The Last Bandit Registered User

Any way of avoiding the shadows, would more bulbs be any help ?

The Last Bandit said:
Any way of avoiding the shadows, would more bulbs be any help ?

The shadows are only affecting me taking pictures to show the results, the light box is obviously shadow free

The Last Bandit Registered User

Myrddin said:
The shadows are only affecting me taking pictures to show the results, the light box is obviously shadow free

ah right, misunderstood completely

So long do the bits need to be in the box ?

The Last Bandit said:
So long do the bits need to be in the box ?

Significantly longer than I thought anyway. I haven't kept a record (which I should have), but the bottom half has had 36/48 hours or thereabouts I'd say (spread across focusing on the bottom, and then each of the four corners).

Los Lobos Registered User

They may be different to look at right in front of you, but in the pictures its chalk and cheese. Nice job

1 person has thanked this post

So, the Snes is finished. It's almost perfect, the lower half is a shade or two darker than the top which mightn't come across via the pics, but we're only talking a shade or two and you have to look very close to see it. The lower half just won't come up any brighter, so short of a peroxide bath this is the best it'll get. I'm chuffed with the results

You can see the RF unit has it's own plastic which doesn't remove, it has come a long way! I could dismantle the RF unit if I wanted to remove this plastic, but I kinda like having it there as a way to remind me how bad this console used to be!

11 people have thanked this post
Steve X2 Moderator

That came up well

eddhorse Registered User

Looks great, well done, id leave the contrasting rf unit as wel.
How long will this last? A few years at this colour is it?

eddhorse said:
Looks great, well done, id leave the contrasting rf unit as wel.
How long will this last? A few years at this colour is it?

I'm hopeful it won't re-yellow, because from what I'm reading...not everyone's does. If it does happen though, I suppose a year or two and it will begin to yellow again. At that point though I'll just re-treat it, and because it won't have gotten that bad I expect it'll be quite easy to restore the next time.

Steve X2 Moderator

Myrddin said:
I'm hopeful it won't re-yellow, because from what I'm reading...not everyone's does. If it does happen though, I suppose a year or two and it will begin to yellow again. At that point though I'll just re-treat it, and because it won't have gotten that bad I expect it'll be quite easy to restore the next time.

I did a macintosh classic a good few years ago and it's still nice and clean with no re-yellowing.
But i guess it just depends on the plastic they used in each particular batch of consoles/computers etc.

Danick Registered User

Hi Myrddin - your Snes looks amazing - I am interested on using your technique on my old Amiga 500. Unfortunately I can' t see the pictures on the first post - can you talk me through the materials I need?

Bulbs and where to get them?
How you set up your UV light box - what materials and type of box did you use?

Thanks - I would really appreciate your advice.

Inviere Registered User

Danick said:
Hi Myrddin - your Snes looks amazing - I am interested on using your technique on my old Amiga 500. Unfortunately I can' t see the pictures on the first post - can you talk me through the materials I need?

Bulbs and where to get them?
How you set up your UV light box - what materials and type of box did you use?

Thanks - I would really appreciate your advice.

I used a large cardboard box designed for storing documents, so it has a lid and doesn't let any light in. I then lined the box with tin foil, all sides, bottom, and inside of the lid. This means any UV light is bounced around inside the box, and hits the target from all angles.

I mounted x2 12" Fluoresent UV tubes on the inside of the box lid, so they're emitting light downwards and to the sides, which is then bounced around by the tin foil. I got these from a user here who's name escapes me, I'll give you the make/model of the lights later in the week if I can find the details.

The peroxide came straight from boots, it's a cream called Jerome Russell Bblonde, though I can't find it on their site anymore. It can be got on eBay though, will throw a few links up later in the week or tomorrow if I can. It's very cheap to buy, and goes a long way.

Other than that all you need is an old newspaper to place the console on when you're applying the cream, and some decent rubber gloves as it's very harsh on the skin. Then all you need is time, treatment, wash, treatment, wash, etc. Will reupload the pictures in a day or two

2 people have thanked this post
Danick Registered User

Thanks Inviere for taking the time to reply - I can't wait to see the pics - I'll check boots for that cream tomorrow.

Inviere Registered User

Apologies for the delay, pics of the light box build process as promised:

Danick Registered User

Hi Inviere - thanks so much for posting these pics - I'll start collecting all the necessary equipment.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!