Canneverfindit Registered User

I know its early. Probably far too early.
But many of us are already discussing next year's EP so I figured why not a B&S chat too?

Trying to be organised for once in my life;
I've never been to B&S before but intend to go with kids next June. It'll be their first festival and therefore my first with kids in two - hence the requirement for a bit of organisation.

Does anyone know when tickets generally go on sale? I'll need family camping this year and if they're anything like EP, know they'll sell out first.

I would love to hear about everyone's previous experiences at B&S? what to expect/ how would you rate it?
I've done 3 EPs - how do they compare?. (I know we're talking roughly 40K people in the difference)

What I do know about B&S is that they operate a free flow alcohol policy... wayhey!!!

2 people have thanked this post
MJohnston Registered User

I didn't go this year (had tickets, but then it turned out to be the weekend before my kid was born, so I had to sell them ) but went in 2015. Absolutely loved it. Less peripheral stuff going on compared to EP, but really reminiscent of how EP was 'back in the day'.
Distances for walking around the site were much shorter than EP, which means you don't walk the feet off yourself.
Free flow booze policy is fantastic, and it means that people aren't getting absolutely hammered in the campsites. Not that this is much of a problem anyway, the crowds are much more mature and relaxed.

I suppose, with kids, I'd recommend trying to hire a campervan for the weekend. They'll be easier to acquire compared to EP weekend, and the campervan site is really only about an extra 50m away from the festival compared to the regular campsites.

Definitely planning on heading myself this year in the campervan, with my wife and the baby if they're up for it.

bodhrandude Registered User

Me bags the first suggestion, seeing that EP got Toots this year, I think Body & Soul should book Toots and the Maytals before he gets too old for touring, I don't think they have played it yet.

1 person has thanked this post

MJohnston said:
I didn't go this year (had tickets, but then it turned out to be the weekend before my kid was born, so I had to sell them ) but went in 2015. Absolutely loved it. Less peripheral stuff going on compared to EP, but really reminiscent of how EP was 'back in the day'.
Distances for walking around the site were much shorter than EP, which means you don't walk the feet off yourself.
Free flow booze policy is fantastic, and it means that people aren't getting absolutely hammered in the campsites. Not that this is much of a problem anyway, the crowds are much more mature and relaxed.

I suppose, with kids, I'd recommend trying to hire a campervan for the weekend. They'll be easier to acquire compared to EP weekend, and the campervan site is really only about an extra 50m away from the festival compared to the regular campsites.

Definitely planning on heading myself this year in the campervan, with my wife and the baby if they're up for it.

Aw great - this is really helpful. Thanks a million. Particularly the parts about it being a little bit of a more mature crowd etc. Just obviously a small bit more concerned than usual due to the kids.
I looked at the Soul Kids section on the website and it looks great. I was asking a friend if she'd ever brought any of her kids to Glasto and she said she did - ended up exploring parts she never would have usually which sounds good.

Did you say it wasnt until March that the tickets went on sale last year?

Congratulations on your new baby, by the way!

bodhrandude said:
Me bags the first suggestion, seeing that EP got Toots this year, I think Body & Soul should book Toots and the Maytals before he gets too old for touring, I don't think they have played it yet.

I am genuinely not over the fact that I missed Toots at EP this year. It was one of my 'definite must sees' but stupidly got side tracked. I'm therfore bitching ALL WEEK LONG about the fact I missed it. Gutted. I will be over the moon if hes announced for this...

Bazzo Registered User

I've been the last 3 years on the trot. It's a really great weekend, very laid back and a lot of smaller but cool little acts, plus a couple of bigger acts headlining at night. Crowd tends to be very laid back and friendly and the smaller numbers makes it feel even more relaxed.

My big gripe is the queueing to get in on Friday can be nuts but there's a special family entrance so you should be grand. You're also limited on the amount of drink you can bring in to 24 cans + a bottle of wine or 1 bottle of spirits + a bottle of wine. The free flow booze policy is great.

Oh and the ground really didn't hold up very well in the rain this year... at all. With the nice weather the other two years though it was gorgeous

MJohnston Registered User

They sent out a Survey monkey type thing earlier this year asking for suggestions for improvements btw - really appreciated that as a difference from EP where sending feedback just seems to be a black hole.

