montgo Registered User

Hi,

An easy one to start with.

I am looking at the baptism record of Michael Glasheen on 20 Feb 1870 and the marriage annotation "married Margaret Quartes (?) at Balling??, Athlone on 5th June 1927."

It would appear that it should be Quarters as a Margaret Quarters was married in Birr district in 1927. Any idea what the townland/village in Athlone should be?

Hermy Registered User

Would it be Ballinahown?

NOTE TO MODS: Maybe this thread could be retitled to be the official decipher thread.

montgo Registered User

Looks a good possibility. Cheers Hermy

1 person has thanked this post
pinkypinky Moderator

Alright, we'll try keeping everything in here please. There's bound to be an initial flurry of deciphering required.

2 people have thanked this post
yaledo Registered User

I'd like some help reading this sobering paragraph in marriage registers for Moycullen (Co Galway) from 1845.
I can read the first half, but I struggle with the second half

Attachments
moycullen_famine.jpg
4 people have thanked this post
Jellybaby1 Registered User

This is all I can get at the moment:

“This Harvest is being abundant as far as grain is concerned, but great fears nay actual starvation on account of a rot ? dreaded in the potato crop. Black spots appearing on the lumper and the probability of its affecting the interior of the vegetable. The people are afraid as yet to pit them for fear of the contagion attacking the sound ones. Wheat has got up 5 a cwt (hundredweight) more than it was last year. How the incoming summer will be as the necessaries of life is on the ? of a Merciful Provider. The disease in the potato is called Cholera from Black Spots appearing on the surface.”

Feel free to correct where I got it wrong. I will come back to it later, it will look different then.

I've added a few bits now.

9 people have thanked this post
yaledo Registered User

Thanks jellybaby1 - I've added a couple more clarifications based on your transcription:

As I've read through this marriage register, the same writer has several longer commentaries on the state of his parish & on national politics. I'm grateful for his good handwriting, but found no marriages of my ancestors.

This Harvest is being abundant as far as grain is concerned, but great fears nay actual starvation on account of a rot ? dreaded in the potato crop. Black spots appearing on the lumper and the probability of its affecting the interior of the vegetable. The people are afraid as yet to pit them for fear of the contagion attacking the sound ones. Wheat has got up 5 a cwt (hundredweight) more than it was last year. How the incoming summer will be as far the necessaries of life ^are concerned^ is in the hands of a Merciful Providence. The disease in the potato is called Cholera from Black Spots appearing on the surface.”

1 person has thanked this post
L1011 Moderator

That's the kind of social history stuff that would never turn up if just a dry transcription of the baptism/marriage entries went up. Unintended benefits.

Have to wonder who he thought he was writing them for?

6 people have thanked this post
pinkypinky Moderator

You're so right, L1011, we're going to learn so much more seeing the records like this. Similarly, if you actually look through a trade directory, you get much more than just names on a list, and if you're only searching a database version of it, you miss it.

Hermy Registered User

Agreed pinky.

From novice to professional there were a lot of concerns about the pitfalls in releasing this set of records in this fashion but I think we're all going to learn a lot more from having to trawl through the books instead of relying on technology to do the searching for us.

clashburke Registered User

Any ideas on what this says?

Its in the last column of the register. I have a feeling it might have something to do with the parent only being married two months previous (Different parish if that matters).

My eyes are square looking at it and I cant seem to get the right spelling for a translation!

Cheers

Edit: _________ tautum quia validi patre baptizatus _______ _______ patre

Hermy Registered User

ceremonio tautum quia validi a patre baptizatus testimonium perhiberte patre

Don't know what it means but that's what I think it reads.

Wyldwood Registered User

Ceremonia tantum quia validi a patre baptizatus testimonium per (hebente?) patre

shanew Registered User

Hermy said:
ceremonio tautum quia validi a patre baptizatus testimonium perhiberte patre

Don't know what it means but that's what I think it reads.

not a translation but I can hazard a guess at some of the words -

ceremonio = ceremony
patre = father
baptizatus = baptism
testimonium = testimony
perhibente = witness ?

I'm in the middle of a FutureLearn course on the Romans so spent lunchtime trying read altar inscriptions in Latin - turns out that it doesn't really help much with this ..

clashburke Registered User

Thanks folks.

I've tried google translate, but I suspect its as bad at latin as it is at Irish. Ill try a Latin forum see if it brings any joy!

Edit: Right on all counts I think shane. My Latin is limited to phrases I needed in collage so I can guess words but it seems that they might mean something else when use together!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!