Signpost Registered User
#1,606

According to ICBF first cow due 7th Feb, hoping nothing goes until at least Feb 1 and I'll be happy

degetme Registered User
#1,607

Icbf say 28th Jan but I'll be guessing the 5 days before that. Going to delay calving next year to first days of Feb.

Mooooo Registered User
#1,608

First due the 26th, but had a Feb Calver throw a calf y day. One cow springing up due the end of January but that would be her form. Must offload a shot of yearlings and autumn calves and dry of last of spring calvers a bit of fencing and dosing to do as well and set up calf sheds

whelan2 Registered User
#1,609

Mooooo said:
First due the 26th, but had a Feb Calver throw a calf y day. One cow springing up due the end of January but that would be her form. Must offload a shot of yearlings and autumn calves and dry of last of spring calvers a bit of fencing and dosing to do as well and set up calf sheds

Will you do all that tomorrow ?

3 people have thanked this post
valtra2 Registered User
#1,610

First one calfed today twins of ceq. Few down getting near it. Start the 10th.

1 person has thanked this post
RD10 Registered User
#1,611

between not going in calf and various other reasons ive gotten rid of 7 cows since the end of last year. one cow that was due in march threw a five month foetus a few weeks ago si am hoping for more luck during calving.

Mooooo Registered User
#1,612

whelan2 said:
Will you do all that tomorrow ?


Ha I wish, half fcuked with flu last few days so daily stuff is tiring enough. A few cattle will be off to Mart mon, will dose young stock 2moro and once aut calves are gone will sort calf sheds. Will do fencing bit by bit in between. Must transfer a bit of slurry as well

GrasstoMilk Registered User
#1,613

RD10 said:
First one due the 6th here. couple more heifers due in january aswell, all in-calf to ZAG.
Was thinking of doing some soil testing here for the first time this year. what's the best time of year to do it?
anyone have calves on the ground yet we could get a few pictures of?


Jan would be best time to do it before you put out slurry
What was spread last year should have well left its stamp on the ground or been used by now ie. your not getting false reading from fert you might have spread say 10 days ago if you were to do it middle of the year

KatyMac Registered User
#1,614

first one here due 14th February - she is very reliable, so no romantic dinner out for me

1 person has thanked this post
golodge Registered User
#1,615

The first one calved last week(284days). The second calved yesterday(288days) and others are close too. Both bulls. So far good start.
Yesterday born boy. Around 55kgs or so. Cow calved without assistance.

13 people have thanked this post
patsy_mccabe Registered User
#1,616

Just pulled a whopper of a Lim bull calf. I couldn't lift him of the ground, that's how heavy he was. Cow is PBR and I haven't got the tag no. of the bull yet. Way too much condition on the cow. That's the problem with buying them too close to calving. Not enough time to slim them down.

TITANIUM. Registered User
#1,617

patsy_mccabe said:
Just pulled a whopper of a Lim bull calf. I couldn't lift him of the ground, that's how heavy he was. Cow is PBR and I haven't got the tag no. of the bull yet. Way too much condition on the cow. That's the problem with buying them too close to calving. Not enough time to slim them down.


Yep dangerous as fcuk calving cows with that much condition. A real bug bear of mine.
He'll probably be dopey for awhile now aswell. But you got him out without to much incident by the sounds of it. so twould give you confidence in the cow going forward. Alls well that ends well I suppose.

2 people have thanked this post
patsy_mccabe Registered User
#1,618

Ya as soon as I handled her, I knew it would be grand. Cow is huge at the hips. I'd love to weigh him. I couldn't even lift the back of him up, that's with his front still down.

charolais0153 Registered User
#1,619

patsy_mccabe said:
Ya as soon as I handled her, I knew it would be grand. Cow is huge at the hips. I'd love to weigh him. I couldn't even lift the back of him up, that's with his front still down.


Take s picture

1 person has thanked this post
patsy_mccabe Registered User
#1,620

To give you an idea of size, the cow was 725kg a few weeks ago when I bought her.

Attachments
20170114_050049.jpg
8 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!