Simona1986 Registered User

MJohnston
They sent out a Survey monkey type thing earlier this year asking for suggestions for improvements btw - really appreciated that as a difference from EP where sending feedback just seems to be a black hole.

I didn't get that!

First year going last year, stayed in campervans. Wasn't impressed with the campsite which was very uneven and became very treacherous when the mud surfaced. Otherwise great weekend but it isn't quite the spectacle that EP is for me.

Charlie Registered User

This year was my first B&S. Can't recommend it enough. As others have said, the atmosphere and crowd really do make it a great weekend.

The bookers obviously work tirelessly selecting the acts, as the calibre of music on show this year was really really good.

Mother DJs on the Saturday night is worth the ticket price alone.

bodhrandude Registered User

It would be interesting if they made it into a domed festival, if we get a repeat of the same weather as the last one.

MadYaker Registered User

Id love if they changed the dates a bit so it wasn't so close to Glastonbury. I can't ignore work for long enough to get to both. If I don't get tickets for Glastonbury id say I'll definitely go to this. I've never been to a small festival.

grudgehugger Registered User

Canneverfindit said:

I've never been to B&S before but intend to go with kids next June.

My wife and I have gone to this the last 5 years, and brought kids every time. Eldest is now 5, youngun will be 2 shortly.

Tbh, would love to go on our own at some point, however we have a gang of mates who go to EP with us that are not interested in B&S, so the Picnic is now our annual adults only venture with B&S being for the kids.

They both have a great time, particularly the older of the two - however the younger will start to really enjoy it next year if he's anything like his brother.

As is traditional for any festival attendee who was there in the earlier years of an event that is now firmly established and much larger than originally, I feel B&S is losing some of the magic. *** SOUND THE CLICHE ALARM *** Hey, it's still what I feel...

The new location for the Reckless in Love stage this year (essentially an empty, undecorated field) didn't feel like they were putting their soul into things as much as I'd like although what I think was the principle behind it - which seemed to be an effort to take the livelier aspects of the festival out of the woods - did seem to work well and bring some of the magic back to the forest.

Soul Kids is a great safe haven with the kiddies and there was a really good little playground in the reggae area (Port Royal) - overall plenty to keep the kids occupied although the organisation of the family campsite leaves a fair bit to be desired. The Picnic has historically kept families well segregated from the rest of the campers - at B&S you're camping in the same field as everyone else (with a rope fence seperating you and relatively lax security) so if that concerns you then maybe the wrong festival to start with in terms of the kids. It totally doesn't bother us and we've never had any hassle whatsoever (hence going is an annual event). I mention it as we have met other parents that get really upset and bothered about what does seem to be the slightly chaotic organisation of things at the festival...

The main stage at Body and Soul is often very very quiet (criminally poor crowd for the likes of Sun Kil Moon at this year's fest) which is good for watching bands with the kids.

There's some random thoughts for you - if you've any other questions on what the set-up is like when bringing kids drop me a PM or indeed post them on the forum if you like and I'll answer as best I can...

grudgehugger said:

There's some random thoughts for you - if you've any other questions on what the set-up is like when bringing kids drop me a PM or indeed post them on the forum if you like and I'll answer as best I can...

This is really kind of you - thanks a million. You could be sorry you said so over the next few months.

We're the same re EP being our 'adult weekend'. We dont intend to bring the kids there as we're have it marked as our 'completely irresponsible weekend' of the year.

Good to know about the rope separating the campsites - I think we'll be ok with this but I do prefer to know what to expect before venturing somewhere.

Has anyone any thoughts on line up or is it far too early?

Or when is the line up announced, is it done in a few stages like EP?

I wont keep prattling on and on about kids cos I know it isnt fair on others here but I do intend to start looking up a few bands and playing their music around the house so the kids are familiar enough with the sound and will get more out of the event.

I almost f*cking cried when my (then) 8 year old announced a love for One Direction so I feel its my parental responsibility to try instil a bit of good musical taste into her/ them..

team_actimel Registered User

I've never been to B&S but looking to go this year. Seeing Glastonbury as a possibility too but is it looking likely these dates will clash?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!