riffmongous Moderator

I thought since the international thread works alright it might also be nice to have also a thread for general Ireland news and matches that don't warrant their own thread, such as..

the 20/20 games going on in Scotland at the moment. I had honestly no idea they were even planned. Big loss yesterday article so hopefully there is a better performance today. Interesting to see another Rankin on the team

Cricket fan Registered User

Great debut for Tyrone Kane, 3 wickets in his first over!

All in all a bad showing yesterday though, terrible battin gin the first 10.

Will be a tough ask for this squad IMO because this is largely a full strentgh Scotland team we're playing, only Machan is a big loss to them whereas we're missing most of our team.

Really hope S Poynter steps up this series though, exciting prospect

riffmongous Moderator

Rained off today, next game Sunday. As bad as it for Ireland, Scotland seems to have the majority of it's games lost to bad weather, must be very frustrating

Edit: Just reading now they've scheduled a replacement game for tomorrow evening, hope it goes ahead

riffmongous Moderator

Good start for Ireland in the 20/20 world cup qualifiers, straightforward win against Namibia scorecard

Decent performance, bit rusty with the bat (Namibia dropped some early dollies by all accounts) but thats to be expected when you go a week without a game in this format.

PNG are the real danger in the group, Hong Kong no mugs either. USA,Jersey and Nepal shouldnt be much trouble (Nepal have one batsman,Khadka, get him and you're set)

Props to John Mooney on his excellent spell too

Another win vs the US, 46 runs victory.

Batting seems a but rusty still but the bowlers are stepping up so far which is good to see

riffmongous Moderator

Looking at the 2 groups, it definitely looks like we ended up in the easier one

Yeah agree.

Scotland always look good on paper but always bottle it in pressure situations, Netherlands and Afghanistan are definitely a tough test.

The real thing I hate is the format for the t20 world cup itself, we'll most likely have to beat (assuming the predicted teams qualify)

Zimbabwe,Netherlands/Scotland and one of PNG and Nepal just to face a proper full member, not an easy task

2 people have thanked this post
ArmaniJeanss Registered User

Cricket fan said:
Yeah agree.

Scotland always look good on paper but always bottle it in pressure situations, Netherlands and Afghanistan are definitely a tough test.

The real thing I hate is the format for the t20 world cup itself, we'll most likely have to beat (assuming the predicted teams qualify)

Zimbabwe,Netherlands/Scotland and one of PNG and Nepal just to face a proper full member, not an easy task

Annoys me that this set of games are called 'T20 WC Qualifiers', though admittedly 'T20 WC Extra Group Stage Before The Main Event Actually Starts Qualifiers' would be a mouthful.
Seems a bit of a farce though.

2 people have thanked this post
riffmongous Moderator

Huge win against Nepal today, bowled them for 53!

Excellent performance that. With the way the group is going we could afford to experiment in our last 2 games by playing S Poynter and seeing how he gets on.

Next game on Wednesday vs PNG I believe, followed by 2 live games with Hong Kong and Jersey, both of which will be on Sky.

Meanwhile in Group B Kenya got lucky with rain vs Afghanistan. Very worrying times for Scotland, if their game vs Kenya is rained off it could go down to NRR!

riffmongous Moderator

What Sky Channel will they be on? Also any idea why cricketeurope arent allowed to do ball-by-ball commentary for this tournament? It's a pity since they are very good at it but I read that the ICC wont allow it?

Upset win for Oman against the Netherlands today too, group B is going to be very close

Netherlands and Scotland both caving at the moment. Fantastic for Oman though, 2 wins in 2 for them I think. Wide wide open that group, Kenya,Oman,Scotland,Netherlands gunning for 3 spots

Both games will be on sky sports 4 I believe. To be fair to the ICC they've done a good job giving this qualifier good exposure and more would be much appreciated.

They've banned anyone from doing live commentary at the grounds, including cricinfo, so the onlky games getting proper live comm will be the ones live on TV as they can commentate from their living room. A farce but thats how it is.

1 person has thanked this post
TrueDub Moderator

Cricket fan said:
To be fair to the ICC they've done a good job giving this qualifier good exposure and more would be much appreciated.

Cricket fan said:
They've banned anyone from doing live commentary at the grounds, including cricinfo, so the onlky games getting proper live comm will be the ones live on TV as they can commentate from their living room. A farce but thats how it is.

Contradiction?

Not having a go at you, CF, but there's no way anyone can say the ICC have done a good job exposing this tournament. Banning the only organisations interested in covering is bordering on lunacy.

True, I guess I'm saying that TV wise they've done pretty well, lots of live games and most teams getting some form of exposure, but online wise they're archaic.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!