AP2014 Banned

Count Mondego said:
I wouldn't mind them coming into the shed and eating a few loose nuts, but the dirty [email protected] have to make about 50 shytes over the blocks of silage. For that reason alone, they deserve the lead.

Seems like the nuts you are giving them are running through the poor feckers. Could ya get more fibre into them, might help.

Is netting of some sort an option?

Looking at my sheep tunnel, the only weak spot re birds is if I had to leave the doors open. I intend to get weldmesh sheets to block out the birds in that instance which won't impede airflow.

Must be some sort of decent anti bird netting available out there.

Kristopherus Registered User

Galebreaker is your only man

Cow Porter Registered User

tim04750 said:
Tried shooting ,its addictive but futile
Tried a bird scarer , useless
Tried fluttering tape, useless
Tried an artificial hawk, worked for a couple of days
Final solution.

What size birds were the problem, ie starlings or crows.
Both are wrecking our heads here, the high pitch of starlings is deafening and the crows landing on silage pits. Not to mind disease risk from the cnuts

Crows were the problem , but I dont think starlings would get through either,
Closed herd here except for bulls and somehow acquired crypto and coccidiosis in calves, blamed crows right or wrong.

Muckit Registered User

Plenty of birds coming into shed and pooing everywhere.

Before I read this thread l was thinking of taking off the galvanise off doors bar the bottom 5' or so and replacing with windbreak. Anyone done this? I don't think there is any real need for fully sheeted doors is there?

GERMAN ROCKS Registered User

I actually have a bit of a problem as well, only its with 3 or 4 pigeons. They basically live in one shed and will only leave if I come in and scare them. There back again in 10 minutes after I'm gone out. ****ttting below rafters. ANy solution.

MF290 Registered User

GERMAN ROCKS said:
I actually have a bit of a problem as well, only its with 3 or 4 pigeons. They basically live in one shed and will only leave if I come in and scare them. There back again in 10 minutes after I'm gone out. ****ttting below rafters. ANy solution.

2 people have thanked this post
GERMAN ROCKS Registered User

MF290 said:

don't have one of those machines I'm afraid. Is there any pellet gun one can buy where you don't need a licence but would have the power to deal with these lads.

Birdnuts Registered User

GERMAN ROCKS said:
don't have one of those machines I'm afraid. Is there any pellet gun one can buy where you don't need a licence but would have the power to deal with these lads.

Air/pellet gun would be the job alright. Done some of that work years ago - can't remember the exact story with licence but the lads on the hunting forum should have up to date info on that. Failing that some sort of plastic/false owl or falcon of the type you get in garden centres should help move them on

1 person has thanked this post
Track9 Registered User

Recently saw a low cost method in a grain store .
Does Not impact on the day to day operation of the shed .
Run some light wire criss cross the shed under the roof .Then cable tie old fishing net to the cross wires . Ensure any cross beams etc are above the net . The birds want to be able to perch on high cross members for safety the suspended net prevents this , they won't stay around crapping & cawing in the shed . Also add in a few good cats & feed them in the shed . It works very well .

1 person has thanked this post
BrianG23 Registered User

Keep an eye out for 'Goliate Birdeater' which pops up from time to time
http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/adults-adults-c-21_34.html

They'll tend to your issues. Any and all small rodents such as feral cats, feral children and mice too.

cathal irwin Registered User

Marysmyth2011 said:
I have a shed with 100 head in it.
How do I keep the birds out of it ?

Throw a dead crow on the roof

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!