ablelocks Registered User

ablelocks said:
I'm trying to find an instant print camera for my 12 yr old that has the seemingly unique feature of being able to select which photos you would like to print.

(Polaroid Z2300 is too expensive)

The Polaroid Snap seems to be the closest, in that if you leave out the paper, it will save the photos and you can select and print later. Kind of defeats the purpose though?

The Polaroid Zip, prints from IOS
or Android devices (in her case, an ipod touch). But 2 devices to carry around is not ideal.

Fujifilm Instax Mini Range - looks like every photo is printed. in the hands of a 12 year old, I'd have a standing order for paper!

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

thanks

I posted this question this time last year, but didn't go ahead with it. However, daughter saw the Fuji Instax on the toy show last night, and thought it was cool.

so, are there any new models that allow you to select the photos you want to print?

humberklog Moderator

eh i dunno said:
Thinking of getting one for the wife. Which is the best one to get and how much does it cost per photo?

I've got the instax 90 mini (or nano). Excellent. Gives the user some control over exposure etc.

About E150 for camera and E1.15 per snap.

DaireQuinlan Registered User

ablelocks said:
I posted this question this time last year, but didn't go ahead with it. However, daughter saw the Fuji Instax on the toy show last night, and thought it was cool.

so, are there any new models that allow you to select the photos you want to print?

Those Polaroid cameras and the Instax cameras are fundamentally different beasts. The polaroid ones are essentially digital devices that print onto special paper (some thermal activation yoke, dunno) so in the camera case you take the shot, and you can decide whether or not you want to print it out.
Instax cameras expose the shot ONTO the instant film, then eject it, in the process spreading crazy caustic magic gloop over the film which develops the film over a minute or so.

1 person has thanked this post
ablelocks Registered User

thermal activation yoke or crazy caustic magic gloop

decisions decisions.

mdebets Registered User

ablelocks said:

The Polaroid Snap Touch is the successor of the Original Snap. It now has a Display and you can select, which photos to print. It is however around 200€.
Prints of all Polaroids are around 0.50€.
I think it really depends what you want to do with it. If you keep the prints, the Fuji are the better cameras. If you give the prints away and want to keep a memory of them, the Polaroids are better.

ablelocks said:
thermal activation yoke or crazy caustic magic gloop

decisions decisions.

crazy caustic magic gloop every time, no contest.

Dub. Registered User

Leaked Photos of Fuji’s New Instax Square Camera.

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/15/leaked-photos-fujis-new-instax-square-camera-instant-film/

Not sure what to think of this. It looks like a cross between an Instax printer and a digital camera.

Bacchus Registered User

There must be an official update coming soon for this? The release date is sometime in Spring. I'm itching to get an Instax camera but have been holding out for the Square as I much prefer that form factor.

there are two leaked models so far apparently. One is like that polaroid yoke, it'll have a digital sensor, and will print out onto instax. The other will be a conventional instax, i.e. exposes onto the film and ejects it immediately. I think Fuji have gone off the rails again with this. Instax could be a complete cash cow for them (or maybe already is) but they're flailing.

Dub. Registered User

As mentioned above, it looks like there will be two models to choose from for the new square film. This is the other, non digital model.

http://www.fujirumors.com/clarification-fujifilm-instax-square-sq10-hybrid-digitalfilm-usb-charging-instax-square-sq-film/#disqus_thread

Looks similar to the Leica Sofort to me. Please let it have a decent lens, a flash off facility, a tripod mount and a self timer.

Cork Photographer Registered User

I just don't see the need to buy one. Very limited in what you can do. I've never said that about gadgets, someone please convince me.... Anyone ?

Dub. Registered User

Instax Square SQ10 details revealed. Sorry, don`t like it. I think i`ll wait for the non digital version.

http://www.theverge.com/photography/2017/4/19/15353400/fujifilm-instax-square-sq10-announced-price-features

Bacchus Registered User

Is there any details/timeline for a non-digital version?

I'm very tempted by this one but TBH, I don't really care about saving the image to an SD card, applying filters in camera, etc. Part of the motivation for me getting one of these is that it's a easy access film camera and adding the ability to take hundreds of photos and pick your best ones to print takes away from that.... still tempted though

Bacchus Registered User

So... did anyone dipped their toes and try out the Instax Square?

From the early reviews, I think I'll pass on it. I don't like that it's effectively a printer in a digital camera.... though I've not seen a print out in person so don't know what the quality/feel of the print is. I does feel though that 'heart' so to speak is taken out of instant film.

Any good alternatives? I checked out the other Instax range and TBH, the prints are tiny. They literally are credit card sized.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!