shanew Registered User

some interesting news re Civil records from Irish Genealogy News

http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2016/08/onlnine-launch-irish-birth-marriage.html

7 people have thanked this post
hjr Registered User

If Ireland did knighthoods, Claire Santry would be top of the list...! Such a great source of reliable knowledge!

2 people have thanked this post
pinkypinky Moderator

Beyond excited.

Have a wishlist of certs already to go in preparation for this day.

mod9maple Registered User

Well, the devil is in the detail, so I'll reserve judgement for now but to avoid being called a stick in the mud I'll admit to being provisionally excited.

RGM Registered User

Is this essentially a release of all civil certs up to a certain year? Or am I misunderstanding what the registers are.

pinkypinky Moderator

Yes, that's right.

Hopefully they've consulted the DPC this time and they won't revoke it.

1 person has thanked this post

In effect, yes, I believe so. Birth certs up to the end of 1915 (14? 16?), marriage certs up to 1940 (?), and death certs up to 1965 (?). Images of original entries that is.

I find the last comment in Claire's blog entry intriguing too. The long awaited associated Griffiths books? Must be I suppose. Of course I don't mean the cancelled/revision books. I mean the others whose names I forget.

Edit: field, house and quarto books.

RGM Registered User

Wow.

Spare a moment for the dusty, musty genealogists of old who actually had to get dressed and leave their couch to do research.

2 people have thanked this post

RGM
Spare a moment for the dusty, musty genealogists of old who actually had to get dressed and leave their couch to do research.

I agree though John Grenham makes a good point about that very subject in his latest blog entry. Worth a read.

RGM Registered User

mod9maple said:
I agree though John Grenham makes a good point about that very subject in his latest blog entry. Worth a read.

Of course. My biggest genealogical pet peeve is that so many people expect to be able to do everything online ("Why can't I find my own birth certificate?").

Still, it's amazing what can be done now.

Alan259 Registered User

This is phenomenal.

I wonder will they have the 'miscellaneous' GRO records included in this, e.g. births and deaths at sea, Lourdes marriages, etc.

pinkypinky Moderator

I doubt it. Wouldn't imagine there'd be more than a handful of Lourdes marriages over 75 years ago.

Jellybaby1 Registered User

Can't speak........holding breath! Been waiting for so many certs for so long.

spurious Category Moderator

I might finally find a trace of my 'disappeared' great grand uncle.

KildareFan Registered User

does this mean I could have saved all those 4euros I spent on copies?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!