LIGHTNING Moderator

They aren't worth that much to be honest. If it needs work/welding I wouldn't be paying much for one.

Dades Would you like to know more?

Mitchomagic said:
Hi

Whats the going values for 924 ?. I know where the is 1,its a project 79,needs sills etc and a good going over but its a runner, might make an offer but need ideas on what offer to make?,what are the things to watch out for when buying one ? also what are good examples worth, might be better to go down that road then a project depending on values

thanks
A 1979 at least won't have the pain of an NCT, but without knowing what state the car is in it's impossible to put a value on it. At the very least you want it running and stopping well. Otherwise it's a few hundred quid project car. What kind of mileage is on it? How's the interior? Usually a good indicator of age and treatment. The dashboard will probably have cracks in it but most every 924 does.

The electrics might be a source of pain if they're not up to scratch, so I'd be asking about the windows (hopefully manual winders in a '79), wipers, lamps, etc.

I just had €500 of welding work done including sills and more, but the car is my daily driver.

That said, I'm thinking seriously about parting with her this year as it's not really feasible to maintain my commute. I have to have a car 5 days a week and daft things (like a faulty headlight switch) that wouldn't be an issue with a weekend car are now showstoppers. Would be a serious wrench for me though.

LIGHTNING Moderator

Dades said:
A 1979 at least won't have the pain of an NCT, but without knowing what state the car is in it's impossible to put a value on it. At the very least you want it running and stopping well. Otherwise it's a few hundred quid project car. What kind of mileage is on it? How's the interior? Usually a good indicator of age and treatment. The dashboard will probably have cracks in it but most every 924 does.

The electrics might be a source of pain if they're not up to scratch, so I'd be asking about the windows (hopefully manual winders in a '79), wipers, lamps, etc.

I just had €500 of welding work done including sills and more, but the car is my daily driver.

That said, I'm thinking seriously about parting with her this year as it's not really feasible to maintain my commute. I have to have a car 5 days a week and daft things (like a faulty headlight switch) that wouldn't be an issue with a weekend car are now showstoppers. Would be a serious wrench for me though.

Dont do it! I have a daily and two classics and I havent driven any of them in a week

2 people have thanked this post

LIGHTNING said:
Dont do it! I have a daily and two classics and I havent driven any of them in a week
Unless I got a decent price for the 924 I wouldn't dream of it. But if it can part fund something (mildly interesting) I can get to work in every day then I'll have to consider it.

Keeping three cars on the road isn't ideal when I've already three kids to keep fed!

Just an update on my headlights (for anyone with future issues)...

Turns out my mechanic is right. Don't be messing about with untested second hand parts if you can pick up what you need new.

I got a hold of a second hand earlier switch which I managed to get into the dock on my loom. (I had to cut an old spade adaptor out of the dock and add in a new one).

Could only get half lamps working, but the garage next door to me in work took apart the switch and cleaned it up a bit - including some melted bits - and now with some fiddling I can get the full beams up.

I've now ordered a new one from porscheshop.co.uk which I should have done in the first place.

1 person has thanked this post
salysol Registered User

If any of the 924 owners on here need some parts, i might have what you need.

3 people have thanked this post
LIGHTNING Moderator

salysol said:
If any of the 924 owners on here need some parts, i might have what you need.

+1

You helped me out sourcing a steering rack that was in far better shape than the one that was in my 924.

salysol Registered User

LIGHTNING said:
+1

You helped me out sourcing a steering rack that was in far better shape than the one that was in my 924.

That's a few years ago now !!!

1 person has thanked this post
LIGHTNING Moderator

Looks like the cold winter has killed my two classics batteries. Sure am glad my parents got me loads of Halfords vouchers for xmas

2 people have thanked this post

Thumbs up for a new battery! It's a new lease of life for the old electronics!

My folks gave me a Diffneys voucher for Christmas.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!