g0g Registered User

Some general question about bike commuting...
I'm currently looking into the idea of a theoretical daily between Bray and Eastpoint Business Park - 45km round trip ish

1) How long do people allow for it at either end? (Between getting bike ready, getting gear on, locking up, showering at work etc etc)
2) I know it's kinda an "it depends" question, but what's a reasonable average speed to expect in traffic? (most of my cycling is weekends) Is it realistic to think you'd get ready, get out the door, cycle 22km, lock up etc in an hour?

Be interested to hear anyone who does similar distance. I'm presuming end to end it'd be a little bit quicker than taking the dart.

g0g said:
I'm currently looking into the idea of a theoretical daily between Bray and Eastpoint Business Park - 45km round trip ish

1) How long do people allow for it at either end? (Between getting bike ready, getting gear on, locking up, showering at work etc etc)
2) I know it's kinda an "it depends" question, but what's a reasonable average speed to expect in traffic? (most of my cycling is weekends) Is it realistic to think you'd get ready, get out the door, cycle 22km, lock up etc in an hour?

Be interested to hear anyone who does similar distance. I'm presuming end to end it'd be a little bit quicker than taking the dart.

Hey, my commute is 68km round trip. Pending on how I'm working time out the door can vary. That said I'm up, dressed and on the bike inside of 15-20mins. Once in work I'd say 10-15 mins, shower, dress and ready to go. Breakfast at my desk.

So to put that in times on Wednesday I was aiming to be in work for 8. Up at 6:25, on the bike by 6:40, in work showered at my desk by 8. Had breakfast a little later.

1 person has thanked this post
Indricotherium Registered User

g0g said:
I'm presuming end to end it'd be a little bit quicker than taking the dart.

The big advantage is that you're on the way and moving from the second you leave the house.

No waiting around for a bus / train.

jon1981 Registered User

Also the Dart in my experience can be delayed quite often. I think doing all of what you described in an hour is probably unrealistic when you factor wind, rain, traffic,backpack..etc but you can prove me wrong

Gasco Registered User

g0g said:

Greystones to UCD for me (though quite infrequently), my preferred route in is 32 km (I try to avoid Windgates at crazy o'clock) and a little longer back.
To start work by 08.00 I like to leave the house at 06.10. As I like to eat before (and after) I usually get up in good time so there is no rushing around - for me the 22k, with the before / after in an hour would not be possible. But I tend to not break any speed records on the commute.

Plastik Registered User

I commute Bray (southern end) to D1 daily on the bike and in general it's 50/60min accounting for traffic lights. That's 23.5km each way for me. If you're doing 22 and heading to Eastpoint I assume you're heading from the northern end.

It'll be much quicker than the Dart, because there is no Dart. You're looking at getting the Dart to Tara St. and then having to catch a bus to Eastpoint.

Seaswimmer Registered User

g0g said:

Your cycle time will be consistent. I do 20km over a lot of that route in about 50 minutes during peak hours. I would suggest N11, Clonkeen Road, Rock Road, Merrion Gates and Eastlink

Getting out in the morning should be quick as you get out of bed and into your cycling clothes. Bike should be ready if you are using it everyday.

Delays will probably be at your place of work. Locking the bike, having a shower, walking to your desk ect

Unlikely you will be at your desk an hour after leaving your house. I would suspect your cycle will take at least 55 minutes and then whatever it takes at your work end..

Leroy42 Registered User

Plastik said:
It'll be much quicker than the Dart, because there is no Dart. You're looking at getting the Dart to Tara St. and then having to catch a bus to Eastpoint.

Wouldn't you get the dart to Clontarf road? I think there are shuttle buses from there but then it isn't too far regardless

3 people have thanked this post
lennymc Registered User

Plastik said:

the dart goes to Clontarf

bloody southsiders.....

5 people have thanked this post
Plastik Registered User

Leroy42 said:
Wouldn't you get the dart to Clontarf road? I think there are shuttle buses from there but then it isn't too far regardless

Sorry, true. Contarf road would be far better.

2 people have thanked this post
g0g Registered User

Plastik said:
I commute Bray (southern end) to D1 daily on the bike and in general it's 50/60min accounting for traffic lights. That's 23.5km each way for me. If you're doing 22 and heading to Eastpoint I assume you're heading from the northern end.

Nice one thanks, good to have a local comparison. I had assumed Clontarf Road and walk back for Dart, but maybe Tara would make more sense. I'm very close to the bottom of the Main Street (Bray), so kinda middle of town. Had assumed Shankill, N11, Clonkeen Road, Coast Road, Eastlink in terms of distance. Does your timing factor in each end of it or is that just time on bike?

(edit - had this half typed then got called away so hadn't seen those other replies in the meantime!)

cdaly_ Registered User

Plastik said:

AFAIK, Eastpoint has a shuttle to Clontarf Rd Dart.

lissard Registered User

I do Bray to Ballymount - 27km approx and I'd say it works out at about 1hr 30mins all in. 15 mins getting dressed and hopping on the bike, 1 hour or so on the road and 15 mins changing and showering at work.

Leroy42 Registered User

Just get yourself one of these, cuts out all those messy lights and the traffic.

Highway_To_Hell Registered User

I found when I was doing a longer commute (30km each way) I had to spend 10-15 mins cooling down before having a shower or else I was still over heating when I got dressed.

I was able to sit at my desk and have breakfast and then shower and change. I wasn't particularly worried about sitting around in Lycra but it did upset some other people - I did get in before most other people so was respectably dressed by the time the office got busy.

Now my commute is only 7km so I just shower before I leave the house and change clothes once I get in.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!