italodisco Registered User

hi folks,
just wondering if any of you have bought an old steel bike off Paul from dublinbikeman.com?
I'm interested in 1 or 2 bikes from his site but unsure of quality and to be honest he's a little overpriced.
just curious if anyone can advise.

Cheers

Darkglasses I have the best words.

italodisco said:
hi folks,
just wondering if any of you have bought an old steel bike off Paul from dublinbikeman.com?
I'm interested in 1 or 2 bikes from his site but unsure of quality and to be honest he's a little overpriced.
just curious if anyone can advise.

Cheers

Wouldn't recommend, a mate of mine bought one and it was pretty bad value. I'm sure his stuff can be hit or miss, but my friend got a complete pup. It was one of his slightly retro european tourers, and it was in a pretty bad state. BB was shagged within a month and the front derailleur basically spontaneously combusted.

comeehan Registered User

I would not advise you to get your bike from Paul. I bought a €240 bike from him and at first it worked great. Then 6 weeks later, after having only used the bike on Dublin roads, the left handlebar snapped clean off as I was cycling it, causing me to fall and fracture a bone in my forearm and almost lose two front teeth.

I can't say for sure why the handlebars snapped, but to me the only reasonable explanation is that they were too old/structurally weak. Paul's idea was that it was because they were vandalised (there was no sign of this), or because of the way I was riding the bike (whatever that means). I've been told by a bike shop that the bike is probably more than 30 years old - so age seems to be a more reasonable explanation. Given how old it was, I think the handlebars should have been replaced before it was sold to me. The frame was steel, which gives it a very long lifetime, but the handlebars were aluminium, which means they are at risk of snapping if left on the bike for too long. Evidently, 30+ years is too long.

So my advice is to stay safe and buy your bike from a shop.

And if you have 30+ year old handlebars, think about replacing them!

saccades Registered User

Holy moly - he's trying to get premium prices for everyday 20-30 year old tat.

exage groupset and he's looking for e350!

Does he go to france and buy cheap auction stuff by the van load.

I've an similarly aged Kona (a recognisable good brand) in good condition with stx/xt (middle to upper spec) groupset and it's not worth half what he's asking for a no-name bike fitted with low level shimano stuff.

happytramp Registered User

Freewheeling on Pearse St do nice secondhand stuff.... might be worth giving them a ring.

cjonesy1 Registered User

Wouldn't recommend either. I bought a bike off him and had problems within 5 minutes of cycling it.

Andy Magic Registered User

I'm currently searching for a tt bike (second hand) and whenever i google search this **** looking site keeps coming up.. So I googled it and it brought me back here.. Anyway it got me thinking, where does he get the bikes from ? There's a lot of really old bikes there, is he a time traveler

alexinkildare Registered User

Try Coynes in Kinnegad. Always have decent stuff in stock and as far as i know hes clearing out the second hand stock atm

1 person has thanked this post

alexinkildare said:
Try Coynes in Kinnegad. Always have decent stuff in stock and as far as i know hes clearing out the second hand stock atm

Cheers, I'll actually be in Kinnegad Saturday

Tell him Alex from Kinnegad Cycling Club sent you. What are you looking for anyway? Road, MTB or Hybrid?

alexinkildare said:
Tell him Alex from Kinnegad Cycling Club sent you. What are you looking for anyway? Road, MTB or Hybrid?

TT bike, however I've checked there FB and no sign of any

I'd ring the shop tbh. FB might not be all that up to date.

Wishbone Ash Registered User

Andy Magic said:
... Anyway it got me thinking, where does he get the bikes from ? There's a lot of really old bikes there, is he a time traveler
He goes over to France and buys them in bulk.

1 person has thanked this post
Dubliner111 Registered User

<snip>

Wishbone Ash Registered User

Dubliner111 said:
... so I was getting puncture every second week while cycling only in the city...
Leaving aside everything else, you do realise that you are much more likely to get punctures in an urban area.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!