conordarcy123 Registered User

Hey,

I am in my final year of a BA in Psychology and next March in Dublin I have decided to sit the GAMSAT. I finish my final exams mid May - thats when I plan on beginning to prep for the GAMSAT. I am interested in setting up a study group (Dublin or Kildare as I am willing to travel, I am based in Kildare) in order to bounce ideas off each other and share information and hopefully increase productivity for anyone in the area that is also thinking of sitting the same exam in 2017. If anyone is interested in joining me, you can PM me or comment below.

Maat Registered User

I am based in Dublin and would be interested. I am just finishing a Masters and have a limited science background so I am trying to teach myself chem and physics atm.

Lady is a tramp Registered User

I'm also considering sitting the GAMSAT in March 2017, I've only really started looking into it the past couple of days. I'm coming from a business background, but would have done Physics and Chemistry in the LC many many years ago!

Any idea when the closing date for applications is? And do most people do classes or just study by themselves?

Total newbie to all of this so would appreciate any info/advice from those more in the know!

Cymini Sectores Registered User

GAMSAT info can be found here https://gamsat.acer.edu.au/register/test-centres

If possible, do the exam in September 2016. Get the experience. You might do really well.

You would do well if you write 2 essays everyday under an hour. There are a list of topics to choose from in Gold Standard book or you can google to find topics.

I had no science background going into the exam but wrote a fine essay. I have now finished 2nd year.

Do the exam in September.

Maat Registered User

There is a Facebook study group formed for anyone thinking of studying for it. Currently there are four of us! If anyone else wants to join you are very welcome!

sReq | uTeK Registered User

Maat said:
There is a Facebook study group formed for anyone thinking of studying for it. Currently there are four of us! If anyone else wants to join you are very welcome!

Throw me the link in a pm.

Maat Registered User

sReq | uTeK said:
Throw me the link in a pm.

It's a closed group so if you want me to add you message me your account and I'll add you.

For anyone interested in joining we are hoping to meet in Dublin regularly but have yet to work out times etc!

pc11 Registered User

I strongly URGE people to register for the UK September sitting for practice. I really can't stress this enough. Don't put everything into Dublin in 2017.

Source: I did this and got a very good score (97th percentile)

1 person has thanked this post
pfannkuchen Registered User

Would also strongly recommend giving it a go in September. I sat it in March after 3 months of very part-time study and scored 58 so it's worth a try, even if just for the practice.

I've also noticed that Dublin has been added as a new venue for September so a trip to the UK isn't even required anymore!

hyoid Registered User

Just thought I'd chime in here with my own experience in case it could help anyone.

I sat the gamsat 3 times, first time in my last year of college where I got 51 points, second in UK last September where I received 58 points, and finally in March of this year where I achieved a score 61, which should secure me a place this September.

The science section was always what held me back as I come from a non-science background. What really helped me in this was going to a science tutor and running through the test papers with them. A lot of the time the questions did not actually require prior knowledge of science but just needed careful deconstruction.
Sometimes though you absolutely need to understand scientific concepts/formulas in order to succeed. The tutor really helped with this as did the Khan Academy website.

Of course the price of private lessons with a tutor can be prohibitive but if you are working as I was it is manageable. I think it's probably cheaper overall than the gold standard courses too, although I don't know much about them.

Anyways keep at it and good luck with your studies you guys!

Starfish25 Registered User

Hi all.

For the entry requirements to GEM:

Do you have to have LC chemistry?

As well as your 2:1 degree & GAMSAT results?

Thanks in advance (sorry if this is already clarified in forum, can't see it on this phone)

Lady is a tramp Registered User

Nope it's obviously an advantage for when you're sitting the GAMSATs, but it's not a requirement.

1 person has thanked this post
Starfish25 Registered User

Lady is a tramp said:
Nope it's obviously an advantage for when you're sitting the GAMSATs, but it's not a requirement.

Thank you

pfannkuchen said:
Would also strongly recommend giving it a go in September. I sat it in March after 3 months of very part-time study and scored 58 so it's worth a try, even if just for the practice.

I've also noticed that Dublin has been added as a new venue for September so a trip to the UK isn't even required anymore!

WOW that is MASSIVE

hyoid said:
Just thought I'd chime in here with my own experience in case it could help anyone.

I sat the gamsat 3 times, first time in my last year of college where I got 51 points, second in UK last September where I received 58 points, and finally in March of this year where I achieved a score 61, which should secure me a place this September.

The science section was always what held me back as I come from a non-science background. What really helped me in this was going to a science tutor and running through the test papers with them. A lot of the time the questions did not actually require prior knowledge of science but just needed careful deconstruction.
Sometimes though you absolutely need to understand scientific concepts/formulas in order to succeed. The tutor really helped with this as did the Khan Academy website.

Of course the price of private lessons with a tutor can be prohibitive but if you are working as I was it is manageable. I think it's probably cheaper overall than the gold standard courses too, although I don't know much about them.

Anyways keep at it and good luck with your studies you guys!

Same both as you, scoring a 60/60/39

My Science is just woeful, with the exception of Physics (A in Higher LC) I never did any in secondary school, now granted I did 2 weeks study for the GAMSAT and hadn't wrote an essay in a couple of years prior to the sitting but I think a 55 in the science section would have brought me up to a 58.

I might give it a go in September, However I think it would be just as a means of besting the exam itself. It would be hard for me to give up my job now with a wife and kids to support to go back to school for 4 years.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!