Hermy Registered User

BowWow said:
Really shouldn't be a difficulty...

Indeed there shouldn't be a difficulty but whomsoever's in charge always manages to prove us wrong on that count.

3 people have thanked this post
montgo Registered User

According to 1911 census, Charles Bailey was married 3 years to his wife Johanna/Hanna Daly probably in the district of Kilmallock, Mitchelstown or Limerick. can anyone find the marriage record? Happy New Year!

Hermy Registered User

I tried a few of the usual tricks but I'm not seeing sight nor sound of it.

mickmackey1 Registered User

In the '01 census Charles Bailey is listed as the stepson of Patrick Walsh so there may be some doubt about which surname he used for the marriage. I'll PM you a link to an article in the newspaper archives.

1 person has thanked this post
montgo Registered User

Not straightforward then! However, I also looked for the marriage record under her name without result. I even looked up her baptism record, sometimes the marriage details were annotated but not this time.

pinkypinky Moderator

Have you checked the UK?
Also, did they have any children - check birth records for the names of the parents in case there's a difference.

montgo Registered User

pinkypinky said:
Have you checked the UK?
Also, did they have any children - check birth records for the names of the parents in case there's a difference.

thanks. Yes I did a quick check in the UK for the marriage. The children's birth records show parents' names as above.

Hermy Registered User

I noticed one of the children's births was incorrectly indexed under Midleton even the record is clearly from Mitchelstown.

montgo Registered User

Yep, and mother's first name incorrectly recorded as Hanora instead of Johanna/Hanna.

montgo Registered User

GRO birth record has annotation "Registered on Statutory Declaration". What does mean? The birth was registered nearly 6 months late? What was the time period for registration and what was the fine if due?

pinkypinky Moderator

3 months is the time frame. I think the amount of the fine changed over time though.

pedroeibar1 Registered User

It depends on when. The time period varied and there was also a difference between ‘notification’ and registration. The various fees and fines would have changed over the years.

The Civil Registration Act, 2004 changed some of the rules about registering a birth. These changes took effect from 5th December 2005. That act replaced several older ones, the main ones being the Births and Deaths Registration Acts 1863 to 1996 and the Births and Deaths Registration Act (Ireland) 1880.

The main act under which the registration was established was an Act for the Registration of Births and Deaths in Ireland. [20 April 1863] 26 & 27 Vict. c.11.
See sections 30-35

2 people have thanked this post
montgo Registered User

Many thanks for the link, Pedro, some reading to do now

DamoRed Registered User

On more than one visit to the GRO in Werburgh St I've seen 2 people sitting together searching different books. Would they both be paying a €20 fee for unlimited searches, or is that only payable by one person, if they're accompanied?

pinkypinky Moderator

No, you can pay one fee of €20 and both search.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!