Jamie2k9 Registered User

They have one poor lad controlling two crossings on the line. Is the salary correct on the add, yes its a basic job but its barly min wage. I thaught other gate keeper ads started on 30k.

Your could prob count on one hand how many crossings have changed to automatic over the last 6 years. €1 million per crossing.

Working class heroes Registered User

Jamie2k9 said:
They have one poor lad controlling two crossings on the line. Is the salary correct on the add, yes its a basic job but its barly min wage. I thaught other gate keeper ads started on 30k.

Your could prob count on one hand how many crossings have changed to automatic over the last 6 years. €1 million per crossing.

Point of order, not all lads
Actually just read your post properly.
Just to clarify, two crossings one of which is a double gate. Six gatekeepers.

road_high Registered User

Jamie2k9 said:

I hardly ever head south on the line but aren't all the crossings north of KK automatic now? Didn't realize there were still some manuals near Waterford.
How does it work one guy covering two level crossings? Does he hop in the car close one and back to the next one? Surely one would be closed for ages!
Didn't the gatekeeper live in the usual cottage beside the crossing and part of the deal was a free house?

Jamie2k9 Registered User

road_high said:
I hardly ever head south on the line but aren't all the crossings north of KK automatic now? Didn't realize there were still some manuals near Waterford.
How does it work one guy covering two level crossings? Does he hop in the car close one and back to the next one? Surely one would be closed for ages!
Didn't the gatekeeper live in the usual cottage beside the crossing and part of the deal was a free house?

Yes from Mullinavat up, there are 21 crossings (10 between Waterford/Thomastown) and 18 are automatic.

Id say he walks (if its just one person), yes likely closed for ages there was a long time where trains had to slow but they appear to have sorted that. Prob closes as soon as trains out of Waterford pass Waterford West (signal cabin).

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3271581,-7.156153,347a,35y,146.32h,44.88t/data=!3m1!1e3

Point of order, not all lads
Actually just read your post properly.
Just to clarify, two crossings one of which is a double gate. Six gatekeepers.

So do two gate keepers control it or just one?, I have only ever saw one usually on the Kilkenny side of Irish's Bar.

1 person has thanked this post
Working class heroes Registered User

Jamie2k9 said:
Yes from Mullinavat up, there are 21 crossings (10 between Waterford/Thomastown) and 18 are automatic.

Id say he walks (if its just one person), yes likely closed for ages there was a long time where trains had to slow but they appear to have sorted that. Prob closes as soon as trains out of Waterford pass Waterford West (signal cabin).

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3271581,-7.156153,347a,35y,146.32h,44.88t/data=!3m1!1e3

So do two gate keepers control it or just one?, I have only ever saw one usually on the Kilkenny side of Irish's Bar.

Yes, just one.
GK gets an indication that a train is en route and closes both gates(kilmacow). Gates are very near each other(100m approximately).

Rossinan is a different XC and operated by another GK.

Jamie2k9 Registered User

Lots of positions open for DART Expansion, National Control Center and City Centre Resignaling

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/career-opportunities

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!