pinkypinky Moderator

Just a last minute promotion: new term of my beginner's class starts tomorrow night in Malahide Community School. You can enrol online here: http://malahidecsadulted.ie/irish-genealogy/

pinkypinky Moderator

Everyone knows about the Cork Genealogical Society's one day conference next Saturday right?

Let me know if anyone round here will be there. Impromptu boards meetup possible!

Meursault Registered User

pinkypinky said:
Everyone knows about the Cork Genealogical Society's one day conference next Saturday right?

Let me know if anyone round here will be there. Impromptu boards meetup possible!

Hi pinkypinky,

have you attended these events before? is it worth attending? do they provide access to records at the events?

i havent attended these before, but i would be interested to know exactly what to expect from it.

i have been trying to put together a family tree. my parents have little or no knowledge of their family, beyond their own parents. i have been trying to access some records online but they are all fee paying and again i am not sure whether they are any good.

any advice would be great.

thanks

pinkypinky Moderator

All the details of CGS's conference are on the link I posted. It's not an event where there will be free access to records. There'll be several lectures and some stands of genealogy organisations, but not the big commercials. I think they are worth attending. I've heard most of these lecturers speak before and they're all experts.

Also read our beginner's sticky for lots of advice.

Hermy Registered User

Meursault said:
...i have been trying to put together a family tree. my parents have little or no knowledge of their family, beyond their own parents. i have been trying to access some records online but they are all fee paying and again i am not sure whether they are any good...

Why not start a new thread giving some details of what you know and what you're trying to find out and I'm sure one of us will be able to point you in the right direction.

Meursault Registered User

Hermy said:
Why not start a new thread giving some details of what you know and what you're trying to find out and I'm sure one of us will be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks all for the advice. I am in the middle of trying to gather as much details as possible first and then i might look for further advice.

I recently did the DNA test with Ancestry.com. interesting results and it automatically connected me to 2nd - 6th cousins. those dna tests are incredible.

1 person has thanked this post
spurious Category Moderator

Meursault said:

I recently did the DNA test with Ancestry.com. interesting results and it automatically connected me to 2nd - 6th cousins. those dna tests are incredible.

Don't forget to upload your raw DNA to gedmatch.com to match with people who took the test with other companies.
There is also an Irish DNA Registry group on Facebook as well as multiple 'county' DNA groups.

cobham Registered User

I have just received results from 23&me but I cannot see where to proceed to create a GEDCOM to enable information to be exported to Gedmatch site.

pinkypinky Moderator

cobham said:
I have just received results from 23&me but I cannot see where to proceed to create a GEDCOM to enable information to be exported to Gedmatch site.

Please keep the DNA postsfor that thread. This one is just for events.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!