average_runner Registered User
#1,066

I am a subscriber on Dublin bikes, but never used it. Its handy to have in case of an emergency to get thru traffic etc.

HivemindXX Registered User
#1,067

average_runner said:
I am a subscriber on Dublin bikes, but never used it. Its handy to have in case of an emergency to get thru traffic etc.

As far as being an indicator for how many cyclists there are it is still good though. You are still a cyclist correct? I also have a subscription and very rarely use it since I mostly use my own bike. I doubt very many people have Dublin Bikes subscriptions but never cycle at all.

3 people have thanked this post
HivemindXX Registered User
#1,068

Arcade_Tryer said:
http://www.newstalk.com/Dublin-congestion-makes-it-slowestmoving-major-city

From article

A strong incentive to saddle up and surely a proper discussion on congestion charges in Dublin city centre?

You might think that, but I imagine there are plenty of people who see this is reason to get traffic moving by getting rid of cyclists and bus lanes and reducing the number of pedestrian crossings and adding more roads and eliminating that impossible to obey 30kph limit. I've seen all those views expressed on boards.

2 people have thanked this post
#1,069

HivemindXX said:
As far as being an indicator for how many cyclists there are it is still good though. You are still a cyclist correct? I also have a subscription and very rarely use it since I mostly use my own bike. I doubt very many people have Dublin Bikes subscriptions but never cycle at all.

I used to be. Kinda given it up lately.

tomasrojo Registered User
#1,070

Deedsie said:

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/amp/a-perfect-marriage-electric-car-charging-and-solar-power

We should be planning for car parks like that within walking distance of or town centres.

I read a while ago that if electric vehicles really take off, supermarkets and malls would end up competing to recharge them during the time they were parked outside; that is, if you didn't offer customers a free recharge (also envisioned as being solar powered in the article I read), you'd lose them.

Sounded plausible when I read it anyway.

1 person has thanked this post
Pinch Flat Registered User
#1,071

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dangerous-driving-conditions-expected-as-countrywide-snowice-warning-comes-into-effect-35548736.html

More bad weather on the way folks, only impacts drivers though, so it'll be fine for cycling and walking.

CramCycle A wholly unreasonable man
#1,072

Pinch
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dangerous-driving-conditions-expected-as-countrywide-snowice-warning-comes-into-effect-35548736.html

More bad weather on the way folks, only impacts drivers though, so it'll be fine for cycling and walking.

Should increase their commute in by a factor of 2. I will enjoy spending a 1/4 of the time getting warmed up and healthier, and then having a lovely cuppa before starting. Smug factor: 4/5

Pinch Flat Registered User
#1,073

CramCycle said:
Should increase their commute in by a factor of 2. I will enjoy spending a 1/4 of the time getting warmed up and healthier, and then having a lovely cuppa before starting. Smug factor: 4/5

expect the words m50, vehicle, delays to feature as buzz words tomorrow morning.

#1,074

Pinch Flat said:
expect the words m50, vehicle, delays to feature as buzz words tomorrow morning.

It's mainly in the west. Independent is terrible for weather. Beautiful.sunny day but a bit cold. Bus is warm though.

Jep Gambardella Famously Vigorous Service Provider
#1,075

You wouldn't get many clicks if your headline was "Weather will be a bit colder than usual tomorrow."

2 people have thanked this post
CramCycle A wholly unreasonable man
#1,076

Jep Gambardella said:
You wouldn't get many clicks if your headline was "Weather will be a bit colder than usual tomorrow."

You might get a bit more respect though.

4 people have thanked this post
#1,077

Jep Gambardella said:

True, but the paper is now just a rag. Better off going with the forecasts on the weather forum on boards.

#1,078

Deedsie said:
Bike was warmer, I bucketed sweat. Snood and two jackets was excessive.

Each to their own. Just cycling in the city for me is not worth it. Now outside the city its brillant.

Jep Gambardella Famously Vigorous Service Provider
#1,079

"We sexed up a fairly mundane weather forecast. You wouldn't believe what happened next".

5 people have thanked this post
#1,080

Deedsie said:
I presumed you did cycle considering how often you use this forum. I wasnt having a go at you there was just saying the doomsday weather reports should be regionally based.

It was a perfect morning to cycle in Dublin. I made the mistake of wearing too much clothes.

I know you weren't having a go. Papers will always do the doomsday weather, just to sell papers.

The reason I don't like cycling in the city, its just alot of hassle and not relaxing. So I just relax on the bus and look at netflix or read a book.

I do cycle some weekends, not enough as I do more running instead. But now the weather will get better it be off to the parks with the kids on their bikes.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!