#1

Seeing as so many of us are collectors, & might need the use one day of some RetroBrite....I was wondering if there's any interest in a few of us chipping in and building a retrobrite kit we can share. Essentially, this still is by all accounts RetroBrite in a bottle - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jerome-Russell-Bblonde-Cream-Peroxide-40vol-75ml-/321547103544?hash=item4addb36d38 (Jerome Russell Bblonde Cream Peroxide 40vol). You apply it to the console, no mixing up of constituent ingredients, wrap it in cling film, & voila - instant RetroBrite. However, you do need a UV light source to make the reaction work. This stuff might work too, though I'm not too sure - http://www.boots.ie/en/Jerome-Russell-B-Blonde-Cream-Peroxide-for-Medium-to-Dark-Brown-Hair-75ml_1110807/

Anyway, given we get really unreliable sunshine here, a UV box seems a better solution. If there's any interest, we could expand on it but the basic idea is we pool resources, build a small'ish wooden box that can house the likes of a Snes case etc inside it, and bakes treated plastic in UV light using either leds/cfl/incandescent (whatever works best)...we split the cost x ways & can share out the finished product. Any interest?

CathalDublin Registered User
#2

Something like this with lights screwed into the sides and lid should fit just about any console, even 2 fittings on the lid should be enough to blind the **** out of anything that's put inside.


http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-organising/storage-boxes-baskets/samla-box-with-lid-black-spr-59898166/

2 people have thanked this post
#3

CathalDublin said:
Something like this with lights screwed into the sides and lid should fit just about any console, even 2 fittings on the lid should be enough to blind the **** out of anything that's put inside.


http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-organising/storage-boxes-baskets/samla-box-with-lid-black-spr-59898166/


Even better Cathal, good idea! That's the base sorted so... Any thoughts on the UV light itself? Go oe or two actual UV bulbs, or strips of leds?

The Last Bandit Registered User
#4

Good idea !! Would need to be big enough for an Amiga 500, think the UV bulbs for aquariums are suitable ?

#5

The Last Bandit said:
Good idea !! Would need to be big enough for an Amiga 500


Indeed, best we've all the bases covered. Would a Mig 1200 length suffice?

think the UV bulbs for aquariums are suitable ?


I'm far from an expert, but I'd imagine so. They're fluorescent ones aren't they, elongated type? Is there much needed to get them set up (transformer/starters etc)?

Corholio Registered User
#6

It's a very good idea to do something like that, One thing you have to be careful of is not to let the peroxide dry out on the plastic of the console, I've had mostly good experiences with the Retrobrite method but on occasion it can stain parts and leave a white mark if it is let dry out so the clingfilm has to be quite tight to stop this. It's also important with the Bblonde stuff to almost massage it into the plastic and not to leave too many big goops of it sitting on the plastic under the clingfilm. Also using a ziploc bag instead of clingfilm is another option I have read about but haven't tried myself.

Here was a recent attempt using the Bblonde stuff...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96934614&postcount=3291

1 person has thanked this post
#7

^^ Excellent, so that BBlonde stuff from Boots does the job (it seems cheap too!). I wonder what the difference would have been in a UV light box, compared to sunshine? Ziplock bag sounds a good ideal too

CathalDublin Registered User
#8

being a marine fishkeeper I might suggest a marine blue, or a daytime blue light, I should be able to get hold of a couple lights to test out and see the results.
http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/T5-Marine-Tubes/Bulbs-and-Reflectors/272

#9

CathalDublin said:
being a marine fishkeeper I might suggest a marine blue, or a daytime blue light, I should be able to get hold of a couple lights to test out and see the results.
http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/T5-Marine-Tubes/Bulbs-and-Reflectors/272


I know squat about them, I take it they emit light in the UV part of the spectrum?

Corholio Registered User
#10

Myrddin said:
^^ Excellent, so that BBlonde stuff from Boots does the job (it seems cheap too!). I wonder what the difference would have been in a UV light box, compared to sunshine? Ziplock bag sounds a good ideal too


Ya it definitely works, past my expectations to be honest. The NES was even more yellow than it looks in the pic. Think it was around €2.50 per small bottle. I would say UV would be more consistent definitely. I had the NES on a timber stand angled towards the sun and was moving it around during the day depending on the location of the sun. Neighbours must have thought I was gone bonkers

2 people have thanked this post
#11

Corholio said:
Ya it definitely works, past my expectations to be honest. The NES was even more yellow than it looks in the pic. Think it was around €2.50 per small bottle. I would say UV would be more consistent definitely. I had the NES on a timber stand angled towards the sun and was moving it around during the day depending on the location of the sun. Neighbours must have thought I was gone bonkers


How many small bottle of it did you need for the whole NES? Did you end up with any streaks in the final result?

Corholio Registered User
#12

Myrddin said:
How many small bottle of it did you need for the whole NES? Did you end up with any streaks in the final result?


I didn't even use a bottle of it over 4 days of putting it out. UV would be a good bit less I'd say as the rays would be consistent. The white top part was fine, had no streaks on that but the dark grey bottom part ended up with some white streaks on the back from the peroxide drying out. I also think it could be that particular plastic on the base of the NES might not work as well as the whiter top part.

Use gloves with the peroxide when your applying it and just massage it over it, leaving just a film of it across it. I noticed it evened itself out on the 2nd and 3rd day even if there were slight streaks the 1st day, these had disappeared on further applications. But with the UV this might not be even a problem as it would be stronger than outside sunlight I would imagine.

1 person has thanked this post
CathalDublin Registered User
#13

Myrddin said:
I know squat about them, I take it they emit light in the UV part of the spectrum?


Yep, I think this would be the best one for our needs, 1 or 2 24w should be sufficient, I'll try get a couple for testing over the next day or 2
**edit actually these ones should do the trick.
http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/JBL-SOLAR-MARIN-BLUE-T8-18W/1894

1 person has thanked this post
eddhorse Registered User
#14

How much are those bad boys?

#15

CathalDublin said:
Yep, I think this would be the best one for our needs, 1 or 2 24w should be sufficient, I'll try get a couple for testing over the next day or 2
**edit actually these ones should do the trick.
http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/JBL-SOLAR-MARIN-BLUE-T8-18W/1894


Great stuff, as long as you're sure they're UV (I can't see it mentioned anywhere on that page, but it probably is mentioned in a more scientific way than simply UV!). If there's any wiring/soldering or anything like that to be done I can handle that end of things anyway if needed

eddhorse said:
How much are those bad boys?


It'll get pricey the more of them we add, but, the more people who get on board with this means the cheaper it gets too as we can split the cost X ways

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!