tabbey Registered User
#1,216

oceanclub said:
What looks like a male relative of Mary registered her birth as an "inmate" - any idea what that could refer to?

Where is this?, what SRD and dispensary district?

Occupier and inmate could be a workhouse, hospital or private nursing home.

The father being a farmer makes it very unlikely that the family were in a workhouse, except that the mother might be in the infirmary for giving birth, and a farmer's wife would almost certainly give birth at home.

Theinformant being a relativeof the mother suggests he was a resident of the couples home.

VirginiaB Registered User
#1,217

'John Grinsel (probably also sometimes spelled Grinsell or Grincell) and Mary McGarr.'

Thanks for these suggestions. Hard to tell if the first name has a double L or E. Grinsell is an exceedingly rare name. And the double R in McGarr doesn't look like the double R in the priest's name which is why I wasn't sure about it myself.

Vetch Registered User
#1,218

tabbey said:

Occupier and inmate could be a workhouse, hospital or private nursing home.

The father being a farmer makes it very unlikely that the family were in a workhouse, except that the mother might be in the infirmary for giving birth, and a farmer's wife would almost certainly give birth at home.

Theinformant being a relativeof the mother suggests he was a resident of the couples home.

It's in Limerick Registration District. Inmate was also used for occupants of a house, not just institutions. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/inmate

1 person has thanked this post
Vetch Registered User
#1,219

VirginiaB said:
'John Grinsel (probably also sometimes spelled Grinsell or Grincell) and Mary McGarr.'

Thanks for these suggestions. Hard to tell if the first name has a double L or E. Grinsell is an exceedingly rare name. And the double R in McGarr doesn't look like the double R in the priest's name which is why I wasn't sure about it myself.

I think what's there is either Grinsll or Grinsel. There doesn't seem to be an 'e' there to make Grinsell. Either way it looks like some variant of that name.

shanew Registered User
#1,220

tabbey said:

birth took place on Toberagarriff townland near to Moroe

oceanclub Registered User
#1,221

Have seen the father here transcribed as Bernard Moloney:

However, around the same time there is a birth with the same mother's name to an Edmund Moloney:

I'm inclined to think that "Bernard" is actually Edmund. Any thoughts?

P.

BowWow Registered User
#1,222

I'd vote Edmund...

VirginiaB Registered User
#1,223

Thanks for the reply.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!