hurler on de ditch Registered User
#6,886

another horror show,wexford were poor ,as far as i can remember 1 point on the board after 17 odd minutes ,we were coasting early ,all we had to do was play a few forwards got one or two goals and sauntered through the rest of the game ,(the way kk does it,they turn them into training sessions)but no ,Mc Grath hasn't one positive bone/thought in his body,boring does not even come close

2 people have thanked this post
JeffKenna Registered User
#6,887

I've never been so demoralised after such a comprehensive victory. Wexford were so poor i was geniuenly disappointed for their fans. It feels like we've already lost against Kilkenny.

6 people have thanked this post
Dick phelan Registered User
#6,888

Mad a 10 point win and i'm not all that happy, happy to win of course especially after the Munster Final but in all honesty Tipp or KK would have beaten Wexford by 20 odd points today, Same old failings again today, zero goal threat inside as no ball is being played in, again shooting very poor the same ****e taking on hail mary shots which you might land 1/5, Backs at least looked solid bar the one fcuk up by SOK which nearly cost us a goal but then again that's largely down to playing a woeful Wexford as opposed to how good our defense is, I really thought we had come on this year compared to last but we haven't, if anything we've regressed, How can we ever hope to win an AI when we don't use our inside forwards and have no goal threat. It was a better performance then the MF but we can thank our lucky stars it was Wexford we drew and not Galway, so frustrating to see we should have gone for the juggular and killed Wexford off when we realised they weren't up to anything, instead we go ages without scoring and get dragged back to 5 points. Christ sake whatever about being defensive against Tipp or KK but leading Wexford by 8-9 points and not going for the kill is unforgivable. No chance we beat KK at best we'll loose by 5-6 points but on today's display it will be more like 12-15

3 people have thanked this post
Dick phelan Registered User
#6,889

On Maurice and i hope this doesn't sound insensitive but for me it's his mental issues, he is a damn good hurler on his day as he showed last year but this year he's been very poor, Scored a cracking point today tbf to him but in general he did very little and it's been that way all year, he's a guy who when he's confident can be really good but when he isn't like this year he can be pretty awful, I wonder if it would be best to not start him against KK? It's just not happening for him this year and the more he plays the worse his confidence might get, maybe it's issues in the background that have caused his form and if so i hope Derek and the lads are monitoring things. I'd definitely start Stephen Bennett the next day, we badly need a goal threat.

1 person has thanked this post
skaface Registered User
#6,890

You know it's bad when the panel didn't even
mention our semi final against Kilkenny after
the matches today.. Talking about how the Tipp / Galway match should be a good contest without sweeper system.. No one giving us a chance and who can blame them.. Liam Sheedy
hit the nail on the head today when he said we
won't beat Kilkenny without scoring a goal..
We never even got a shot on goal today against
a very poor Wexford side.. Don't think Cody will
lose any sleep in the next fortnight..
We need to loosen the shackles some bit, and let the players have a cut or we'll never win an AI

1 person has thanked this post
PTH2009 Registered User
#6,891

Let's send Kilkenny a white flag and let the team go on a jolly to croke park on the 7th Aug. The team can tog out but instead of challenging for the ball against Kilkenny we can pass it to them and gaze at there faboulous scoring

Were going to croke park for an all Ireland semi final, 5 other intercounty hurling teams would love to be in our position and its time for the players and management to grow a pair and go at it like there's lifes are on the line

If sum Waterford don't want to go than go ahead support in our local establishments instead

I'm usually negative I knw but ffs just enjoy the win today (ghosts of 2014 have been vanished now)

1 person has thanked this post
tomwaterford Registered User
#6,892

PTH2009 said:
Let's send Kilkenny a white flag and let the team go on a jolly to croke park on the 7th Aug. The team can tog out but instead of challenging for the ball against Kilkenny we can pass it to them and gaze at there faboulous scoring

Were going to croke park for an all Ireland semi final, 5 other intercounty hurling teams would love to be in our position and its time for the players and management to grow a pair and go at it like there's lifes are on the line

If sum Waterford don't want to go than go ahead support in our local establishments instead


Curiously enough I agree with you


No reason we can't have a cut at kk.....if you don't dream you'll never achieve


But it will take a mammoth effort and improvement beyond recognizable of the last two games


But a word of caution....when wexford did land high ball in top of full back line/braking ball about.....it caused scenes of chaos more than once


A minimum of 2 man full forward line is required....disheartening are start today when waterford looked to be in position to pull away and build confidence to see Patrick curren on his own in the square and other times noone with 30 yards of goal.....just why like? ??

garv123 Registered User
#6,893

Dick phelan said:
On Maurice and i hope this doesn't sound insensitive but for me it's his mental issues, he is a damn good hurler on his day as he showed last year but this year he's been very poor, Scored a cracking point today tbf to him but in general he did very little and it's been that way all year, he's a guy who when he's confident can be really good but when he isn't like this year he can be pretty awful, I wonder if it would be best to not start him against KK? It's just not happening for him this year and the more he plays the worse his confidence might get, maybe it's issues in the background that have caused his form and if so i hope Derek and the lads are monitoring things. I'd definitely start Stephen Bennett the next day, we badly need a goal threat.

