godtabh Moderator

I am filling out eForm 12 at the moment.

It lists me and my wife on the PAYE any time webpage.

My wife gets a €3300 married person tax credit.

I only get the €1650 single person tax credit.

Is that right? I assume the €3300 should be applied to both?

gerrybbadd Registered User

godtabh said:

No.

A married couple does not get any more tax credits than a single person. It's how the tax credits are allocated. Your Personal tax credit of 1650 is transferrable to your wife. Adding to her 1650 = 3300.00

The 1650 you see under yourself is most likely the PAYE Tax credit, which is non transferrable between spouses

godtabh Moderator

looking at form 12 it has the following

Personal Tax Credit €3300 for me wife

Personal Tax Credit €1650 for me.

Is that right?

Geuze Registered User

No, that's not right.

Personal tax credit is 1650 per person, and is transferable from husband to wife, and vice versa.

It's either:

1650 each
3300 for one, NIL for spouse

But you can't have 3300 + 1650 for personal tax credits.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with the PAYE tax credit, which is coincidentally also 1650?

1 person has thanked this post
5star02707 Registered User

it could be that your wife's tax credit is 1650 (personal) + Paye tax credit 1650 = 3300

Yours is just 1650 personal tax credit.

if you are married and jointly assesed. 2 x personal tax credit (each of your own = 3300

can't be more than that

Wonderue Registered User

Hi,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to tax and tax credits. I got married in October 2012 but never contacted the tax office regarding joint assessment. If I do that now am I entitled to a refund?

Also my wife is considering working a 4 day week now. Would it be in my interest to get her credits transferred to mine?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

screamer Registered User

godtabh said:

No it's wrong if you are both employees and both earning you should each get a paye and individual tax credit. These are 1650 each one. so she has 3300 and so should you......unless your tax affairs are not in order. Call the tax office and talk to them.

screamer Registered User

Wonderue said:
Hi,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to tax and tax credits. I got married in October 2012 but never contacted the tax office regarding joint assessment. If I do that now am I entitled to a refund?

Also my wife is considering working a 4 day week now. Would it be in my interest to get her credits transferred to mine?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

It depends if you both earned over the threshold amount in the past few years to pay 40percent tax in some of your earnings it will make no difference whether jointly or separately assessed. I think the thresholds were 31800 roughly so if both of you earned over that gross (before tax) the assessment will be the same. If one of you earned more than 31800 and one less than that then joint assessment should yield a bit of refund.

Transferring tax credits..... again if she is over the threshold amount (I think it's now 33800 you'd need to check) then no benefit transferring tax credits. If she is under the threshold and you are over it then you should transfer threshold amounts between you that would help reduce your tax. Call revenue they'll be better able to help.

HelgaWard Registered User

When myself and my husband got married, we notified the tax office of same. They fecked up and gave my husband 3/4 of our combined tax allowance and myself 1/2 of our combined tax allowance. So together we were given 5/4 tax credits (ie too many). We didn't notice for a year and then we had to pay them back. They make absolutely no apologises for the fact that it was them who incorrectly distributed our tax credits, it is each tax payers responsibility to ensure that your tax credits are correct. We got a different story from every person we spoke to and they repeatedly sent us incorrect P21 statements. It was only when we sat down read everything there is to know about PAYE and looked back at out pay slips, P60s that we figured out what had gone wrong.
http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/paye-employee.html

Best of luck!!

Benny122 Registered User

Hi there I'm looking for tax advice please possibility from an accountant or someone qualified enough to know the answer.

I am working full time and earning 26k per annum. My partner is drawing JSA through a Scheme of about €208pw.
At the moment we do not live together. And we are not married.

We are thinking of buying an apartment. Sole mortgage and joint ownership.

As I have said my current salary is 26k however this will go up to 29k in the next year or two due to my studies.

If we buy this property - as in both have our names on the deeds and own it together and live in it together - will his JSA be effected with my income?

Another question - if we intend to get married - i would as the same question - would his JSA be effected with my income?

I would appreciate any information on this?

Benny122 Registered User

Hi there I'm looking for tax advice please possibility from an accountant or someone qualified enough to know the answer.

I am working full time and earning 26k per annum. My partner is drawing JSA through a Scheme of about €208pw.
At the moment we do not live together. And we are not married.

We are thinking of buying an apartment. Sole mortgage and joint ownership.

As I have said my current salary is 26k however this will go up to 29k in the next year or two due to my studies.

If we buy this property - as in both have our names on the deeds and own it together and live in it together - will his JSA be effected with my income?

Another question - if we intend to get married - i would as the same question - would his JSA be effected with my income?

I would appreciate any information on this?

phormium Registered User

If you partner's payment is a means tested one then yes it will be affected once you cohabit or get married. Your local Citizens Info office will work out by how much if you call to them or phone.

As to the mortgage make sure a lender is happy with sole mortgage and joint owners, I doubt too many will be. There is no problem with the other way around as in joint mortgage/sole owner but you are looking to mortgage a property where you will not be the only owner but the other owner is not on the mortgage. Bank may not be too happy with that and may insist that other owner goes on mortgage and I presume you are intending leaving them off it so as to avoid having them assessed as dependent and reducing the amount you can borrow.

Benny122 Registered User

Yes that is correct by leaving them on the application my NDI is failing as their classes as a dependant of mine.

Sur how will the bank know if the property will be in joint names? Isn't that to do with the solicitor?

Or can't I get the deeds changed at a later date?

phormium Registered User

Your solicitor is going to have to give an undertaking to the bank to complete the mortgage and register the bank's charge on the property. Solicitor would have to advise the bank is there were to be that big a change to the registration as sticking another person on it.

Ask your solicitor's advice on this one as I imagine you will need the bank's permission to add on a person to the deeds at a later stage too. The mortgage is registered against the property so it matters to the bank who the property is registered to.

Look at it this way, you are trying to get a loan to buy a house, you want the bank to give you the money based on you giving them a hold over the house until the money is paid back but you are trying to avoid telling them that actually you don't really own the house yourself, there is another owner as well that has not agreed to the mortgage, bank no like and may say no deal.

Jacovs Registered User

Somewhat related, didn't want to start a new thread.
Got married last year, 1 october 2015. Sent in appropriate form to receive wife's credits for 2016. Received the 1650 credits on my 2016 credit form.
How much of her credits am I entitled to claim for 2015? Would it be 3 months worth?
1650/12*3=412,5 more or less?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!