Csalem Registered User
#256

It is 1982 and there are no Luas trams in sight. Instead D 59 is seen on Parnell Street with a 40A to Cappagh Hospital. D 59 was delivered new to Ringsend in 1967. In 1971 it transferred to Phibsborough were it remained until it was withdrawn in December 1982. The bus was finally sold for scrap in 1984. D 1 to D 217 were delivered as single door buses, while the remainder of these type of Atlanteans were delivered as dual-door buses.
The 40A was part of the 40 family routes that served Finglas and the areas around it. The route ceased to run in November 2011 when it was merged with the 40 as part of the Network Direct review of the bus network.
With the 40 becoming a cross-city route, the 40B and 40D are the only routes (along with the 120) to terminate on Parnell Street, but on the opposite side of the road to where D 59 is in the photo. The location in the photo is now a tram stop on the Luas Cross City. Parnell Street, 30/08/1982

Throwback Thursday (138) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

12 people have thanked this post
Csalem Registered User
#257

This week we are only going back to 1998, but we are at the western extremes of the Dublin Bus network. RA 312 is seen in Maynooth (Co.Kildare) at the 67A terminus. The main 67 route ran between Dublin and Celbridge with a few extensions west to Maynooth, which operated as the 67A. Under Network Direct in November 2010, the 67 and 67A were combined and all departures on the 67 ran to Maynooth via Celbridge. Maynooth is also served by route 66 which had services to the town of Kilcock, further west than Maynooth. However Network Direct in 2010 also removed those workings and both the 66 and 67 now terminate in Maynooth.
RA 312 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1996. It was withdrawn by Dublin Bus in 2008 and then bought by Warrington Borough Transport. It remained in service with them until at least 2014.
The ad on the side is for Eircell, which was Eircom's mobile phone network. It was subsequently sold to Vodafone. Maynooth, 07/09/1998

Throwback Thursday (139) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

11 people have thanked this post
Csalem Registered User
#258

It is 1996 and another all-over ad of a train on a bus. RH 90 is seen at the terminus of the 8 on Burgh Quay. The bus is in an all-over ad for Fastrack. This was the express parcel service initially operated by CIE and later Iarnrod Eireann The bus was painted to mark the 21st anniversary of the express parcel service in 1995. The concept was simple - the express passenger trains had guard vans which could had empty space that could transport items from one part of the country to another. However with the arrival of railcars in 2007 the number of guard vans on the network reduced until only the Cork and Belfast line remained. In 2009 the service was finally ended, after 35 years.
RH 90 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in 1991 and worked from Donnybrook Garage. After withdrawal it eventually ended up with the Crann Support Group in Meath after spending six months in the UK..
Route 8 connected Dalkey with Dublin City Centre until November 2016 when the route was withdrawn.
Finally beside the bus can be seen Lafayette Photography, known to many for college graduation photographs, and behind the bus is The Irish Press.
14/09/1996

Throwback Thursday (140) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

8 people have thanked this post
Csalem Registered User
#259

A slightly different Throwback Thursday this time were the bus is not really the primary interest in the photo but rather the background is.
D 533 is seen on Tara Street and is not operating a route. It was delivered new to Phibsboro Garage in 1973 and was withdrawn in 1991. Like a lot of buses in 1988, this has received the Dublin Millennium badge alongside the company name on the side of the bus. Apart from that there is not a lot else to say about the bus.
So why is the background more interesting? Behind the bus is Apollo House. This was built in 1969 and was one of three buildings in the area that were of a similar style. Hawkins House from 1962 and College House from 1974 being the other two. Collectively all three are regarded as some of the worse looking buildings in Dublin. With all three being eight storeys or over, they did dominate the skyline. During the 2000s Apollo House was sold and lay empty for a while. Plans existed for a long time to demolish and redevelop all three buildings but the 2008 recession delayed those plans. Before Christmas 2016 Apollo House was taken over by activists to house some homeless people and to highlight the crisis affecting the country. By early 2017 they were gone and the building was empty again. Finally 2018 demolition began and by August of that year the site was completely flattened. Around the same time Hawkins House was emptied and work began on College House. It seems after all of these decades, the redevelopment is finally happening. 21/09/1988

