GM228 Registered User

I think the 2700s need a new thread now having previously spoke about the current status of the rumoured 2700 return recently.

I'm told fron a reliable source that 20 2700s will indeed be returning to service in 2017 following board approval after a costings exercise, but apparently they won't simply be receiving the minimum work required, they are to be overhauled and receive electrical modifications.

Apparently a tender will be issued soon for their overhaul with first set due on test in Q2 2017.

Watch this space.

4 people have thanked this post
Jamie2k9 Registered User

GM228 said:
I think the 2700s need a new thread now having previously spoke about the current status of the rumoured 2700 return recently.

I'm told fron a reliable source that 20 sets will indeed be returning to service in 2017 following board approval after a costings exercise, but apparently they won't simply be receiving the minimum work required, they are to be overhauled and receive electrical modifications.

Apparently a tender will be issued soon for their overhaul with first set due on test in Q2 2017.

Watch this space.

Such an overhaul is the most sensible. Wonder will they try and have a setup where they are like the 2600, 2800 or 2900?

1 person has thanked this post
Cravens Registered User

So what's the plan? These refurbs heading off Limerick?

GM228 Registered User

Cravens said:
So what's the plan? These refurbs heading off Limerick?

Rumour is they will be based at Drogheda to supplement the commuter fleet, to enable better ICR utilisation by removing ICRs from certain commuter work, enabling full ICR operation on the Rosslare line and increase some train lenghts accross the Network.

3 people have thanked this post
Musketeer4 Banned

Oh, this is good news. I had figured they were destined to eternally operate the Inchicore sound barrier.

How many 2700 railcars are there? I assume if they are bringing only a portion back on line it will involve selection of the best and a lot of cannibalisation of other units for parts in order to control costs.
I even though the fleet would already have been cannibalised since the engines are the same as in the 2600 and 2800s. Will the cannibalised remainder be doomed to the cutters torch? Would the ITG have any interest in a few?

end of the road Registered User

GM228 said:
Rumour is they will be based at Drogheda to supplement the commuter fleet, to enable better ICR utilisation by removing ICRs from certain commuter work, enabling full ICR operation on the Rosslare line and increase some train lenghts accross the Network.

meh, i will believe that when i see it!!
full ICR operation on the rosslare line providing the basic standard of comfort the users of this line actually pay for would be a huge shock indeed. we were supposed to get it years ago.

Musketeer4 said:
Oh, this is good news. I had figured they were destined to eternally operate the Inchicore sound barrier.

ah well they have a number of modern locomotives and other stuff to do that.

they don't have any modern locomotives, newest over 20 years old

Musketeer4 Banned

That's relatively new in locomotive money.

hurricanemk1c Registered User

20 2-car sets = 40 vehicles

Full fleet is 27 vehicles + 2 bicab vehicles

My information was 10 sets, that would go down to Limerick and replace the 2800s, which would then transfer north for the Phoenix Park Tunnel service, releasing up to 5 ICR sets in the morning/evening peaks.

20 years old is mid-life there abouts in locomotive terms. Although the engine technology (barring the EM2000) is about 50 years old in the 201 fleet (soon to be changed)

Musketeer4 Banned

Whats the EM 2000?

Are the 201s going to be re-engined?

GM228 Registered User

hurricanemk1c said:
20 2-car sets = 40 vehicles

Full fleet is 27 vehicles + 2 bicab vehicles

My information was 10 sets, that would go down to Limerick and replace the 2800s, which would then transfer north for the Phoenix Park Tunnel service, releasing up to 5 ICR sets in the morning/evening peaks.

20 years old is mid-life there abouts in locomotive terms. Although the engine technology (barring the EM2000) is about 50 years old in the 201 fleet (soon to be changed)

10 sets is correct, PPT services will be ICRs, 14 MkIVs (2 sets) are being reintroduced to release the ICRs for this.

I'm told the 2800s will stay in Limerick as they are regarded as a common fleet with the 2600s which makes perfect sense.

GM228 Registered User

Musketeer4 said:
Whats the EM 2000?

The computer system on the 201s

Musketeer4 said:
Are the 201s going to be re-engined?

Yes, project has recently been approved.

The tender is on e-Tenders and closed 22/04/2016 @ 1200

EM2000 is the loco management computer, monitoring performance and logging faults

The only times I remember (more than willing to be corrected though) 26s and 28s interworking from current depots was the swap over for leaf fall season as 2600s didn't have sanders (now fitted). Apart from that 2600s only go to Limerick for exams.

Musketeer4 Banned

What type of engine will be fitted? Who was awarded the contract?

Does this mean an end to ying ying ying ying?

Musketeer4 said:
What type of engine will be fitted? Who was awarded the contract?

Does this mean an end to ying ying ying ying?

Tender hasn't been awarded yet so we don't know. Multiple options including multi-engines, and whispers of both MTU and Caterpillar

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!