TeaJ Registered User

Weighing up my options and trying to decide which course and college is better to attend for grad med (excluding courses in Dublin)? Taking all factors into account; course reputation, teaching hospitals available, university facilities, which city is best to live in etc. Any help appreciated, thanks!

TeaJ
Weighing up my options and trying to decide which course and college is better to attend for grad med (excluding courses in Dublin)? Taking all factors into account; course reputation, teaching hospitals available, university facilities, which city is best to live in etc. Any help appreciated, thanks!

Hi TeaJ,

I am also weighing up Cork and Limerick for GEM. I have heard from a teaching staff member in the medical department of NUIG that the UL graduates are second to none and very impressive when they hit the rounds for their placement. I haven't done much research on the medical hospitals but the new UL medical building has been recently completed and worth 15million euro.

Another thing I'm looking into is the PBL style teaching of UL versus the traditional teaching and lecturing style of UCC.

I'm swaying towards Limerick myself. From Google Maps, there is an aldi nearby the campus and the sports centre there is the best in the country. I suppose we all have different things we are looking for!

Which one are you swaying towards? I must actually research the hospitals, it is something that has slipped my mind to investigate.

TeaJ Registered User

Cheers for the reply. I'm very open to attending both, visited Limerick recently and was so impressed by the university and the way they run things in the med school. After 4 years of lectures, PBL would be a nice change.

Will really need to visit UCC before making a decision tho. I think Cork would probably be a more desirable spot to live in but in the grand scheme of things, that's not that important.

I missed the Limerick open day but I'm still fairly set on attending UL. I've been to Cork many times and love the city itself. But like you said, it's not the most important thing to look for. Yea I really like the sound of PBL and this is what's drawing me to Limerick. I've accepted it may be difficult at the start so I am not intimidated by it. I've been waiting so long to study medicine at this stage I'm just very happy I'll have the opportunity.

eagle_&_bear Registered User

Hey all, I'm a current 1st year here in UL GEMS- if you've any specific questions about the course, teaching method, life, study, accommodation and prices, please feel free to ask.

I'd be only too happy to help

TeaJ Registered User

Thanks man. Really just want to find out more about the PBL aspect of the course? Does the majority of the class enjoy it as a change to conventional didactic structured courses? Also, do you know of anyone who regrets not going to Limerick for that reason? I'm pretty interested in the PBL way of doing things and don't know if I could go into 9-5 lectures again.

1 person has thanked this post

TeaJ said:
Thanks man. Really just want to find out more about the PBL aspect of the course? Does the majority of the class enjoy it as a change to conventional didactic structured courses? Also, do you know of anyone who regrets not going to Limerick for that reason? I'm pretty interested in the PBL way of doing things and don't know if I could go into 9-5 lectures again.

No one regrets not going to UL. Sham course down there.

Flange/Flanders Registered User

Killergreene said:

Hmm, pretty extraordinary statement to be coming out with. As a current GEM student of another irish medical student, anecdotally I've heard that UL GEM grads are very impressive on the wards.

Killergreene said:

So where are you studying? Your comment is entirely unfounded unless you can back it up with supported material

TeaJ said:

TeaJ I'll mail you privately and happy to talk over the phone or meet for a coffee and discuss it

lucky18 Registered User

Hey there! I am also stuck between UCC and UL. Would you be able to give me some info also?

Nonoperational Registered User

Went to UCC. They also have a relatively new health campus. New ASSERT centre just open for technology and simulation assisted learning. Mixture of PBL and lectures, weighted towards lectures. Really enjoyed it. Nice variety of hospitals to rotate thorough too.

The comment about students on the wards, pinch of salt needed there. Regardless of where they are from some are great some are terrible.

Go to Ucc. Lovely campus. Brookfield is great. UL is a joke

Billydolan Registered User

UCC is awful. Avoid like the plague.

PyramidUp Registered User

This has been a very helpful thread...

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!