Throwback Thursday (141) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

13 people have thanked this post
Csalem Registered User
#260

It is 1986 and just under five months to the creation of Dublin Bus, yet some buses are green. KD 20 is seen on Marlborough Street at the 44A lay-over. The bus was delivered new to Dublin in 1981. Built by Bombardier in Shannon, the KD class were delivered in a two-tone green livery, as were the single decker version - the KCs. Buses prior to this were delivered in a tan livery and the green livery was later adapted by the new Dublin Bus in 1987. KD 20 had a long career in Dublin, later joining the Training School and being used there up until at least 1999, and possibly into the early 2000s.
KD 20 has the registration 20 JZL. This was the second KD to carry this registration. The first bus was a demonstrator built with a Rolls Royce engine and given the registration as a temporary measure. That bus was subsequently bought by CIE and became KD 191 in Cork.
Route 44A connected the City Centre with Mount Prospect Avenue in Clontarf. the new route 130 that commenced in the mid-1990s absorbed the old routes 30 and 44A and used minibuses under the City Imp brand. Worth noting that the 44A had nothing to do with the 44 to Enniskerry.
In 2017 this location on Marlborough Street became a tram stop on the Luas Green Line. 29/09/1986

Throwback Thursday (142) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

14 people have thanked this post
Csalem Registered User
#261

It is a trip back to 1999 and Celtic Tiger Ireland, where anything was possible. AD 54 is seen in Parnell Square on the Icon Shuttle. The Icon Centre was opened by Bailey's in Leopardstown Racecourse in April 1999. It was designed to be a tourist attraction in the same vein as the Guinness Storehouse and Jameson Distillery. However, it was far less successful than either of those two. When it closed in 2001 it was attracting 80,000 visitors a year against a target of 200,000. Dublin Bus were contracted to run an hourly shuttle between the city centre and Leopardstown, which had a journey time of 45 minutes.
AD 53 and AD 54 were the two buses dedicated to the route. Both buses were delivered to Dublin Bus in 1994 and operated out of Donnybrook Garage. Both buses lost the Icon wrap around November 2000 and returned to the core Dublin Bus livery.
Parnell Square, 04/10/1999

Throwback Thursday (143) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

10 people have thanked this post
BonnieSituation Registered User
#262

Csalem said:
It is 1986 and just under five months to the creation of Dublin Bus, yet some buses are green. KD 20 is seen on Marlborough Street at the 44A lay-over. The bus was delivered new to Dublin in 1981. Built by Bombardier in Shannon, the KD class were delivered in a two-tone green livery, as were the single decker version - the KCs. Buses prior to this were delivered in a tan livery and the green livery was later adapted by the new Dublin Bus in 1987. KD 20 had a long career in Dublin, later joining the Training School and being used there up until at least 1999, and possibly into the early 2000s.
KD 20 has the registration 20 JZL. This was the second KD to carry this registration. The first bus was a demonstrator built with a Rolls Royce engine and given the registration as a temporary measure. That bus was subsequently bought by CIE and became KD 191 in Cork.
Route 44A connected the City Centre with Mount Prospect Avenue in Clontarf. the new route 130 that commenced in the mid-1990s absorbed the old routes 30 and 44A and used minibuses under the City Imp brand. Worth noting that the 44A had nothing to do with the 44 to Enniskerry.
In 2017 this location on Marlborough Street became a tram stop on the Luas Green Line. 29/09/1986

Throwback Thursday (142) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr


That's an interesting tidbit. Any reason for the numbering so?

Reminds me of the oddities of the 17, 17A and the 51, 51A, 51B and the 51D

Anyone know what was going on here?

1 person has thanked this post
Csalem Registered User
#263

BonnieSituation said:
That's an interesting tidbit. Any reason for the numbering so?

Reminds me of the oddities of the 17, 17A and the 51, 51A, 51B and the 51D

Anyone know what was going on here?


The person in charge at the time just wanted to fill in gaps in the numbering system which is how 44A and 51A came about. The 17 and 17A were meant to be part of an orbital network I believe, either the two routes were going to meet or a third 17 was going to connect the two.

