Doge Registered User
#7,171

Never knew Resident Evil 1 was being developed for the Gameboy colour!

Skip to 11:30

2 people have thanked this post
CiDeRmAn Category Moderator
#7,172

I remember it being announced and previews in the press at the time.
They should have just released it.
While they, in the video, say that Capcom felt it did not do the franchise justice, it didn't stop them from publishing Resi 5,6 and Mercenaries!

Skerries Registered User
#7,173

eddhorse Registered User
#7,174

[quote="Inviere;103817243

Gorgeous machines I prefer the black/green combo, plus that model has the 6ft long controller chords too!

Famicom owners should get this little dongle :
http://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/

FDSStick
It's a Famicom Disk System (FDS) drive emulator.
Write games to FDSStick over USB, then connect to a FDS RAM adapter to play.
Contains 256Mbit internal flash. Enough space to hold every FDS game and more! Loads a built-in game menu on startup.
Push the button to change disk sides (once for side A, twice for side B, etc.) or hold to eject.
Read and write disks from an FDS drive with an adapter cable (not included).
Connect both sides of FDSStick to run games directly from a PC.
Game Doctor disk format is fully supported.
Firmware is upgradable over USB.

3 people have thanked this post
#7,175

To paraphrase The Commitments,
Betcha Jeff Minter is sh1tting himself! (edit: He isn't)

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/06/18/report-atari-ceo-fred-chesnais-confirms-company-is-working-on-new-console.aspx

The Last Bandit Registered User
#7,176

Watching this with interest alright, a PC based system is a bit vague though.

#7,177

The Last Bandit said:
Watching this with interest alright, a PC based system is a bit vague though.

Minter had his nethers kicked when he wanted to launch the excellent TxK on systems besides the Vita, Atari, or rather who ever is currently the owner of the logo, said that they had their own plans for the Tempest IP, as well as the other legacy Atari IP, and denied him use.
Not only that, but they refused to enter into negotiations to take their cut, as a licencee of the IP, and let TxK be launched on the various digital platforms.
So, finished versions of TxK are out there, on a HDD in a sheep/llama farm in Wales, and no one will ever be able to play them.
Now, I know we got the excellent Polybius instead, but Atari are @rseholes.
Minter stated he couldn't wait to see what they were going to do with Tempest, unlikely as it is to be very good.

Link to the Article!
Nothing that Atari hs done with their legacy has been as good as the work Minter has done over the years, and failed systems!

Jaguar, Tempest 2000
Nuon Tempest 3000
Vita TxK

Retr0gamer Category Moderator
#7,178

Game journalism has gotten so bad these days. There's a lovely bit of revisionist history over on eurogamer about how crash bandicoot was a pioneer for 3D. Probably written by someone that grew up with a playstation only.

I was there and remember it felt old hat compared to Mario 64 which was released before it. And that was the common consensus at the time from anyone other than playstation focused publications.

It really annoys me as this will forever be on the Internet as a historical reference especially from a usually trustworthy publication like eurogamer.

The Last Bandit Registered User
#7,179

Retr0gamer said:
Game journalism has gotten so bad these days. There's a lovely bit of revisionist history over on eurogamer about how crash bandicoot was a pioneer for 3D. Probably written by someone that grew up with a playstation only.

I was there and remember it felt old hat compared to Mario 64 which was released before it. And that was the common consensus at the time from anyone other than playstation focused publications.

It really annoys me as this will forever be on the Internet as a historical reference especially from a usually trustworthy publication like eurogamer.

Did you read the developer blogs linked in the article ? Very good (lengthy) insight into the development of the game series, regardless of our opinion of the game itself its worth the read.

#7,180

The Last Bandit said:
Did you read the developer blogs linked in the article ? Very good (lengthy) insight into the development of the game series, regardless of our opinion of the game itself its worth the read.

It's pretty much the same as what was said in a previous retrogamer article from 2 years ago. Make no mistake, at the time the game was a technical marvel on the PS1 and mark cerny worked miracles on the system but the actual game felt old hat compared to Mario 64 or even jumping flash before it. Those games let go of the linear level design of previous games and fully embraced 3D exploration the way crash didn't.

Also I do b to think the first crash was even that stellar a platformer.

#7,181

Hmm.
Mario 64 was a set of open levels, cleverly adapted depending on the goal of the selected star at the outset, full of creative spark and ingenuity, beyond the Grass/Snow/Lava/Mech level trends.
Crash Bandicoot mixed it up a little.
Crash ran into the screen.
Crash ran out of the screen.
On some occasions, Crash ran from side to side.
Such innovation... the hurts, the hurts!
Spyro, at least, tried to bring the 3D world into life, as did the sublime but easy Jumping Flash....

Damn

Now I want to go home and play Jumping Flash again.
On a digital pad (only way to do it!!)

1 person has thanked this post
#7,182

I was thinking the same about Jumping Flash!

1 person has thanked this post
#7,183

Retr0gamer said:
I was thinking the same about Jumping Flash!

I'm lucky, I have the Jumping Flash trilogy, including the 3rd japan only title.
The maddestt hing about JF is that it was a launch title!
Quite a bold thing to do, produce a 3D platformer, with solutions to all sorts of 3D issues, like giving your robo-rabbit feet and the ability to look down, before anyone else.
Also, the first person view meant that there were no camera issues!

I recall bringing my PS with me on night duty, and when all my folk were fast asleep I popped the system onto the TV and finished JF in an hour or two, such a fun two hours though!
The second one is fairly short too.
I have yet to play through the third one.... must be about time!

#7,184

It amazes me we suffered years of **** platforming in fps games until Metroid prime came along and borrowed the jumping flash system wholesale.

J_E Registered User
#7,185

Jumping Flash 2 was one of the most brilliant action platformers on the PS1! Damn hard on later levels too.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!