The Cuban Registered User

Just got my Eurostar report for the beef data scheme. A load of my cows lost stars!!. Gone from 4 to 3 stars in several cases. One cow in particular I sold a Weanling heifer calf off her last year, 6 months old 260 kgs €1040 yet the cow drops a star!! like wtf
They could at least give a reason behind the ratings but it seems to be a wink and nod Science with ICBF

rangler1 Registered User

The Cuban said:
Just got my Eurostar report for the beef data scheme. A load of my cows lost stars!!. Gone from 4 to 3 stars in several cases. One cow in particular I sold a Weanling heifer calf off her last year, 6 months old 260 kgs €1040 yet the cow drops a star!! like wtf
They could at least give a reason behind the ratings but it seems to be a wink and nod Science with ICBF

A cows own performance makes very little difference to her star rating compared with all the information and figures that's coming back from all the animals that are related to her,
It's like aiming at a moving target now to get a 5 star.

charolais0153 Registered User

A four or five star cow is in the top 40℅ of cows in the country. How are we going to all have 50℅ 4 or 5 star in 2020

Peter90 Registered User

The original ratings where based on predictions reliability was low especially in young cows which had few offspring, the new ratings from genotype samples that where send off are supposedly more reliable, also another way they can lose stars is half brother/half sister performance, I bought 9 heifers from one herd in April with view to breeding, 5 five 4 four stars, all dropped to 2 & 3 stars I rang up was told was likely due to the bull performance dropped their half sisters/half brothers the year before may have killed out poorly in the mean time

High bike Registered User

Ok here's one for ye.I have twin sim heifers both 5 star one with a replacement value of 113e and the other 111e,why in gods name don't they have the same values?????????

patsy_mccabe Registered User

High bike said:
Ok here's one for ye.I have twin sim heifers both 5 star one with a replacement value of 113e and the other 111e,why in gods name don't they have the same values?????????

One is older than the other.
Seriously though, were they genotyped?

rangler1 Registered User

High bike said:

If there wasn't genomics tests done it'd be down to their individual growth rates.
When their progeny comes along, their values will change again

patsy_mccabe said:
One is older than the other.
Seriously though, were they genotyped?
Dont even know which is older Patsie was at a wedding when she calved😀yes both genotyped but even if they werent surely they should be identical?

rangler1 said:
If there wasn't genomics tests done it'd be down to their individual growth rates.
When their progeny comes along, their values will change again
I know when they have progeny they could change but at the moment they should be the same as there was no weights recorded for them as calves???

rangler1 Registered User

Without genotyping, it's assumed that half of the good genes come from each of the parents, genotyping can tell different.
That's the way i understand it anyway.
Genotyping can give them different values, probably where the difference in yours has come from.
Hope they hold their 5 star rating

rangler1 said:
Without genotyping, it's assumed that half of the good genes come from each of the parents, genotyping can tell different.
That's the way i understand it anyway.
Genotyping can give them different values, probably where the difference in yours has come from.
Hope they hold their 5 star rating
is in the lap of tha gods as far as I can see,as a comrade heifer dropped from 5* to 3* after I ai'd her

rangler1 Registered User

High bike said:
is in the lap of tha gods as far as I can see,as a comrade heifer dropped from 5* to 3* after I ai'd her

I'd still be breeding pedigree sheep only for the same feckin stars. total bull****
A presentation at the ploughing by sheep ireland revealed that the difference between lambs out of a 1 star and a 5 star rams was 1kg at weaning!!!!!!

1 person has thanked this post
charolais0153 Registered User

rangler1 said:
I'd still be breeding pedigree sheep only for the same feckin stars. total bull****
A presentation at the ploughing by sheep ireland revealed that the difference between lambs out of a 1 star and a 5 star rams was 1kg at weaning!!!!!!

Its just that over 100 lambs its worth 200£ more but its still stupid no doubt

Nechtan Registered User

High bike said:

If they've been genotyped it's down to them having different DNA. It's possible for full siblings (even twins) to have very different DNA which means it's actually possible for twins to have different star ratings never mind replacement values.

patsy_mccabe Registered User

Ya exactly it's down to different DNA . 0nly identical twins have the same DNA.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!