minkey Registered User

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has thought on this area

Have looked at these houses and they look to be of very good build quality, the interior is lovely and the BER is very good. Prices seem reasonable for the location . I have smallish children and would have a concern about them living in a dense area so close to water, but then again it not like you can really let them outside unsupervised anywhere else in D7 unless you have a decent back garden . I took a walk up there the other day and noticed a well known Dublin "Diner" (not ERs ..I wish)...Chipper is going to open soon. I would not mind so much but it has a very tacky signage . Just wondering if anyone has bought here or is thinking about it , any tips or advice on the area for anyone living there already

Thanks

Black_Knight I speak fluent sarcasm

minkey said:
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has thought on this area

Have looked at these houses and they look to be of very good build quality, the interior is lovely and the BER is very good. Prices seem reasonable for the location . I have smallish children and would have a concern about them living in a dense area so close to water, but then again it not like you can really let them outside unsupervised anywhere else in D7 unless you have a decent back garden . I took a walk up there the other day and noticed a well known Dublin "Diner" (not ERs ..I wish)...Chipper is going to open soon. I would not mind so much but it has a very tacky signage . Just wondering if anyone has bought here or is thinking about it , any tips or advice on the area for anyone living there already

Thanks

Suss out TV and Broadband providers anyways. Loads of problems in the Ashtown region where broadband/TV providers are limited, and empty promises handed out about opening up to UPC or Sky. Alot of the existing apartments use storage/electric heaters. I'd avoid these like the plague, if thats what they have in store for the new Royal Canal Park builds.

As for the area, I've previously lived in Ashtown (right in the village) and in pelletstown manor which is at the Royal Canal Park end of Ashtown. Royal Canal Park itself never appealed to me, as it was just a bit remote, no real shops and lacked any sort of a community. Its a commuter area in every sense (no cafe, restaurant, parks, pubs etc). All the above, coupled with Broombridge being your local train station would put me off living there (station is consistently vandalised).

1 person has thanked this post
PhoenixParker Registered User

We're looking at it too and think we'll be going for it.

Live in Ashtown at the moment and agree with some of what Blackknight says but think the addition of the new houses at the Royal Canal Park end will help to make a big difference there. It's a bit of a gamble on the future, and the last purchasers in RCP got a bit screwed by the same gamble, but nevertheless . . .

Broombridge does suck as a station at the moment but the Luas will be there in less than two years (they're building it at the moment, otherwise I wouldn't count on it), which means including a 15 minute walk it'll be 25 minutes to O'Connell St, or 36 minutes to Stephens Green. It's also 10 minutes from the M50, so for any future job moves, I feel like we're well covered.

Parks wise, there's a new park going in as part of the development which is included in the local area development plan (less likely to disappear when the builders decide they want to build on it), it's also next to the canal and it's very close to the Tolka River Valley park which I love but no one else seems to know exists. There's also a new access point going into the Tolka River Valley Park from the new park which helps. They seem to have started the landscaping for that on river road so there's good hope it'll actually happen.

Shops and businesses wise. There's a centra & creche already which is close to Phase 1 and Phase 2. There is a village centre there where no business has ever really managed to set up (except the about to open take away). With the new houses in this development plus the other planned developments in the area I think there's some chance of that improving. As it is, we tend to stop in SuperValu Ashtown on the way home (driving) anyway, so it's not a total dealbreaker if it doesn't happen.

Schools wise, the Pelletstown educate together has started and is at junior infants level. They've no proper building yet, but at least it exists as a school. A site is identified but no planning permission in. Being pessimistic, I'd say there's a 50% chance that it'll be 10 years before a school is built but my sisters were in a similar situation in primary school and it seemed to work ok. The proposed location is a 10 minute walk from Phase 1 & Phase 2, current location (beside SuperValu) is a bit more awkward but still manageable.

There's a few other developments slated for the area that pique my interest but which I don't count on - the new train station at Royal Canal Park itself. This is apparently at design stage, and will include a footbridge to Ashington. If it happens, it'll make Tesco Cabra, the Cabra Library and all the bus routes on the Navan road 15 minutes walk. There's also a plan to build a proper cycle route along the whole royal canal, which would make the journey to town very convenient.

Overall for the location and price I think it's a good buy.

onclephil Registered User

We've just finished making a deposit for one of the 3 beds.
I think the previous poster did sum it up quite well, the only real gamble is the neighbourhood itself but that being said RCP checked all the other boxes for us (size, efficiency, pricing, no refurbishment needed, train accessibility and close enough to town center.).
If you're going for it though, be mindful of 2 things: flooring is not included and the 4 bed show-house roof looks a bit dodge if you pay close attention...
The next phase is going on sale quite soon (if not already) but last time I checked a couple of 4 beds are still available from previous phases.

pasquale83 Registered User

Sorry Folks, just started following and still have to go through the whole thread. Are there also new apartments in the development?

There will be apartments but only as part of the final (or nearly final) phase.
At the moment it's just houses.

The total on the planning permission is 152 houses and 91 apartments.

pasquale83 Registered User

PhoenixParker said:
There will be apartments but only as part of the final (or nearly final) phase.
At the moment it's just houses.

The total on the planning permission is 152 houses and 91 apartments.

That's a good news, thanks! Do you have any link where to find such infos?

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

Search for Planning Reference 3069/14

The location of the blocks is easily visible here - http://royalcanalpark.com/site-plan/ but no details.

Simona1986 Registered User

onclephil said:

If you're going for it though, be mindful of 2 things: flooring is not included and the 4 bed show-house roof looks a bit dodge if you pay close attention...

How so?

Tiles gone missing or coming off...probably not nailed, no overhang on the front which feels weird to me... But I suppose it's nothing major and there are probably good reasons for it.

kceire Moderator

onclephil said:
I think the previous poster did sum it up quite well, the only real gamble is the neighbourhood itself but that being said RCP checked all the other boxes for us (size, efficiency, pricing, no refurbishment needed, train accessibility and close enough to town center.).
The next phase is going on sale quite soon (if not already) but last time I checked a couple of 4 beds are still available from previous phases.

Flooring would not be included in 99.9% of new developments in this country. Back in the 'olden' days you got tiling allowances etc but not anymore.

The winds we have had over the Kat few days were strong. Even well established estates have had damage to tiles, in my own estate I've seen a few smashed tiles on the road this morning.

addrian Registered User

onclephil said:
I think the previous poster did sum it up quite well, the only real gamble is the neighbourhood itself but that being said RCP checked all the other boxes for us (size, efficiency, pricing, no refurbishment needed, train accessibility and close enough to town center.)

Is your house part of Phase 1? The agents told us that first houses should be ready sometime in February. I am really interested about the quality of the work there.

Nope, ours is on Phase 2, delivery end-of-march/April.

tomfoolery60 Registered User

Anyone know what the plans are for this development regarding future phases (when they are launching and what mix will be available)?

Might be in the position in about a year/towards the end of the year all going to plan to buy and like the look of the area. Would be considering a 3 bed. Afraid to contact the agent as I don't want to get spammed!

fret_wimp2 Registered User

tomfoolery60 said:
Anyone know what the plans are for this development regarding future phases (when they are launching and what mix will be available)?

Might be in the position in about a year/towards the end of the year all going to plan to buy and like the look of the area. Would be considering a 3 bed. Afraid to contact the agent as I don't want to get spammed!

no worry about that. they dont reply to calls or emails and if you're not mortgage approved you get a polite lie of "we will be in touch regarding one of the future developments in this area".

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!