scheister Registered User

Was just looking at the kildare county council planning list. McDonalds are after putting in permission for a drive though only restaurant in a part of the current Tesco carpark on the maynooth road.

Planning number 16919

3 people have thanked this post
Buffman Registered User

scheister said:

Planning number 16886

Are you sure about that number? From what I can see that relates to the fuel station on the Clane Road, I don't see anything recent for the Tesco site on the online map.

16/886
Sofa Properties Ltd
18/08/2016

1) the change of use of 32.8sq.m from the permitted
storage area under Reg. Ref. 08/835 to commercial
use incorporating 30.76sq.m for café/deli, 0.64sq.m
retail area and 1.4sq.m general circulation space. 2)
an increase to the net retail floor area of 51.25sq.m
so that the overall total is now 143sq.m and 3)
modifications to the storage area resulting in a
storage area of 55.6sq.m and associated ancillary
revisions. Permission is also sought for a single
storey extension of 73sq.m to accommodate
additional seating for the café/deli area and
additional works and all consequent elevational
alterations and works
Topaz Service Station & Spar Shop
Clane Road
Celbridge
Co. Kildare

Stealthirl Registered User

This was on facebook the other day

Attachments
mcd.jpg

Buffman said:
Are you sure about that number? From what I can see that relates to the fuel station on the Clane Road, I don't see anything recent for the Tesco site on the online map.

Was looking at both yesterday will check number when I get into work

have corrected the planning number in the original post

2 people have thanked this post

I'm thinking this will go into the space where the bottle banks are?
Also, it seems to indicate drive through only, with outdoor seating, surely a walkin section would have to there aswell.

Movie Maestro Registered User

Oh Christ this would be a BAD idea. Although I do like MacDonald's food I do think it will be a blight on the area generating a lot of rubbish. Hopefully if it gets the go ahead I'll be wrong Would locals welcome this I wonder?

1 person has thanked this post
L1011 Moderator

Movie Maestro said:
Oh Christ this would be a BAD idea. Although I do like MacDonald's food I do think it will be a blight on the area generating a lot of rubbish. Hopefully if it gets the go ahead I'll be wrong Would locals welcome this I wonder?

McDonalds staff go out cleaning up - that'll likely even be made as an offer in the planning app. Go take a look at the Maynooth drivethrough if you want to see the impact (minimal) it has.

Movie Maestro Registered User

L1011 said:
McDonalds staff go out cleaning up - that'll likely even be made as an offer in the planning app. Go take a look at the Maynooth drivethrough if you want to see the impact (minimal) it has.

To be fair thats true. Fingers crossed

ongarboy Registered User

Drive thru only? I've never seen a standalone McDs without an internal seating area apart from the express counter type ones you see in train stations or airports abroad. That's unusual.

Edit: just reading the planning app online now and it just seems to be a standard drive thru restaurant application so I expect there to be internal seating. 410 square meters would otherwise be a lot of space for just kitchen facilities without seating.

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLIte/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=06a-16919&FromList=true

Are there schools nearby? They influenced the rejection of a KFC in Navan and McDonalds in Greystones recently as they said they'd be too much of a temptation for the school kids and would encourage obesity.

radharc Registered User

Nothing in the application says 'D/T only'.

Buffman Registered User

My main concern with this location is the extra traffic it's going to attract to the two already busy signalled junctions at Tesco.

If they'd used roundabouts like Maynooth, this wouldn't be an issue. As it is now, between the two poorly designed signalled junctions and the dangerous non-signalled concealed exit from Lidl/Primary Care Centre, the whole area is mess for traffic at peak times.

ongarboy said:
Drive thru only? I've never seen a standalone McDs without an internal seating area apart from the express counter type ones you see in train stations or airports abroad. That's unusual.

Edit: just reading the planning app online now and it just seems to be a standard drive thru restaurant application so I expect there to be internal seating. 410 square meters would otherwise be a lot of space for just kitchen facilities without seating.

Ye, I was thinking the same, 'drive-thru' only wouldn't make any sense for an area as busy as that with potential 'walk in' customers.

ongarboy said:
Are there schools nearby? They influenced the rejection of a KFC in Navan and McDonalds in Greystones recently as they said they'd be too much of a temptation for the school kids and would encourage obesity.

Given the scattered nature of the schools all over the town, it's probably one of the few sites in Celbridge where they won't be very close to a school. Maybe that's why they chose it given the recent issues in the other towns?

mloc123 Subscriber

Is there demand for it? Depending on which side of the bridge you live on there is a McDonalds 10 minutes away.. in Lucan or Maynooth.

This is the planned location afaik:

Attachments
mcd.jpg
corm500 Registered User

mloc123 said:
Is there demand for it? Depending on which side of the bridge you live on there is a McDonalds 10 minutes away.. in Lucan or Maynooth.

Celbridge has a population of over 20,000, much bigger than Maynooth's, so I would say yes there is a demand for it. A town the size of Celbridge needs to be self contained and shouldnt be looking at traveling to other towns for this sort of thing.
And i'm saying this as someone who is not a fan of McDonalds. But, live and let live.
Not everything has to be a fine dining experience.

3 people have thanked this post
Buffman Registered User

mloc123 said:

This is the planned location afaik:

It's actually the other top bit of the car park where the bottle banks are.

EDIT:My link to the view of the site from KCC planing system seems to keep disappearing, but if you go to the website and enter planning number 16919, you'll see the location.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!