artanevilla Moderator

I know there's a thread on recommending Whiskeys/Whiskys but there's none on general tasting as far as I can see.

Similar premise to the beer thread, but we'll say month instead of week as drinking a €50/60 bottle of Whiskey/Whisky a week is probably not a good idea...

I picked up a bottle of The Glenlivet Master Distillers Reserve on my travels recently. No age statement.

Not the most complex Whisky in the world. It's quite nice though, smooth and fruity, very strong taste of pears, and a tiny bit of spice. Drank with a splash of water.

1 person has thanked this post
dos29 Registered User

Currently on a Powers 3 Swallows buzz, think it's beautiful.
Might personally be closer to the week than the month mark myself unfortunately!
Dipping into Jameson black barrel as well though.

L1011 Moderator

Have only bought two bottles since Christmas as I went a bit mad beforehand but as my bottle bin is starting to look a tribute to Fr Jack I'll have to start again soon.

The two were a replacement Black Bush for the conventional drinking shelf and a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel which is exceptional for what it is - not exceptionally dear, 51.4% and Japanese.

Also in the "to be finished" pile is a bottle of Laphroig QA which is interesting - has all the front punch of Laphroig but none of the later tastes really. Probably due to being rather young.

artanevilla Moderator

L1011 said:
Have only bought two bottles since Christmas as I went a bit mad beforehand but as my bottle bin is starting to look a tribute to Fr Jack I'll have to start again soon.

The two were a replacement Black Bush for the conventional drinking shelf and a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel which is exceptional for what it is - not exceptionally dear, 51.4% and Japanese.

Also in the "to be finished" pile is a bottle of Laphroig QA which is interesting - has all the front punch of Laphroig but none of the later tastes really. Probably due to being rather young.

I keep picking up the Nikka everytime I'm in the airport and then putting it back down. Must get it next time.

Bogsnorkler Registered User

Been focusing on the low end of the market recently. NAS Tyrconnel is not a patch on the 10 yo stuff, very grassy and young.

Crested Ten is going for 28 euro in Tesco right now, picked up a bottle. For me it is serious value for money, particular relative to a lot of the pot still brands Jameson are pushing at the moment.

Speaking of which I got a gift pack of mini bottles of Redbrest12, Green Spot, Powers Johns Lane and Midelton Barry Crockett. Having never had the Johns Lane or Crockett, I was impressed by the Powers and dissappointed by the Midelton.

Redbrest was the pick still, and would be my go to in that price range (although the Powers JL is a great spicy whiskey, and very different to redbreast).

jester77 Registered User

Switching between a Laphroaig 18 and Lagavulin 16, as well as a Highland Park 18 and a Hibiki Harmony blend. Want to pick up something from a sherry cask this month (maybe a Balvenie 15). Picked up a Teeling single malt last week, but I haven't opened it yet.

RasTa Registered User

Heading to Japan in 6 weeks or so. What should I be bringing back?

jester77 Registered User

RasTa said:
Heading to Japan in 6 weeks or so. What should I be bringing back?

I had a bottle of Nikka Taketsuru 17 before the xmas, one of the nicest whiskeys I've had in a long time. Can recommend that if you can find it.

am half way through a bottle of Tomatin 12yr.
someone regifted it to me at the christmas house party.

Extremly smooth, prob due to sherry finishing, gorgeous spice aftertaste.

Highly recommended, (especially if you can get it for free!!!! )

Slattsy Registered User

Picked up the Teelings Single Malt recently.

It is nice, just not sure it deserves the hype its been getting.

For in or around the same price you can get Green Spot / Redbreast 12 / Powers John Lane which in my eyes all 3 blows the Teeling out of the water.

2 people have thanked this post
Geuze Registered User

Bogsnorkler said:

Crested Ten is going for 28 euro in Tesco right now, picked up a bottle. For me it is serious value for money, particular relative to a lot of the pot still brands Jameson are pushing at the moment.

I agree.

CT is a great whiskey for the price.

I pay 4.00 in pubs.

It was 30 in DS at Xmas, so 24 after vouchers. Great deal.

jester77 Registered User

Slattsy said:
Picked up the Teelings Single Malt recently.

It is nice, just not sure it deserves the hype its been getting.

For in or around the same price you can get Green Spot / Redbreast 12 / Powers John Lane which in my eyes all 3 blows the Teeling out of the water.

I tried it for the first time this weekend. It grew on me, slightly too sweet for my liking.

brinty Registered User

Going between
Teelings single malt
Jameson black barrel
Green spot

Have to get into scotch yet, have been told to try some speysides

Have unopened Jim Beam and Jim Beam maple too but I'll leave then be for now

Slattsy Registered User

Try a Glendronach. Lovely scotch to start off with imo.

cd07 Registered User

Loving the greenspot at the moment and for something a wee bit different iv been having the odd talisker 10 year, very peaty but i like the different contrast

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!