Damien King Registered User

Hi all, just picked one of these up friday and had a quick mess around with the included rasbipan operating system. Have retropie installed on another sd card and had a little look but am going to hold off doing anything more until i get a proper 2.1 v power supply. I couldnt transer media via the usb method so methinks the 0.5v charger im using isnt helping matters either.

Goes without saying that this has been bought with retro gaming in mind so just wandering what is working out well for everyone?

Any pitfalls to watch out for?

1 person has thanked this post
CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

Well, I've just spent 3 hours trying to set the thing up!
A pain in the backside getting Retropie going!

Well, I've just spent 3 hours trying to set the thing up!
A pain in the backside getting Retropie going!

Steve X2 Moderator

Older versions of retropie had a bug that killed USB transfer after 30 seconds or so, fixed in 3.5.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/releases

So, grab the sd card image, burn it to sd, ftp over the roms and happy days

So its not just me having that problem then? I saw the newer version with the bugfix was released over the weekend...at work now but will get stuck in this week, i'll keep you posted

thanks for replies folks

Dr Bob Moderator

I've a few dead old consoles/computers at home so ..
Stuck mine in an old c64 breadbox and used a keyah adaptor to hook up the c64's keyboard and joystick ports on it fantastic for running commodore stuff but ..running ps1 games on a breadbin c64 is kind of weird mind you.
I've a NES and a Megadrive simiilarly set up with a Pi 1b ,al running retropi tbh I was half thinking of sticking those 2 up on adverts (minus the games and with appopriate usb NES and meg controllers ) .

6 people have thanked this post

Does Raiden DX work on it yet?
I am shocked that there is such choice

A whole bunch of Mame editions.
A couple of Final Burn ones,
All reading from the same dir.

Steve X2 Moderator

You can see how I put my c64 raspberry pi machine together below. Although, the most fun stuff I've done on the Pi is not retro related at all, so not suited to this forum.

http://www.retrovia.ie/showthread.php/42471-Commodore-64-Raspberry-Pi-Mod-(The-Purple-Nurple)

9 people have thanked this post

Dr Bob said:
I've a few dead old consoles/computers at home so ..
Stuck mine in an old c64 breadbox and used a keyah adaptor to hook up the c64's keyboard and joystick ports on it fantastic for running commodore stuff but ..running ps1 games on a breadbin c64 is kind of weird mind you.
I've a NES and a Megadrive simiilarly set up with a Pi 1b ,al running retropi tbh I was half thinking of sticking those 2 up on adverts (minus the games and with appopriate usb NES and meg controllers ) .

I was thinking of gutting out an old console and doing something similar but have decided to make a little 80's style box from scratch and compliment it with 2 joysticks with full size arcade sticks and buttons. will make a nice change to build something small...

Thargor Registered User

So the Pi2 is a viable candidate for a retro box loaded with everything from 2600 to PS1 under the tv? My 360 is set up the same way but I never play retro on it, doesn't feel right.

If I gutted my old C64 like Dr Bob though...

Super_Sonic Registered User

Yeah I'm happy with it.

Bought it along with a heatsink and black case from Ali Express for under €40 delivered.

Have 2 Playstation style pads configured on it with USB extenders so I can hide behind the TV and sit on the couch with the joypads.

I have it emulating Megadrive, Sega CD, SNES, N64 and PS1 without issue. Had to switch the N64 emulator to get Mario Kart 64 working correctly but everything seems fine. It can emulate so much.

I would highly recommend it.

Attachments
Pi2.jpg
The Last Bandit Registered User

All my Pi's (B+, 2, Zero) are doing the same job these days - taking up space in a drawer, at least they're not alone as there are a couple of ARM devkits to keep them company

crasy dash Registered User

Hi guys hope you don't mind but have one of these as well in a drawer at home.

What's the easiest way of adding a on off switch to power it down properly looked before but got confused hence its in the drawer.

Thanks guys

eddhorse Registered User

Here ya go : Simple Raspberry Pi Shutdown Button
http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Raspberry-Pi-Shutdown-Button/

Obviously you would add a proper button rather than the piece of wire.

crasy dash Registered User

Cheers for that link

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!