devnull Moderator

pkvader said:
Been a few years since i got the Aircoach,Is the express Dublin (to Cork) bus stop on Ashton Quay?,It was Westmoreland st before,just double checking to be sure.
Thanks

Aston Quay outside USIT - DB Bus Stop 325.

1 person has thanked this post
pkvader Registered User

devnull said:
Aston Quay outside USIT - DB Bus Stop 325.

Cheers

XPS_Zero Registered User

On the BE v Aircoach and privates thing;

You know, much as I'd put myself on the left, I get the sense that many of us millenial Corbyn support tending heads, having been born in the 1990s, have only seen the markets effect on public transport , and because we've lived through the era of bank deregulation and endless tax cuts wrecking the global economy were naturally , reflexively centre-left, this is a good thing in many areas because it keeps support for things like universal healthcare and labour rights up there, but I think having seen how bad right wing economics can get when it goes OTT (as we did in the 2008-2014 era) has made us forget, or in the case of the younger millennial, never remember at all, how bad left wing economics worked out.

I'd urge um to be less blind in supporting Corbynstyle policies and take each on it's merits.
I wonder how many of these kids who would have withdrawal symptoms if facebook wemt down, who can't cross the street without checking the feed on their phone, who complain their broadbands not fast enough, would react to it taking 6 months to get a landline (''whats a landline old man'' they may ask) from our public sector monopoly Telecom Eireann? or how they'd react to a twice as long journey with no wifi, no reclining or leather seats on a monopoly Bus Eireann route?

I know we've seen some of the worst excesses of the free market in our lifetimes, but don't think for a second there isn't an opposite extreme, don't think for one second Bus Eireann etc got their act together because they cared about customers, the entire Irish public sector not only has no customer service ethos they have an active anti-customer ethos they see us an an irritation to be managed - they improved their services because they had to, because competition was allowed, they improved them kicking and screaming the entire way, IE didn't even wanna do wifi ffsake, their literal excuse was "sure tech is always advancing we'd have to update the hardware every few years". Be under no illusions, a public-private mix might be a disaster in some areas (healthcare) but it works great in Transport. Competition is what made things better, I'm at just the right age to have experienced both and I'm telling you some of the public companies literally said services/ideas were stupid/lunacy/nonfeasible only to have a private service start that exact idea and make a fortune not long after.

2 people have thanked this post
belfast stephen Registered User

J.pilkington said:
devnull said:
For the record Aircoach is fully managed from Dublin using an Irish operators license and all tickets that are purchased online are purchased from the Irish Operating company, the Belfast operation does not take any fares. Without the Belfast operating company they could not hire any NI staff or base vehicles there, that's why it exists.

The Bus Eireann Belfast service is run in conjunction with Translink using NI registered coaches and NI drivers as well. There are many reasons for this and despite what you might believe they are not related to simply money, rather for operational reasons, it's no-coincidence that both operators on this route are using both an NI and an ROI company to operate it.

When you are operating long distance intercity routes it is prudent to have depot facilities at each end of a route and have some vehicles and staff based in each city for reasons of service recovery and adding extra capacity and to cover staff sickness and the ability to recover from breakdowns.

This happens with pretty much every single major intercity route in the state, the only reason people are not aware of it, is because of the fact people are none the wiser to this because in the absence of a different plate format they are unable to tell if this is the case or not.

If you base all staff in Dublin what happens if you have a staff member that is sick in Belfast or the bus breaks down? They have to wait for someone to take at least 2 hours to come from Dublin? It's handier to have staff and vehicles at both ends and results in a better service for customers.

With inside info and a sales pitch like that I can only assume you work for aircoach, if so you should be up front about these things when offering "advice" / encouraging boards users to use their service

Btw I don't buy the spin, Dublin to Belfast is not "long distance" and I rarely see any ROI registered coaches operating this service. Aircoach registered a heap of their ROI fleet to their NI operating licence to cover this route and hired Belfast based drivers which meant that Irish tax payers have lost out on social insurance / road tax etc. If what you say is true they would have a handful of NI coaches / drivers operating this route not almost 100%

Like any uk multinational company of course they utilise the services of their parent company, it's called synergies, otherwise it would be a very poorly run company, at the end of the day they are just another Tesco with Ireland being "treasure Ireland" and Ireland no different to their Birmingham operation

Anyway this is moving way off topic, I was only pointing out that during these tough times we should shop "local" where the cost and service of an Irish provider is similar to that of a foreign company

The belfast based coaches all have legal lettering for first Northern Ireland there is also an office/shop in Great northern mall in belfast city centre which sells tickets as do The drivers when the office is closed. First Northern Ireland have just taken delivery of 7 new coach for the 705x service between belfast and dublin and carry Northern Ireland Reg plates

dowlingm Registered User

I'm surprised that EU rules haven't changed things for cross border bus travel. You don't see the airlines having to incorporate in every country they have a base so why should bus companies be obliged to.

As for Aircoach, I hope they have online vehicle tracking now because after a bad experience with them some years back I would have difficulty trusting that vehicle was actually on its way.

Charles Babbage Registered User

J.pilkington said:

But just to defend an attack from you. I am most certainly not "anti Brit", I am pro irish which does not by default make me anti British.

You clearly are not pro Irish, as you seem to have a big thing about drivers based in Belfast. Pro 26 counties perhaps, but do not pretend to be something you are not.

As for Aircoach, I hope they have online vehicle tracking now because after a bad experience with them some years back I would have difficulty trusting that vehicle was actually on its way.

It is easier nowadays to know if a Dublin bus is coming than an aircoach.

devnull Moderator

dowlingm said:
I'm surprised that EU rules haven't changed things for cross border bus travel. You don't see the airlines having to incorporate in every country they have a base so why should bus companies be obliged to.

I believe that there are some fuel rebate initiatives possible out of Northern Ireland that are not possible out of the Republic and also it probably entitles them to make use of agreements that First have in the UK in relation to things like insurance that due to the size of First in the UK would be better value than what Aircoach could get in ROI.

Plus NI based staff would no doubt prefer to be paid in Sterling and that way neither employer or employee needs to pay foreign exchange costs and there are probably some issues that would need to be dealt with if NI based staff were operating on ROI based vehicles or NI based vehicles had ROI based plates.

They have a new system in the office apparently installed last year and there has been talk that it will be rolled out to be customer facing - however there does not seem to be any sign of it yet. Generally their routes are quite reliable, apart from the 702/703 which is often late due to traffic in peak/shoulder peak times.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!