failinis Registered User

Welcome to the Film Photography thread.

Decided a spot for just film would be nice.

Inspired in a thread by Mountainsandh, and by this thread (which I would point digital posters towards).

Rules

• This thread is for any size of film and of any subject of photography.

• The work posted here must be your own work.

• Amateur and professionals welcome - this thread is for everyone of any level.

• Post one or two images then let another person post (unless the thread is quiet)

• Images must be no bigger than 800 otherwise it swamps the page (see below)

• Certain levels of chat is permitted, if it is on topic - no quoting of images, just link back to the post.
  • This is done by selected the post number on the upper right hand side and then copying that url.

• If you remember what camera and what film you used - please post as it may be useful to readers.

• If you have a problem with an image posted or a user do not start arguing just report the offending post(s).

How do I post an 800 size image?
Well I am sneakily redirecting you towards CabanSail's post found here.
You can post via Flickr, pix.ie, photo bucket and a few other sites online.
Some will link back to your account so people can check it out. If you do not want that just remove the link when posting.

What if I am entirely new to film and want to give it a go?
Here are some quick links for beginners
List of links on istillshootfilm - Good site which covers ISO, exposure, picking film, using dark rooms.
Crash course - contains videos of a guy talking your through, may prefer if you are auditory.
An infographic "cheat sheet".
Tips on picking a 35mm camera
Very good site for manuals for old cameras if you don't fancy scrolling just google "butkus" and the name on your camera and "manual" should help.
Not posted too much on darkrooms as I feel thats more for a person to start their own thread to ask questions.

There are plenty of resources online, you tube and forums if you need any help.
Have fun

13 people have thanked this post
failinis Registered User

This is from my first roll of film I ever shot, encouraged by my father who is a camera nut, and passed the strong (but amateur) interest in photo's to me.

Taken on: Nikon F401x
With:Ilford HP5 PLUS

8 people have thanked this post
DaireQuinlan Registered User

I'll toss a recent one in to get things started

Redstone

Shot this on a MJU I, it's some generic 'fuji 200', the stuff that was doing the rounds in pharmacies a while back for €1 a roll. I dev all my own C-41 in a Fuji Hunt C-41 kit I get periodically once I run through all the chems from the previous one.

10 people have thanked this post
dylbert Registered User

Great idea, this was my first attempt at film,

Pentax ME, Pentax 50mm f1.7, Lomography Lady Grey 400

F1000014a by dylan traynor, on Flickr

9 people have thanked this post
Adrian.Sadlier Registered User

Robyn by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

Great idea to have an analogue thread. There are some brilliant photographers on here who shoot film. This one was taken with a Nikon F5 and 50mm Nikon F/1.4G a couple of days ago. Film is Ilford PanF Plus (50 ISO) developed in Ilford HC (1:31) for 4 minutes then scanned on an Epson V750 flatbed scanner.

7 people have thanked this post

Harbour ladder by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

Same camera, same roll of film as the above!

9 people have thanked this post
amdgilmore Registered User

I like this idea. I haven't been shooting for quite a while, though, so I'll just post some oldies for now if that's ok.

First was shot with a Mamiya RB67 Pro S on Tri X 400. Second was taken with a Bronica SQ-A on Fomapan 100. Both developed in Rodinal 1:25.

29 people have thanked this post
failinis Registered User

From a test on a new camera - still getting used to it.

Taken with a Halina Pet with £1 shop film, think it was Vista Plus.
Walk by Elena Ní Dhoriadh, on Flickr

4 people have thanked this post
pete4130 Registered User

7 people have thanked this post
pete4130 Registered User

17 people have thanked this post
amdgilmore Registered User

Could we get some info to go with the photos? Even just the name of the film used would be useful...

2 people have thanked this post

Old Howth Lighthouse by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

Same roll of film - Ilford PanF plus 50 developed in Ilford HC 1:31.

(best viewed large)

thebaz Registered User

I started way back in the early 80's - my Grandmother gave me an Olypmus before I headed across the world - loved if for about 8 years - on/off - then stopped - Digital got me back - have a Nikon F80 , can be a bit bulky - here is one from New York a few years ago. Keep threatening to get my old scans done from way back, but I can still see a certain style even back then.

Punk Rocker by Barry Delaney, on Flickr

TomCo Registered User

Broken Cross

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm 1.8f
Kentmere 100 @ iso100
Developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 15mins..
Canoscan f4000us @ 4000dpi

Clambered over a fence and took a picture of this guy, pretty sure its the cross pictured here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinteely
Think I messing around with the exposure compensation dial.

3 people have thanked this post
TomCo Registered User

Adrian.Sadlier said:

Same roll of film - Ilford PanF plus 50 developed in Ilford HC 1:31.

Have you tried Rollei Retro 80s? Its very similar and a lot cheaper (think I got a 100ft roll for around 45)

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!