Csalem Registered User

Stephen15 said:
The first low floor bus DB got was the single decker VL class. I remember they used to have them on the 3 including a natural gas bus. They were then put on the 111 and the short lived 59a always an interesting looking bus with their green grabrails don't think they were reliable either.

The W Class from 1994 predate the VLs as lowfloor wheelchair accessible buses:
Scan W 3 by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

2 people have thanked this post
Stephen15 Registered User

Csalem said:
The W Class from 1994 predate the VLs as lowfloor wheelchair accessible buses:
Scan W 3 by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Forgot about them but were they not just on trial with DB rather in full service?

Csalem Registered User

Stephen15 said:
Forgot about them but were they not just on trial with DB rather in full service?

They were definitely in full service. They started on the 222 before moving to the 300. They were withdrawn in 2000. On the other hand, the Natural Gas VL was a trial bus which as far as I can remember had a much shorter life with the company.

Csalem said:
They were definitely in full service. They started on the 222 before moving to the 300. They were withdrawn in 2000. On the other hand, the Natural Gas VL was a trial bus which as far as I can remember had a much shorter life with the company.

They didn't last long at all any reason for their premature withdrawal. The VLs didnt last very long either I think they were only withdrawn in 2006 or 2007 so probably only they lasted 10 years in service.

john boye Registered User

Stephen15 said:
They didn't last long at all any reason for their premature withdrawal. The VLs didnt last very long either I think they were only withdrawn in 2006 or 2007 so probably only they lasted 10 years in service.

Most of the VLs actually ploughed on until 2009. Amazing really considering they spent their last 4 or 5 years in a sort of permanent pergatory, seemingly about to be withdrawn any day.

john boye said:
Most of the VLs actually ploughed on until 2009. Amazing really considering they spent their last 4 or 5 years in a sort of permanent pergatory, seemingly about to be withdrawn any day.

I didn't they lasted that long

Csalem Registered User

What a difference three years makes. SG 96 is seen on Hawkins Street with a 15 from Clongriffin to Ballycullen Road. Ths bus route still uses this road but shares the road space here with the Luas Green Line. The tram extension opened in December 2017 connecting Broombridge on the northside to Brides Glen on the southside.
The Screen Cinema is seen beside the bus with an ad for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. The cinema opened in 1972 but closed in 2016 under plans to redevelop this area. Currently it is in a partially demolished state though could be fully gone by the end of 2018. This week in 2018 the sixth Mission Impossible film (Fallout) was released. In the background is Hawkins House. This was built in 1962 and housed the Department of Health. Like the cinema, this building is due to be demolished and replaced. These plans progressed by the end of July 2018 with the Department relocating to Baggot Street.
Finally SG 96 was delivered new to Dublin Bus in the latter half of 2015. In 2018 this bus is due to transfer to Go-Ahead Ireland in 2018 for when they take over 10% of bus routes in the Greater Dublin Area. A lot of change in three years. 01/08/2015

Throwback Thursday (134) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

9 people have thanked this post
Csalem Registered User

It is 1995 and KD 8 is reaching for the heights at Connolly Station. The bus is seen on the road approach to the station entrance. This was high above Amiens Street and the road approach was known colloquially as "The Ramp". For many years both sides were lined with buses laying over between duties. Both Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann. In 2003 it was removed and the ground leveled to make way for the tram stop on the Luas Red Line.
KD 8 is one of those buses using The Ramp as a parking area. It is displaying route 42 which connects the City Centre with Malahide and Portmarnock.
KD 8 entered service between 1981 and 1982 and was based in Clontarf Garage. 08/08/1995

Throwback Thursday (135) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

10 people have thanked this post
whiskeyman Registered User

^^ that type of bus reminds me of my childhood.
I can almost smell the fumes sitting at the back!

Glad I stumbled on this thread. Great work!

4 people have thanked this post
BonnieSituation Registered User

whiskeyman said:
^^ that type of bus reminds me of my childhood.
I can almost smell the fumes sitting at the back!

Glad I stumbled on this thread. Great work!

Even if you're not a bus nerd or transport nerd, this thread is gold for old photos of Dublin and elsewhere. By far my favourite thread on boards.

Csalem Registered User

It is 1983 and KD 313 is at the northern extreme of the Dublin City Services network.At the time the bus was brand new, having been delivered to Summerhill Garage during 1983.
It is seen at the terminus of tne 33 in Balbriggan. This town in north County Dublin was the furthest north the buses of Dubiln City Services went. It is also still the furthest north Dublin Bus go, and by the end of the year the furthest north Go-Ahead will serve. The bus stop here is shared with the bus route between Drogheda and Dublin,providing a connection between the two services.
In 1983 the 33 terminus was outside the Bank of Ireland as seen here. Within a few years the bus terminated on the other side of the road. By the late-1990s/early-2000s the terminus had relocated further south along this road, outside Balbriggan Church where it still terminates today.
The Bank of Ireland is still in this location but has been completely rebuilt in the intervening years. 14/08/1983

Throwback Thursday (136) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

BonnieSituation Registered User

I love that it has an ad on it for Ulster while outside a BOI

6 people have thanked this post
tnegun Registered User

Also that must be a very short woman boarding!!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!