ha. I've a car here that the clutch is gone in and needs afew other small things , was worth 2k fixed up, or say 1000 sold as is at the time, I stupidly decided I'll get her fixed up myself ha, never got around to it, and it's still sitting here a yr later prb worth afew 100 max...

J.O. Farmer Registered User

Spend the rest of the day drinking tae, looking at the internet and telling anyone who will listen about how there's no money in farming.

22 people have thanked this post
emaherx Registered User

I like to just sit here and count all the money!

6 people have thanked this post
J.O. Farmer Registered User

emaherx said:
I like to just sit here and count all the money!

Shhhhhh don't say that too loudly. Did you not read the memo. We're supposed to say how poor we are. Even the dairy lads have to say how hard it is to pay the tax bill.

2 people have thanked this post
pedigree 6 Registered User

On the weekend's you can spot them at the machinery auctions.
Go to the portloaise machinery auction today and it will be full of drystock and tillage farmers looking for something to do and a common phrase on meeting each other is "Tis fierce cold out today, there''ll be snow by Christmas".

Bass Reeves Registered User

Work during the day, involved with local GAA club so always something to do.

OverRide Registered User

Lads,

Have ye not watched the nightly documentary on what most of us do? It's an exciting life

jimmy G M Registered User

Read the milk price thread / dairy chit chat on boards

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!