1 person has thanked this post
Csalem Registered User
#264

It is 1999 and Dublin Bus are trying out a demonstrator bus. But first some context. In 1997 five single deckers (VL 1-5) were delivered to Dublin Bus, being the first full-length low floor buses in the fleet. The following year VL 6 arrived as a demonstrator which was run on natural gas and painted in a special Bord Gais livery. All of these buses operated on routes 1,2 and 3 which operated between Larkhill, City Centre, Ringsend and Sandymount.
In 1999 this second demonstrator arrived from the UK and was put briefly onto these routes too. The bus was built in 1997 and operated on liquefied petroleum gas. Hence why in the UK it had as its registration "P10 LPG". As a demonstrator it was operated by a number of bus operators in the UK too. Eventually the bus was converted to a standard diesel bus and was sold to Arriva, operating in the north of England for most of its career. It remained in service until withdrawn in 2013.
It is worth noting that Larkill is misspelled on the destination - the h is missing. At least it got the route number correct. It is also worth noting the slightly shorter than usual bus stop, although this was later replaced with a standard one.
All in all, this was one of the more unusual buses operated by Dublin Bus for a brief period.
Ringsend 11/10/18

Throwback Thursday (144) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

8 people have thanked this post
Losty Dublin Registered User
#265

I was on this bus a few times, and it wasn't at all comfortable to be in. The VL class weren't too bad to be fair to them but this, nah.


Csalem said:
It is 1999 and Dublin Bus are trying out a demonstrator bus. But first some context. In 1997 five single deckers (VL 1-5) were delivered to Dublin Bus, being the first full-length low floor buses in the fleet. The following year VL 6 arrived as a demonstrator which was run on natural gas and painted in a special Bord Gais livery. All of these buses operated on routes 1,2 and 3 which operated between Larkhill, City Centre, Ringsend and Sandymount.
In 1999 this second demonstrator arrived from the UK and was put briefly onto these routes too. The bus was built in 1997 and operated on liquefied petroleum gas. Hence why in the UK it had as its registration "P10 LPG". As a demonstrator it was operated by a number of bus operators in the UK too. Eventually the bus was converted to a standard diesel bus and was sold to Arriva, operating in the north of England for most of its career. It remained in service until withdrawn in 2013.

1 person has thanked this post
Losty Dublin Registered User
#266

Csalem said:
The person in charge at the time just wanted to fill in gaps in the numbering system which is how 44A and 51A came about. The 17 and 17A were meant to be part of an orbital network I believe, either the two routes were going to meet or a third 17 was going to connect the two.


I had to dig into my old Garaiste account to clarify these for us all.

Original route 17 was pretty much what we now know as the 16 (Save for the Airport/Santry section), with 16 being a designated short working between Griffith Avenue and Cormac Terrace.

What we now know as the 17 was to have been a new orbital route that was to have run from Rialto to Walkinstown, Templeouge, Nutgrove and onwards to Dundrum and Blackrock. It took on the Bangor Road, Crumlim and Kimmage section of route 82 when it was cancelled in 1970. Apparently 17 and 17A were to have linked up at some stage; how exactly that would have happened is another story.

51A was a short working of what became the 60. Both individual routes were introduced and renamed by the State approved DUTC in 1936, and have no relation to the Clondalkin 51. At the time new higher numbers were allocated to northside routes.

The Clontarf 44A was a route that actually predated current Route 44. Originally it ran between Castle Avenue and Bath Avenue. Again the DUTC fiddled with it's number again in 1936, giving the Wicklow route 44, retaining the 44A and curtailing it to just northside service and introducing a new route for Bath Avenue, the 52.

2 people have thanked this post
Cookie_Monster Registered User
#267

Csalem said:
It is 1999 and Dublin Bus are trying out a demonstrator bus. But first some context. In 1997 five single deckers (VL 1-5) were delivered to Dublin Bus, being the first full-length low floor buses in the fleet. The following year VL 6 arrived as a demonstrator which was run on natural gas and painted in a special Bord Gais livery. All of these buses operated on routes 1,2 and 3 which operated between Larkhill, City Centre, Ringsend and Sandymount.


111, 59 and even 45a also, maybe not initially but I remember these buses well, the always sounded like the were about to rattle themselves apart at any moment

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!