swimming in a sea Registered User

Any opinions on this, I've got 8000 gold circle points and Aer Lingus have given me the option of spending them on BT or Arnotts gift card, so I'd get a €400 gift card. I was thinking of doing it as I don't ever seem to see a good deal to book flights with the points, i earn the points through work and for the 3 personal flights I've had this year Ryanair have been the cheapest.

But my suspicious mind wonders why Aer lingus offer the gift card, has anybody found a really good way of using their points?

1 person has thanked this post
xabi Registered User

I used mine to get a BT gift card, around 500 Euro. It was either use them or lose them.

irlrobins Registered User

Faced a similar issue a number of years back. Couldn't spend my points on free flights no matter how hard I tried. I even rang them up and asked if they had any random free flight to any random destination available and they said no. GC is a joke compared to other FF programs. Cashing them in for BT Vouchers is the best outcome. Used mine to buy a nice set of Samsonite Luggage.

Tenger Moderator

irlrobins said:
Faced a similar issue a number of years back. ..................................... GC is a joke compared to other FF programs. Cashing them in for BT Vouchers is the best outcome. Used mine to buy a nice set of Samsonite Luggage.

Nice deal for yourself.

With the Gold Circle program soon to be ended and replaced by AerClub it might be interesting to see if you must use existing GC points or can you convert them to Avio's to use with AerClub.

elastico Banned

Is there any point in joining these schemes?

Suppose I book British Airways Shannon to LA, price is €XXX

If I go on kayak.com for example there is always some random airline / online travel agent option which comes in way less than booking directly with British Airways, often putting you on a BA flight but somebody else sold the ticket, so I don't think you can claim any points (or can you)

swimming in a sea Registered User

elastico said:
Is there any point in joining these schemes?

Suppose I book British Airways Shannon to LA, price is €XXX

If I go on kayak.com for example there is always some random airline / online travel agent option which comes in way less than booking directly with British Airways, often putting you on a BA flight but somebody else sold the ticket, so I don't think you can claim any points (or can you)

I think if you were spending your own money then nobody would be joining these clubs, but I get the points for work and I'll always choose Aer lingus over the likes of ryanair if work is paying for it.

I think I'll cash in.

4 people have thanked this post
fits Registered User

In Sweden they have started taxing people who use air miles earned through work travel for private trips. What a dose!

L1011 Moderator

fits said:
In Sweden they have started taxing people who use air miles earned through work travel for private trips. What a dose!

Sssh, don't be giving Revenue ideas!

(I had some very cheap holidays with work-earned Radisson points, One4All cards from Best Western, used Subway/Boots/Applegreen points on myself and I certainly never gave the fleet manager my Topaz muffins from their scheme...)

3 people have thanked this post
eusap Registered User

I gave up a long time ago trying to use GC points for Flights the last 3-4 years i have used them for BT vouchers. Very handy if you like Nespresso, AL have paid for my coffee addiction for the last few years

If you look online you can also use your points for some small gifts http://www.tnsdistribution.com/aerlingus/

irlrobins Registered User

L1011 said:
Sssh, don't be giving Revenue ideas!

(I had some very cheap holidays with work-earned Radisson points, One4All cards from Best Western, used Subway/Boots/Applegreen points on myself and I certainly never gave the fleet manager my Topaz muffins from their scheme...)

From revenue.ie:
Q: As part of frequent air travel by its employees an entitlement will frequently arise to air miles. Often such entitlements are left by the employer to the employee for use at his / her discretion. While the entitlements arise on foot of travel expenditure incurred by the employer, a cost does not arise for the employer in relation to the provision of this benefit due to the air miles / TAB points having no cost. Does a taxable benefit arise in these circumstances?
A: PAYE / PRSI need not be applied to the benefit arising to employees in such circumstances.

Yep, got some nice free hotel stays using my Hilton points. Paris, Vienna, Prague and Budapest. 5* Hotels with access to executive lounge for free drinks, all for nothing. The one advantage from the weekly commute to UK.

Flying to states for work these days with United. Already getting much more benefits with their FF than I ever did with GC.

Dardania Registered User

If you fly with Aer Lingus, can you put the miles on say United's Mileage Plus? Or American's AAdvantage?

I'm around 10,000 with both of those, and am trying to figure out what way to go with GC now (only 550 points at moment) - all I really care about is ease at the airport and in the air - the other free miles don't interest so much...

L1011 Moderator

Redeem but not earn for mileage plus and currently neither for aadvantage

Downtime Registered User

I've used mine a good few times - upgrades on transatlantic flights and also used them for flights to the US and Paris for my wife. You need to book well in advance though > 2 months and are better ringing them up than trying online. Also used them for vouchers.

AndyBoBandy Moderator

Best option (value) for me using GC points was to use 4,000 for a one way upgrade to America, did it 3/4 times, but seeing as how I haven't been to America in 4 years, and have almost 9,000 points, the BT vouchers are a great option,
(I also got a nice 750GB portable HD (in Apple's brushed aluminium style) last year using points)
although I'm planning a trip stateside next year, so am in 2 minds as to what to do, wondering how it will go with the switchover to Avios and will upgrades roughly be the same cost/value

Also, Aer Lingus are terrible at telling you about points about to expire (smallest of small print at the bottom of your GC statement)

BT vouchers are good though, nice little additional Christmas present for herself, at no additional cost.

Arbiter of Good Taste Registered User

Tenger said:
Nice deal for yourself.

With the Gold Circle program soon to be ended and replaced by AerClub it might be interesting to see if you must use existing GC points or can you convert them to Avio's to use with AerClub.

I have a funny feeling Aer Club is going to be a load of sh1te. Firstly it appears you won't be able to transfer existing BA Avios points over. AL are silent about future Avios points.

Anyway, it's starting already. I have a GC card and never really get value for points. I see the value in using the GC queue to check in, fast track security and the lounge. Now, AL are only allowing the cardholder through fast track security - was travelling with my husband the other day and he had to go through regular security- and I wouldn't be surprised if soon you won't be able to bring a guest into the lounge.

I don't really have good feelings towards AL

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!