wicked_wytch Registered User

I learned from youtube, millions of videos showing how to crochet. Also you can get hundreds of free patterns from ravelry.com

There are plenty of crochet facebook groups too. Try and do a CAL or Crochet ALong, there are usually a few on the go. They are a group project where a new bit of the pattern is released each week. You print it off and work away for the week until the next bit is released, like being given a crochet homework assignment each week. They usually have associated facebook groups where people doing the CAL can ask questions, compare progress, solve problems. I found it really encouraged me to learn new stitches quickly and gave me some motivation to keep doing a particular project. I'm in the middle of doing the Mandala madness CAL and have learned soooo much. There are free youtube videos to go along with it for each week and free patterns. Another one is the Sophies Universe crochet along. Don't be put off by how complex they look, I'd been crocheting all of 2 months before I started mine and could only do one or two stitches. After a week or 2 of the CAL I'd learned 4 or 5 new stitches and became a lot more confident. You can do them live as they happen and crochet along with the group or you can download all at once and go at your own pace.

3 people have thanked this post
silverlight69 Registered User

I learnt to crochet through youtube videos. The basic stitches are very clearly explained and there are many interesting projects to try to do. To see a finished project and know you did it is a wonderful feeling. I was nervous of the knitting as I kept dropping stitches and it is a very slow process. Crochet is much faster and your results are almost immediate. I am a big fan of crochet now.

I think I am a visual learner. I had a lot of difficulty with understanding the way patterns are written in books. However, I can read them a bit better since learning online. I am thrilled to do it now. It has opened a brand new world to me.

1 person has thanked this post
jumbootoys Registered User

recently m tried to learn crochet from youtube but it is hard so not till fully understand

I find Bella Coco,(UK terms) JaydaInStitches (US terms) and Bag O Day tutorials extremely easy to follow. They are aimed at beginners. You can pause the video, replay the bit you need to understand as often as you wish. There are lots of crochet projects to enjoy making too. Take your time with it and you will get the hang of it.

All available on Youtube

Jellybaby1 Registered User

I would second what silverlight69 said. I also use The Crochet Crowd on Youtube. I work in British terms but I can transfer the American terms to British if necessary. Mikey and Bella are gentle folk, Jayda on the other hand is a tad hyper but I love her tutorials to bits! There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube but here are the links:

The Crochet Crowd (Mikey) (American terms)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11iw-yBGm-k&list=PL69F5A7FE3F95232F

Bella Coco (British terms)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npIsh-o9AM0

Jayda in Stitches (American terms)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWFI-S2WLW4

The Raptor Banned

I have to say I'm really liking crochet. I'm still doing fairly basic stitches but I'm learning. I only started my scarf at Christmas. There's alot of work in it. I thought it wouldn't take so long and it wouldn't take 3 weeks but it takes ages to see results. Another week or so.

2 people have thanked this post

You'll get quicker the more you do it. Well done!

The Raptor Banned

Well, I'm finally finished my scarf. I must admit, I really enjoyed making it. One or two mistakes but hardly noticeable, like I added in an extra stitch on the second row and didn't notice it until it was finished. It's hardly noticeable though, so I'll still use it.

The Raptor said:
Well, I'm finally finished my scarf. I must admit, I really enjoyed making it. One or two mistakes but hardly noticeable, like I added in an extra stitch on the second row and didn't notice it until it was finished. It's hardly noticeable though, so I'll still use it.

Congratulations! Keep going now, and learn new stitches. I find the modern patterns are more attractive than the older ones from my early days, and clever crafters keep coming up with new ideas.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!