BattleCorp Registered User

Dr Strange said:
Ah crap, just when I planned to start .22 pistol shooting (after using .22 rifles for the last 10 years)

You can licence a .22lr semi auto pistol if the mag can only hold 5 rounds.

1 person has thanked this post
Dr Strange Registered User

Melodeon said:
Haven't lads had to butcher their 6 (and more) round .22 revolvers to only hold 5 for a good while now anyway?

That's true, I saw some nice Webley's .22 changed to 5 rounds.

Sparks Moderator

Melodeon said:
Haven't lads had to butcher their 6 (and more) round .22 revolvers to only hold 5 for a good while now anyway?

Yes, but some were still having issues because of the modified -vs- came-from-the-factory thing.

Dr Strange said:
Ah crap, just when I planned to start .22 pistol shooting (after using .22 rifles for the last 10 years)

You're still fine, nothing's changed for that other than that it just got a bit easier.

gunhappy_ie Registered User

turismo2142 said:
You're dead right.

Clarifies one thing, messes another

(iii) firearms which are designed for use with 0.22 inch long rifle
rim fire percussion ammunition and use magazines that have
been manufactured or modified prior to use so as to
accommodate no more than five rounds of ammunition”.

The key word there would be "modified" that could cover revolvers but since it refers only to "magazines" and not cylinders you could get a snaggy cop..... !

Dr Strange Registered User

BattleCorp said:
You can licence a .22lr semi auto pistol if the mag can only hold 5 rounds.

Looking for revolver but if 5 rounds are still OK than it doesn't change much as the 6 chambered revolvers had to be modified to only hold 5 rounds anyway.

Strider Registered User

Right so .22 pistols with 5 round mags are now restricted correct?

Sparks Moderator

turismo2142 said:
You're dead right.

Clarifies one thing, messes another

For legislation, that's better than average

BattleCorp Registered User

Strider said:

No, not at all.

Sparks Moderator

Strider said:

Incorrect, they're unrestricted.

Sparks Moderator

nastros said:
So is reloading possibly on the cards than?

Not even mentioned. Different act. Its status remains unchanged - possibly on the cards, needs a rework of the explosives act.

Strider Registered User

Ok, I just saw they had substituted a paragraph in the Restricted SI and guessed the worst. I'm on a phone and didn't want to go and check what they had changed.

It wasn't me! Moderator

Strider said:

No, exactly the opposite. Their categorisation as unrestricted has been clarified and underlined, along with the removal of the completely nonsensical requirement that they be "designed for" use in Olympic competition. It bases their requirement to remain unrestricted solely on mechanical, identifiable characteristics, being mag capacity.

8 people have thanked this post
Grizzly 45 Registered User

Sparks said:
Not even mentioned. Different act. Its status remains unchanged - possibly on the cards, needs a rework of the explosives act.

A political can for kicking if there ever was one.FG promised that one when they got into power X years ago.

Sparks Moderator

Like I've been saying for a few months Grizz, this is one can we want firmly booted, because a good solid kick to it is the best possible outcome for us.

Also, the restart of the FCP is the best bit of news today. No more shouting, back in the process, a far better place to be in.

Be interesting to see how the NARGC responds to this given their past statements...

3 people have thanked this post
gunhappy_ie Registered User

Sparks said:
You're still fine, nothing's changed for that other than that it just got a bit easier.

Easier is the wrong word. Youll still have the same scrutiny but they will not refuse you a licence because of its magazine has been modified to suit the legislation.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!