IAmTheWasp Registered User

Hello guys,

I recently bought this a Trek 7.3 Hybrid - sorry I can't attach a link.

Could someone recommend any puncture-proof tyres, I used to have gator-skins a few years back.

(The size is 700 x 32c)

Thanks

smacl Registered User

IAmTheWasp said:
Hello guys,

I recently bought this a Trek 7.3 Hybrid - sorry I can't attach a link.

Could someone recommend any puncture-proof tyres, I used to have gator-skins a few years back.

(The size is 700 x 32c)

Thanks

Marathon plus are pretty much bomb proof but heavy, Marathon Supremes are lighter, roll better but somewhat less puncture resistant and quite expensive. I run Marathon Supremes and usually get 1-2 punctures per year over ~5000km mostly rural. For city use, I'd go Marathon plus, particularly if using cycle lanes.

boardbeer Registered User

IAmTheWasp said:

The only puncture-proof (as opposed to puncture-resistant) tyres are Tannus. I've been commuting on them for more than a year, and they've been great, all weathers, all kinds of crap in the road.

Joe'll sort you out at Dublin Loves Bikes (York Rd, Dun Laoghaire).

mr spuckler Registered User

to add on the schwalbe marathon plus, both myself and mrs spuckler have been using them daily on our commutes for close to 7 years with no dreaded punctures in that entire time.

they are tough to put on, plastic tyre levers will not do the job for you, but once you keep them well inflated you shouldn't need to be taking them off very often.

1 person has thanked this post
Orion My karma just ran over your dogma

I use Schwalbe Duranos and have never had a puncture. No tyres are completely puncture proof but keep them pumped up (for those tyres at least 100psi) and a good tyre and you'll be grand. Gatorskins are good too but I don't like them in the wet - much prefer the Duranos.

Seve OB Registered User

slightly off topic, but how long should one get out of a set of road bike tyres?

kneemos Registered User

I usually buy these.Not puncture proof but resistant,plus they're cheap and I cycled ten miles with a rear puncture one day without any damage to the tyre or the rim. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-tourride-city-road-tyre/

Orion My karma just ran over your dogma

Seve OB said:
slightly off topic, but how long should one get out of a set of road bike tyres?

How long is a piece of string?

A decent tyre, always pumped up hard, should last anything from 2000-10,000km. But it depends on the roads you're on - tarmac is lower wear, gravel or cement is higher wear - and the tyre itself - Marathon (up to 10k) or Durano (7k) will last longer than Lugano* (3k) - and that's just Schwalbe tyres.

But the main thing it to always pump it up the recommended pressure - for 700*32 which I use I never have them less than 100psi. If it's too low then there's more wear on the tyre.

Check the tyres every time you clean the bike (you do clean it right? ) and look for signs of wear.

* pieces of crap that come on a lot of bikes - take them off and throw them out.

2 people have thanked this post
AmboMan Registered User

I've been using Clement X'Plor USH Tyre for a year, daily Dublin commute 30Km, still look new and no punctures, I'm 110Kg !

smacl Registered User

Orion said:
I use Schwalbe Duranos

Durano or Durano Plus? I used Durano plus on the road bike and find them very good with minimal puncturing, normal Durano don't have the samle level of puncture protection.

Seve OB Registered User

Orion said:
How long is a piece of string?

A decent tyre, always pumped up hard, should last anything from 2000-10,000km. But it depends on the roads you're on - tarmac is lower wear, gravel or cement is higher wear - and the tyre itself - Marathon (up to 10k) or Durano (7k) will last longer than Lugano* (3k) - and that's just Schwalbe tyres.

But the main thing it to always pump it up the recommended pressure - for 700*32 which I use I never have them less than 100psi. If it's too low then there's more wear on the tyre.

Check the tyres every time you clean the bike (you do clean it right? ) and look for signs of wear.

* pieces of crap that come on a lot of bikes - take them off and throw them out.

Yep I clean her. Prob not as often as I should or would like to, but that's what I get for having kids....... No time to do anything!

I must check out my Garmin to see how many kms I've racked up. My tyres seem decent enough but they were the ones which came on it, I'm not sure of brand. I pump her up to 120 generally but probably don't check it often enough. I have had a few punctures (thankfully none in a good while now) so when the time comes to change tyre I'm interested in upgrading my tyres to something that might be a bit more indestructible!

Effects Registered User

I use the Durano plus myself. I've cut through to the blue layer in a good few places, all probably guaranteed punctures with a standard tyre.

Seaswimmer Registered User

boardbeer said:
The only puncture-proof (as opposed to puncture-resistant) tyres are Tannus. I've been commuting on them for more than a year, and they've been great, all weathers, all kinds of crap in the road.

Joe'll sort you out at Dublin Loves Bikes (York Rd, Dun Laoghaire).

Got a set of these for my son last week in Dun Laoghaire. He is very happy so far.

just as a matter of interest what are they like for you after a year. What sort of mileage to date and how are they wearing.

BailMeOut Registered User

did your new Trek not come with the thick heavy Bontrager tyres? I had a pair of these on a Trek FX and they seemed immune to punctures. They are slow but they are pretty tough.

Two and one Banned

How much are we talking about for these puncture proof tyres?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!