It's not maurices fault moran and gleeson are driving balls wide over his head from their own 65.. He's up there on his own being marked by 2 men. If he had support players and man man hurling he'd be getting a lot more

seananigans Registered User
#6,894

tomwaterford said:
Curiously enough I agree with you


No reason we can't have a cut at kk.....if you don't dream you'll never achieve


But it will take a mammoth effort and improvement beyond recognizable of the last two games


But a word of caution....when wexford did land high ball in top of full back line/braking ball about.....it caused scenes of chaos more than once


A minimum of 2 man full forward line is required....disheartening are start today when waterford looked to be in position to pull away and build confidence to see Patrick curren on his own in the square and other times noone with 30 yards of goal.....just why like? ??



nobody will ever to tipp kk until we have already beaten KK so who cares what people think nothing to lose evrything to gain they have a lowe estimation of us at the very least we can trouble them and then who knows fomr there, games are there to be won, im going into the next game with optimism

decies Registered User
#6,895

Lol got message warned about personal abuse from the **** stirrer from another team . Anyway more important issues ,there seems to be different opinions out there , on social media people are giving out that people are voicing concerns abut the team and the wides etc , while on forums people are voicing their opinions . Look after the game I looked over at my friends in the stand ,and said your very gloom lads after a win . I knew damn well what it was all about , the decision making and lack of composure but mainly frustration that we couldn't have at least try and go route one and lob it into the box and at least try for goals , which we will need to have any chance against the cats . Think we need a few changes in personal for that game as well. Look am delighted we are in a all Ireland semi , but we need to box more clever to have any chance , let's go out and just be less predictable and see what happens . If it's a disaster well so be it !!!

hurler on de ditch Registered User
#6,896

tomwaterford said:
Curiously enough I agree with you


No reason we can't have a cut at kk.....if you don't dream you'll never achieve


But it will take a mammoth effort and improvement beyond recognizable of the last two games


But a word of caution....when wexford did land high ball in top of full back line/braking ball about.....it caused scenes of chaos more than once


A minimum of 2 man full forward line is required....disheartening are start today when waterford looked to be in position to pull away and build confidence to see Patrick curren on his own in the square and other times noone with 30 yards of goal.....just why like? ??
it is damn near impossible to beat KK or Tipp with a full compliment of forwards(6)let alone 5 ,if we are to win,we are going to have to play 6 forwards and trust them ,he also needs to trust his backs ,the key word here is trust ,trust in the players ability ,i really fear about how this game will fare out ,im not hopeful at all ,negativity is a seriously bad trait in a person ,and Mc Grath has a very negative approach to what is a simple game ,pick your best fifteen players to play in their best positions ,win your personnel battles ,which in all fairness i honestly believe we have the players to do just that,if only and its a big if,IF they are allowed hurl,and that's the name of the game HURLING ,

chinguetti Registered User
#6,897

Won the match easily in the end but that's covers the surface image. It was a dire performance in many ways. I'ld say Cody is sleeping easy tonight after that. To progress this year, Waterford had to win Munster and/or get to September and you can't see the latter happening at all.

The crazy shooting of players from all angles is mind blowing in the extreme and whilst you shouldn't pick out individuals, I can't for the life of me understand why no one has had a chat with Austin Glesson for the wayward shooting. Yes, he's a great talent and hugely skilled but I counted 6 terrible wides today with a wind behind him for most of them. What irks me is that he or the team doesn't appear to be learning anything from past matches. Do they even look at a video of the match at some stage in training? They looked headless at times and that's an awful thing to say of a team that's spent nearly two years working on this system.

You would have to me say we've little to no chance against KK on today's performance and while I think they'll be better in two weeks, I would be frankly amazed if we're within 6 points down of KK at the end. Its awful when you've to admit that 2 weeks before you go to a match that you can't see any hope of victory. The system might not be great but the wastefulness of the players within that system (and its lack of improvement over time) is worse.

1 person has thanked this post
Deskjockey Registered User
#6,898

I hope it's a fine day for the semi final and that the sun is shining, as it does seem as if this WD team love the fine weather. As soon as it started raining WX came back into the game. (I'm only half joking by the way)

Look we are in an All Ireland semi final having not played brilliantly and will be massive underdogs the next day. Nobody will give us the slighest chance and that is just the way we like it. Hopefully all will fall in place the next day and we nick a one point win. You never know.

Up the Deise.

Dick phelan Registered User
#6,899

Feck sake if we are relying on good weather to win games we'll never win an AI.

1 person has thanked this post
mickmackmcgoo Registered User
#6,900

I think this will be our 9th semi final in 15 years which is a great record but only won one of them up too now

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!