Zelda247 Registered User

i have just moved into an area where there is an Aldi, i am not really familiar with the store, what do you recommend of their products.

6 people have thanked this post
The Hill Billy Prick, with a fork

OP - try the forum search function. Here are a couple of search results that you may find useful...

Aldi threads in F&D

Aldi threads in C&R

I've moved this thread to the main Food & Drink forum as your query is appears more related to general produce rather than cooking or recipes.

tHB

Bannasidhe Registered User

I do all of my grocery shopping in Aldi with the exception of coffee. As a former chef I tend to stick to 'basics' (i.e. I cook ) so can't comment on their ready meals with the exception of their curries which I believe are superior to either Marks or Tescos.

At the moment I am happily eating my way through Rosamund Grant's Taste of the Caribbean cookbook using only Aldi bought products and enjoying some seriously good food every night at an average cost of a fiver for two people.

30 people have thanked this post
fussyonion Registered User

There's a good few things from Aldi we love so I'll list them here:

-Specially Selected Madras Curry Sauce (Aldi's curry sauces get rave reviews here. This one has a spice pot attached to the top of the jar, and it's delicious)
-Naan breads (You get two in a pack for 79c and they're lovely)
-Brannan's Deli Style Roast Beef Slices.
-HotDog Rolls
-Orange Squash

And all their cheeses are fabulous!

10 people have thanked this post
Spanish Eyes Registered User

Tea. McGraths Gold Blend. Passed the Ma's taste test, so all is good there!

Kavanagh's Porridge. Just the big 1k bag. Creamiest I've tasted so far.

Jams.

Greek Style Yogurt.

Curry sauces.

There are lots more, I just can't think at the moment, although I am mentally going up and down the aisles as I post!

Enjoy, you will find lots to please you in Aldi.

2 people have thanked this post
gordongekko Registered User

Tis all good

mirrorwall14 Registered User

I do my whole shop in aldi except for the baby formula because they only stock SMA and he's on cow and hate. Well worth it. 50e in tesco and I get a skimpy carrier bag 50e in aldi and I've filled half a trolley!

5 people have thanked this post
foodaholic Registered User

Their dry age steaks in the black box are fab

37 people have thanked this post
fermanagh_man Registered User

Find there fruit is poor quality, especially the berries

35 people have thanked this post
Gloomtastic! Do Not Be Afraid.....

I think the thread may be shorter if you ask what to avoid!

God bless Aldi, this recession would have been an awful lot worse if they weren't around.

33 people have thanked this post
Dizzyblonde Whirling dervish

Ribeye steaks, tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, brioche burger buns, rice cakes, cheeses.

1 person has thanked this post
Pretzill Registered User

I'd second their rib eye steaks. I wouldn't normally buy my meat at a supermarket but Aldi are one of the better ones - also for really good extra mature chedder and really tasty brannagins smoked rashers.

Their veg and fruit can be hit and miss prefer a veg shop but they are impressively cheaper here and if you remove any veg/ fruit pre bagged from their plastic hell straight away - they stay fresher for a bit longer.

6 people have thanked this post
fussyonion Registered User

Pretzill said:
I'd second their rib eye steaks. I wouldn't normally buy my meat at a supermarket but Aldi are one of the better ones - also for really good extra mature chedder and really tasty brannagins smoked rashers.

Their veg and fruit can be hit and miss prefer a veg shop but they are impressively cheaper here and if you remove any veg/ fruit pre bagged from their plastic hell straight away - they stay fresher for a bit longer.

Love the Hickory Smoked rashers!

4 people have thanked this post
meeeeh Registered User

Pretzill said:

+1 on this

I also like their continental meats. For whatever reason their chorizo is friendlier to my stomach than some others. I also like their parmesan and low fat mozzarella is great to mix with full fat one so pizzas are not so wet. And big thumbs up for me for their specially select olive oil.

Fruit and veg is not that great but I actually think Irish supermarkets sell dreadful quality of especially impoted fruit in general.

4 people have thanked this post
Reputable Rog Registered User

I had one of their rib eyes last week ( not the specially selected) , divine.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!