godtabh Moderator

I think this is worth a read.

Some of it is a bit rich from Tinkov but given his age is it time Contdor to call it a day (clearly he isnt with his Trek contract).

thekooman Registered User

he will be missed... Oleg that is

neris Registered User

thekooman said:
he will be missed... Oleg that is

oleg was a bit of craic in a stodgy peleton led by sky. some of the stuff he said about the race organisations and money was probably true

Cee-Jay-Cee Registered User

I like Contador as a cyclist but have often read before he's a bit of a dry shīte away from the game and hard to get on with. I don't think Tinkoffs remarks will do him any harm, he already has his contract so I'm sure he won't be too worried by it, it might even spur him into being a bit more personable.

1 person has thanked this post
MPFGLB Registered User

I think Contador is probably very dry and overly focused even probably obsessed with what he does ... Many top sports giants are like this ...

Surely its not a major problem for an owner ?

I guess Contador's major sin is he didn't win the Tour. If he had won the Tour Tinkov would hvae been over the top in his praise

As for people not being comfortable around Contador ..I always got that feeling with Roche diaries ...I guess the riders are in awe of Contador and also feel maybe judged in what they are doing plus his personality maybe very awkward in social interactions so they donlt know what to do around him ...but on the otherhand he engenders strong loyalty with some riders not just Spanish ones like Rogers, Tossatto

1 person has thanked this post
MPFGLB Registered User

Also I donlt think Contador is too old yet

He can still win a GT in my book ....no one knows how Froome or Quintana will turn up next year or what mishaps there are a long the way

I think Contador still has a chance but everyone is so quick to write him off

average_runner Registered User

Why the love for a drug cheat?

2 people have thanked this post
mloc123 Subscriber

average_runner said:
Why the love for a drug cheat?

Wiggins? Froome?... oh no, Contador.

timmy_mallet Registered User

I think I speak for everyone when I say Oleg is a complete eejit. Tremendous leadership skills being demonstrated by him. In the end, it doesn't matter, they're both away from each other. Would enjoy Alberto winning a Grand Tour next year, and giving Oleg the finger as he crosses the last line.

pelevin Registered User

I'd say Contador getting slagged off by Tinkov cos of having no interest in being his bosom buddy is a big positive. What a crass classless man Tinkov signs off as.

The public doesn't need to know everything about how you feel, though the modern know-all, no-depth culture might imagine this the greatest of heresies. Contador by contrast has been pleasant & complimentary in his comments on Tinkov. A whole lot more class imo.

And I remember Tinkov saying how the Giro was his favourite race. Now in terms of Grand Tours all he mentions is Contador crashing in the Tour, no mention of how great it was Contador winning the Giro pretty much without a team, literally not a single teammate generally once the roads went up - bucketloads of character to do that, alone in the mountains every time against an army of Astana. Or Contador beating Froome in the Vuelta after the Tour they both crashed out in the Tour. No, doesn't warrant a mention. Contador not drinking though stands out for Tinkov as something important - Contador now bowing to the will of Tinkoff's fragile & huge ego, so the resentment is buried, festers & of course finally gets let loose now.
As far as noone likes Contador, I'd say given who this is coming from, at a guess this could well amount to Tinkov slagging off Contador & noone Tinkov is paying contradicting him.

6 people have thanked this post
timmy_mallet Registered User

pelevin said:
I'd say Contador getting slagged off by Tinkov cos of having no interest in being his bosom buddy is a big positive. What a crass classless man Tinkov signs off as.

The public doesn't need to know everything about how you feel, though the modern know-all, no-depth culture might imagine this the greatest of heresies. Contador by contrast has been pleasant & complimentary in his comments on Tinkov. A whole lot more class imo.

And I remember Tinkov saying how the Giro was his favourite race. Now in terms of Grand Tours all he mentions is Contador crashing in the Tour, no mention of how great it was Contador winning the Giro pretty much without a team, literally not a single teammate generally once the roads went up - bucketloads of character to do that, alone in the mountains every time against an army of Astana. Or Contador beating Froome in the Vuelta after the Tour they both crashed out in the Tour. No, doesn't warrant a mention. Contador not drinking though stands out for Tinkov as something important. As far as noone likes Contador. I'd say given who this is coming from, at a guess this could well amount to Tinkov slagging off Contador & noone Tinkov is paying contradicting him.

Agree with all that. Alberto not playing Tinkov's game, so Oleg has a petty, childish moan.

harringtonp Registered User

Just read it, no doubt in my mind who the tool is

Darkglasses The Elephant in the Room

Tinkov's an awful piece of work. He's had some shocking racist, homophobic and anti-semitic outbursts over the years in public, can only imagine what he's like in private.

2 people have thanked this post
average_runner Registered User

mloc123 said:
Wiggins? Froome?... oh no, Contador.

Whatever you think of Wiggins or Froome, so far they haven't got caught.

Contador is a drug cheat and should never be held in high regard.

pelevin Registered User

average_runner said:
Whatever you think of Wiggins or Froome, so far they haven't got caught.

Contador is a drug cheat and should never be held in high regard.

"Whatever you think of Wiggins or Froome, so far they haven't got caught." I thought he was caught lying very strongly about No Needles - and taking powerful corticosteroids, & Dave Brailsford caught being a blatant hypocrite, & then talking garbage that he had no idea this substance had a history of ped abuse. No idea why it was banned I suppose & just couldn't be arsed finding out. I'm sure all that was in the news lately. Your high moral stance seems to waver very quickly.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!