CiDeRmAn Category Moderator
#8,431

I'm torn on the Tempest repro there.
I'm a big Tempest fan and would love that and Robotron as dedicated cabs but, I think the tiny screen and controls would be too frustrating to use.
It does make me wonder about the possibility of building a mount for a spinner for my own cab, or maybe create something bespoke with a spare RPi0 and a CRT.
A vector table top perhaps?

Inviere Registered User
#8,432

An interesting piece on input lag (Snes Mini versus RetroPie versus Retroarch on PC) - https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-input-lag-investigation/4407/585

1 person has thanked this post
Shapey Fiend Registered User
#8,433

You know I was waiting forever to play Tempest in the flesh, finally did this weekend and I wasn't quite as blown away as I thought I would be. Asteroids, and the Vectrex game whatever it was, looked amazing with that glowing clarity. The monitor on the Tempest looked quite pixely by comparison. Maybe it wasn't very well calibrated I don't know.

1 person has thanked this post
CiDeRmAn Category Moderator
#8,434

Shapey Fiend said:
You know I was waiting forever to play Tempest in the flesh, finally did this weekend and I wasn't quite as blown away as I thought I would be. Asteroids, and the Vectrex game whatever it was, looked amazing with that glowing clarity. The monitor on the Tempest looked quite pixely by comparison. Maybe it wasn't very well calibrated I don't know.


I used to play the excellent Spectrum port years ago, and little prepared me for Tempest 2000 via RGB on the Jag. But my eyes be blessed, Tempest 3000, via the Nuon , on a Plasma display is just jaw dropping

Retr0gamer Category Moderator
#8,435

Pixellated vector game? Something tells me you were playing an emulated version.

Inviere Registered User
#8,436

Retr0gamer said:
Pixellated vector game? Something tells me you were playing an emulated version on a non vector screen.


A slight correction

Retr0gamer Category Moderator
#8,437

Would the arcade version even work on a non vector screen?

Shapey Fiend Registered User
#8,438

I googled that earlier and no, you can't run the original hardware on a raster screen.

Battlezone, Asteroids and the Vectrex looked great.

But colour vector monitors are pretty thin on the ground so not beyond the possibility that they'd emulate and use a raster crt I guess.

Inviere Registered User
#8,439

Retr0gamer said:
Would the arcade version even work on a non vector screen?


Wouldn't the screen type determine the visual output though? If you were emulating ON a vector screen, the game would look as it should; if you were emulating a vector game on a crt screen, it's not going to look as it should.

Skerries Registered User
#8,440

Crash (Spectrum mag) to finally get it's 100th issue on Kickstarter

http://www.retro-now.com/breaking-news-crash-issue-100-announced/

3 people have thanked this post
Retr0gamer Category Moderator
#8,441

Inviere said:
Retr0gamer said:
Would the arcade version even work on a non vector screen?


Wouldn't the screen type determine the visual output though? If you were emulating ON a vector screen, the game would look as it should; if you were emulating a vector game on a crt screen, it's not going to look as it should.


No. Vector monitors work totally differently to a crt and with hardware at the time being so basic you really had to work to how the display device worked.

A crt draws line by line using a rastered electron beam. A vector monitor gives the beam a coordinate on the screen then an end point and a line is drawn between them. If you send that display information to a crt it just wouldn't work.

If it was an emulated version I'm sure you could be able to set it up to send vector information but I'm not sure how easy that would be.

1 person has thanked this post
Inviere Registered User
#8,442

Retr0gamer said:
If you send that display information to a crt it just wouldn't work.


That's what I'm saying, in that, any pixelation isn't being caused just because "it's emulation", it's being caused because the vector game isn't being played on a vector screen. It's being played on a crt screen, two completely different technologies.

If it was an emulated version I'm sure you could be able to set it up to send vector information but I'm not sure how easy that would be.


It can be done, there are patches for Mame to do it - https://trmm.net/Vector_games_32c3

1 person has thanked this post
#8,443

Skerries said:
Crash (Spectrum mag) to finally get it's 100th issue on Kickstarter

http://www.retro-now.com/breaking-news-crash-issue-100-announced/


The annual they did was excellent, so hopefully this will be as good. They are definitely doing a zzap 64 one too this year, if you're that way inclined,(though I think it might still be illegal in this country, and if it's not, it should be )

2 people have thanked this post
o1s1n Registered User
#8,444

Any time I read up on vector monitors it gives me flashbacks of doing higher level geometry for the leaving cert

1 person has thanked this post
o1s1n Registered User
#8,445

All this talk of vector monitors has me wanting a Vectrex again...

Anyone know what the going rate is these days? Seem to be a few on ebay in the UK for in and around the £150 mark?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!